"Seek knowledge even as far as China" - Global Exchange Scholarship (chemical eng)

ninamelia 1 / 1  
APPLICATION FOR THE

2011-2012
GLOBAL UNDERGRADUATE EXCHANGE PROGRAM

ESSAY: Personal Statement-350 - 500 words, typed.

If you are completing a computer application, please insert your essay responses below the appropriate essay question. If you are completing a paper application, please type your essay responses on separate sheets of paper and attach them to your completed application. Please describe yourself and write a clear and detailed description of your academic objectives and the reasons why you wish to pursue them in the USA. Discuss your goals both in terms of your field of study and your own personal development. Describe the type of program you wish to pursue in the USA and how it relates to your academic background and interests and your objectives for the future. The essay is an essential part of the selection process and of your application for placement into an appropriate program. Be sure to include any details that highlight your personality and individuality.

MY ESSAY:
"Seek knowledge even as far as China". Those words has inspired me since I was in secondary school. There are two important points that interest me, namely education and experiencing different culture. It has been my obsession to broaden my knowledge both in academic terms and life experiences.

Currently I am enrolled in chemical engineering undergraduate program. My objective is to graduate with good result and enough experience so I can continue my study abroad. That is the main reason why I want to join this exchange program. I hope this program will give me excellent opportunity to experience live and study in other country. Moreover, USA has wide range of field of study as well as culture. Living and studying in different country with different culture when I am still an undergraduate student will be a good preparation for my graduate study.

Pursuing master degree abroad relates with my goals, i.e. to do some research in industrial process especially in bioprocess engineering. I live in a country rich of natural resources but our industries has not been fully developed. I also want to develop myself better by studying abroad. I want to be more mature, able to take care of myself, learn other culture, comprehend the value, know how people in another country live their life, and see what they think of people from outside their country as I do. I love to befriend other people from different culture and participate in various organization and activities as I have done now such as join the student union, be a committee of national plant design competition, and be a member of cultural club.

I have been worked hard to reach my goals, including learn English by myself without attend any course outside the school and have two part time jobs to fund my French course since I was eager to learn other language but my parents could not afford it. This financial problem was also almost prevent me from studying undergraduate program but I got a scholarship to support my study. However that does not mean my parents do not support my education. They always ensure me to have best education I can get even with our limited condition. This spirit goes with me since I was a child.

Type of program I want to pursue in USA is a bachelor degree chemical engineering program that allows me to follow courses as well as do laboratory works or participate in research, parallel with my current academic background and interests. I am interested in chemistry and its industrial application since I got a medal of chemistry in national science olympiad. It also will be a foundation for my future plans that are to be a process engineer and start an education foundation to provide education for student with financial difficulty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is my essay. Please criticize and tell me which part I should change. Thank you very much.
nikkij1319 - / 1  
"Those words has (have) inspired me since I was in secondary school."

"My objective is to graduate with good fantastic result(s)"

"Living and studying in (a) different country with (a) different culture when I am still an undergraduate student will be a good preparation for my graduate stud(ies)."

"Pursuing (my) Master('s) Degree"

"industries has (have) not been"

"from different culture(s)"

"I have been work(ing) hard"

"learn(ing) English by myself without attend(ing)"

"problem was also almost prevent(ed) me"

"(The) type of program I want to pursue in (the) USA is a Bachelor('s) Degree in Chemical Engineering(,) a program that allows me to"

Very well written essay, just some grammar errors. Great Job!
OP ninamelia 1 / 1  
Thank you very much. Does my essay answer all the requirements above?
Add a sentence to this short first paragraph:
It has been my obsession to broaden my knowledge both in academic terms and life experiences. My interests include ________, _________, and _________, so it is important for me to spend the next few years _______ (doing what).

:-)

Say United States instead of USA

Pursuing master degree abroad relates with my goals, because I can participate in r esearch in industrial process especially in bioprocess engineering.

I think it answers the prompt quite well, but if you establish even MORE goals for yourself you can go into GREATER DEPTH in the discussion of how these next few years can help you achieve them.

Home / Scholarship / "Seek knowledge even as far as China" - Global Exchange Scholarship (chemical eng)