The role of Local Government to Develop Local Industries

veron1k4 1 / 1  

sop for GLOCAL Program

This is my Statement of Purpose for GLOCAL Program Track D. I really appreciate for those who spare their time to review. Thank you very much.

I am writing this letter with intention to apply for Global Market and Local Creative Program. I studied International Relation for my Bachelor Degree and currently work as public officer at local government in East Nusa Tenggara Province, the easternmost region in Indonesia. I am interested to apply for this program because it focuses the effect of globalization, particularly global economy on the local level. As I want to advance my education and at the same time make contribution for the field that I currently work, I believe this program is suitable to meet those needs. Moreover by joining this program, I am able to improve my critical thinking, enhance my communication skill and being culturally sensitive, as I will encounter people from various backgrounds and at different countries.

During my undergraduate program, I had studied several courses that had similarities with Glocal's main theme. I had taken several courses such as International Relation Theory, Globalization, International Economy, International Financial System and Institutions and Multinational Corporations Management. My bachelor degree provides me with enough theoretical background to pursue my education through this program. By attending this program, it would give me opportunity to extend my knowledge on theoretical aspect but further enable me to learn how it was implemented in real lives through internship or on-site training. I choose the Track D because it concentrates on globalized economy and how it affects local economy. By taking courses such as Creative Cities: Intervention Models and Entrepreneurial Dynamics, I want to to explore how government both in national and local level create infrastructure and policy to stimulate local creative industry. By doing on-site research training in Japan, I have practical experience on what I have been thought during the program. Japanese has been known for its local industry known to the world. There are also several courses that I think would be crucial both for my education and work namely Technology Transfer in Global Economy (I want to explore how this works on global scheme and the potential of my local government to be part of it), Critical Consumption Studies (I intend to explore how local creativity and industry can have global appeal and how to meet its standard), Conflict Management in Negotiation (I want to improve my organizational skill) and finally Economic Development and Policy in the Asia-Pacific (I want to explore how the policy which put both global and local into consideration in Asia-Pacific the closest region and partner of Indonesia).

I currently work as civil servant at Local Government of East Nusa Tenggara Province. I am assigned at Inspectorate, an oversight and internal control unit. Though working there has not direct impact on society, the role of it is to give assurance that government' activities complied with regulations and can be hold accountable. On regular basis we conduct performance audit on all government's units. In certain extends we do verification directly on the field asking targeted people whether they have receives aid and if it was suitable for their needs. My work provides me with invaluable insight on how government work and specifically each agencies work to achieve their plan. At the end of audit term, we deliver our audit findings and include the recommendation to improve the performances.

I had participated in audit of Industry and Trade Working Agency, which has main responsibilities to develop local industry and to facilitate foreign trade. They identify local business and help to develop it and create infrastructure to make it available on the market. One of the audit findings was it had failed to facilitate trade deal with Timor Leste and the main reason was the program was poorly coordinated, lack of data potential businesses and insufficient understanding of how foreign trade works particularly for local government. Another finding was the unsuccessful effort to map and codify region's traditional weaving textiles. It signifies how the creative industries need protection from local government to preserve its culture and to boost economic growth. Seeing these problems therefore I would to take part to make a change by strengthening the role of local government to nurture and develop local industries particularly, small and village based businesses. East Nusa Tenggara Province is undergoing massive renovation to promote its tourism sector. Creative and small can utilize exposure from tourism to boost local industries and government play role to ensure the industries is qualified and protected.

Upon completion of the program, I intend to return to work at local government and assigned at Industry and Trade Agency. I will use my knowledge I gained to improve database of local industry particularly small businesses. The data is useful to define how each business can get assistance and training according their needs. Thus, it helps them to market and sell their product that has been passed quality standard. I also plan to help government to establish quality standard agency to ensure the goods are compliance with market demand. The training, in particular, I would like to help local business to implement sustainable environment-conscious practices. I also want to utilize the networking system I create during my study to establish cooperation that share expertise and practices. In the long term, I want local industries to be economically independent and have spill over effect to boost economy in communities.

Aside from becoming full time worker, I am also a member of Indonesian Society of Botanical Art since 2017. My main goal is to improve my skill in Botanical Art. Every year the organization upholds exhibitions showcasing Indonesian native's plants. I had applied for 2020 exhibition, but due to pandemic the event was cancelled. In the future I plan to hold my own exhibition to promote native plants from East Nusa Tenggara Province. At the same time I would like establish conservation initiative; to introduce to the public the diversity of native plants in our region. Therefore, if I got accepted I would like take this opportunity to enhance my skill by taking courses or attending workshops of botanical art. Because Europe is the centre of botanical art that it becomes standard for artists around the world and I look up to some European based artists for knowledge and inspiration. In addition, if I got selected, I would like to improve my French. Studying in multilingual speaking continent, I intend to take advantage to gain knowledge, learn new language and culture.
The reference to your membership in the Indonesian Society of Botanical Art is not related to the actual masters course you will be taking. It does not relate to your actual profession. You cannot use that reference in this essay. It is an irrelevant presentation that takes away from the previously informative paragraph presentations. You should remove that final paragraph. Develop a more interesting concluding paragraph by instead discussing the university choice you made and the factors that led you to choose the university for your masters course.

There is no clear or definitive purpose presented in the essay. You need to have a more solid career progression presentation in this essay. How do you hope this scholarship and the studies you undertake will help your future career? Where do you see yourself working after completing this course? Where might you be working in 5 years? How will this course help you achieve career advancement? You are speaking merely of returning to your old job, without a forward looking plan. That weakens the essay. Sure you have to go back to your original job. Where do you hope to go from there? Your career sounds like it will stagnate after you return from the course completion.

You have strong credentials presented here. You just may be a contender for the scholarship program, if you can work on making the presentation more informative for the consideration of the review.
OP veron1k4 1 / 1  
Glocal

Hello Holt, thank you very much for your review, I really appreciate it.

Home / Scholarship / The role of Local Government to Develop Local Industries