UK is the right place to learn about coastal environment and engineering and to broaden my network

skhaor 5 / 8 2  

Study Plan for Chevening Essay

My last major in Physical Oceanography and my latest work in a coastal protection company inspired me to take advanced studies in more applicative and specific area which is coastal engineering. Moreover, my personal motivation is I was growing up in an archipelagic country with 54,716 kilometers of coastal length. It is irritating that on the other side, this potential is still undeveloped well. Several disasters are often occured in the coastal. For example: erosion in the north Java (Indramayu, Cirebon), flood and water intrusion in Jakarta, or natural damage in Indonesia's most coastals. In my current work in X which now handle some of coastal protection in Batam Island and flood protection in Jakarta, I realize that we needs some professionals who can solve problems, design, and integrate knowledge and skills to develop its huge potential of coastal and marines.

I found that UK is a great maritime country, including it's coastal management. So, United Kingdom is the right place to learn about coastal environment and engineering and also to boarden my network globally. In addition, I have a plan to be a lecturer and also to run a business in this area, which is X. That was the foundation of my decision of taking master degree in the UK.

I choose to study at University of Southampton because they have collaboration with National Oceanography Centre Southampton that allowed students work alongside researchers and academics who are world leaders in their field. Due to the collaboration, University of Southampton become part of the largest Earth and Marine science community in Europe. This advance can strengthen my network and opportunities. My first option is Engineering in the Coastal Environment and my second choice is Marine Engineering. Both programmes provided courses I need.

My last choice is Master of Coastal Engineering at Plymouth University. The university located near coastal and has excellent facilities including laboratory for coastal engineering. Besides, they has internationally-recognise research group.The courses they provide is also fit my needs.

Both universities are advance in coastal engineering area, and I believe that knowledge and connection I got can enhance my future career as a businessman in my father's coastal protection company, which is where I work now.
Hiwi_Life 10 / 31 7  
@skhaor
Shofia, Organizing your essay will give a better understanding for the reader and that is what you should do. So start with your last study and current work to give an insight in your first paragraph and then you can explain your choices in separate paragraph based on the contents of the courses and what you will get from it to upgrade your profession. I hope this helps you.
Shofia, do not take shortcuts with this pivotal essay. You are rushing it and you are not doing a very good job of creating your application essays in the process. In this instance, you decided that it would be enough to mention the university and simply state that your first and second course choices are housed at that university. Huh? So what then? Why should the reviewer care that these courses exist there? There are no individualized discussions as to why these courses are important to you and how these will help your career in the future. Simply stating that the courses provided suit your needs doesn't tell the reviewer anything about the importance of these courses to your future career. What needs are you talking about? How does the course provide career growth for you? You need to develop the responses by explaining, in individual paragraphs, what academic courses you took that relate to this masters degree and what professional problems completing this course will address. Indicate how your current profession has already given you a background in this area. Do that for each course specification. Chevening doesn't like it when the applicants submit haphazard essays. That normally does not sit well with them and will affect the outcome of your application.

Home / Scholarship / UK is the right place to learn about coastal environment and engineering and to broaden my network