Rotary's motto is Service above Self. How have you served your community in the past and now?

joseph256 2 / 3  

Essay Questions for Rotary International Scholarship

(100 - 300 words per question)

Rotary's motto is Service above Self. In what ways have you served your community in the past, and in what ways do you currently serve your community?

After my Bachelor's Degree I volunteered at Uganda Water Project (UWP) which was a voluntary Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). As a volunteer I participated in a program to improve the sanitation and hygiene of pupils within primary schools in my home area. I sensitized the pupils in schools through presentations on the good practices of sanitation and hygiene like washing hand after using the Latrines and before eating food to avoid diseases like diarrhea and cholera. Under the same program we were able to build toilets and provide hand washing equipment at the new and existing toilets.

I have also recently worked with farmers in my community through workshops to teach them the best methods for management of water for agricultural production. I made different presentation involving different techniques of irrigation and harvesting rain water for agriculture. This helped reduce the number of families who were faced with a problem of food security and malnutrition as many of them adapted the method of small scale farming with the help of drip irrigation. I also advised them on the best crops to grow within the different seasons so that they can be able to counter the climate changes occurring within the country.

Currently, as a member of the Young Water Professional in Uganda, I am the representative for my home area as regards any activities to do with water sanitation hygiene and the environment. I have organized several community clean up exercises and tree planting activities. As the leader I organize fellow youth with in the community and we do clean the market area, burn solid waste and also sensitize the people in the community about the advantages of waste management and the diseases they can avoid.

2. What are the most pressing water and sanitation issues in your community? How will your academic program and future career help you to address these issues?

My community lacks a reliable potable water supply source. The community usually relies on rain water harvesting and a seasonal lake which usually dries up during the dry season. However due to the climate change the rainfall season has become unpredictable and also there is a reduction in the amount of rainfall received. People in the community have resorted to water from unsafe water sources to survive. This has led to an increase in the number of people suffering from chronic diseases like diarrhea and cholera because of the poor sanitation which all stem from the lack of a reliable and safe water source. Due to the disease outbreaks and spending a lot of time in search for water there has been a reduction in the productivity of people through activities like farming and children going to school. Most of the families that rely on irrigated agriculture for food are now faced with a problem of food insecurity and malnutrition since they cannot grow crops due to lack of water for irrigation.

Enrolling for the Master Programme in Water Science and Engineering with a specialization in hydrology and water resources will equip me with skills necessary for dealing with issues that affect both ground and surface water in terms of quantity and quality to help address water security and improve sanitation in my community. The study will enable me have in-depth understanding of water resources management and better conceptualize the impacts of human activities on the hydrological cycle; skills that are expected to combat catchment degradation and reduce frequency of droughts. The program will equip me with knowledge to help in developing and implementing water resources projects in the community. With availability of water it is my hope that most of the challenges faced by the community will be solved.

3.Once you have completed the UNESCO-IHE program, how might you work with Rotarians to address water and sanitation issues in your community?
After completing my UNESCO-IHE program First and fore most I will join the rotary club and engage in the activities and projects aimed at improving the water and sanitation situation in my community and country at large.

I will work with Rotarians and help create awareness about water and sanitation in schools through sensitization and empowerment of school going children and also encourage the formation of school water and sanitation clubs. This will greatly reduce the common avoidable diseases like diarrhea and cholera among school going children.

With my acquired knowledge I will work with Rotarians in partnership with community leaders like Local council heads and perform routine activities like tree planting, community cleanups and sensitization on water and sanitation related issue. This will help people appreciate the importance of a clean environment as a way of avoiding diseases and as well the advantages trees have in curbing climate change. The key for me is community involvement therefore I believe if I work with Rotarians and the community leaders to get the people involved and participate in the different water management, hygiene and sanitation projects I can be able to bring a positive change to the people of my community.

After my studies I will also work with Rotarians to design and exploit other sources of water like ground water so as to provide an alternative water source to the community during the dry season to ensure water security throughout the year.
Joseph, due to the length of the word requirement of essay for the prompts provided, I'm constrained by forum rules to only review the top most essay in your list of responses. You will have to post each of your essays individually this time and I will respond to each individually. In the meantime, here's my review for your top most prompt losing.

In order to keep with the theme of your being an Uganda Water Project volunteer, you have to remove the reference to teaching the farmers. While that activity was done within the organization, it kind of deviating from the earlier discussion. The most related presentations are paragraphs one and three since the first half deals with a previous volunteer activity and the last part is the current activity. The current activity directly refers to the first in a continuing manner so it will be best to use the 2 related paragraphs instead. So the second paragraph becomes misplaced and unnecessary and can be deleted from the current response in order to improve and tighten the focus of the response.

Home / Scholarship / Rotary's motto is Service above Self. How have you served your community in the past and now?