I selected the three university courses; Chevening - "Studying in the UK" Question

Eng Phin 6 / 14 6  
Hello, friends. I really need your help on my essay for Chevening, spefically for "Studying in the UK" Question, to review the content and grammar. Please read my essay below. I will be very pleased to receive any comments. Thank you.

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

I selected the three university courses because I realized that a comprehensive education related to my expertise in structural engineering becomes essential in order to achieve my goal, and career plan. So, gaining education at the courses I have selected, combined with my experience, will help me to be an engineer with profound skills in structural design.

The courses I have chosen relates to both my previous academic and professional experience. Since the end of 2014, I have been involved in some prestigious national projects, such as Mahkota Bridge, in 2014. It was the longest cable-stay bridge in Indonesia, and Melak Bridge, the second longest. The idea was to connect a remote area separated by wide stream, therefore stimulates economical growth on those areas. These projects really opened up my knowledge and interest in Bridge Engineering. My company was involved on Structural Design, and also the Construction Sequence Engineering.

In 2015 and 2016, I have the chance to be involved in Kualanamu Bridge and Semanggi Flyover, respectively, as the engineering team leader from my company. In contrast to previous projects I mentioned earlier, these projects are located in two biggest city in Indonesia, Medan and Jakarta. I worked with Engineers from China and Singapore, and together we implement advanced engineering technology to Indonesia, mainly to tackle the problems including working in limited space, traffic issues, and safety regulations for working in highly-populated area. These projects really gave me valuable experience and new insights in terms of Computational Engineering, Engineering Management, and Technologies. It was also revealed unto me, that Indonesia still has an ocean-deep opportunities for development. Indonesia civil engineering is lacking in terms of engineering advacement. This is mostly caused by limited access for the young engineers to international engineering development and knowledge.

The courses I have chosen will be a great deal for me to achieve my career and long term goal. First, the courses I chose will provide me with a broad spectrum of structural engineering issues, specifically on buildings and bridges. And then, with career-oriented study which covers both theoretical and practical design considerations, I will be prepared to implement the knowledge I gained in Indonesia. As an engineering professional, this can be a great foundation to serve Indonesia through a sustainable development and high-quality constructions. And by sharing knowledge through educations and my networking with Indonesian engineers, I can be a key role in developing Indonesia engineering quality, and preparing new young engineers with international networking and knowledge they needed, and consecutively open up opportunities for engineering advancement in Indonesia.

By completing the courses I have chosen, I believe I can do better in my commitment, that is, to serve Indonesia through career and educations, and to create more opportunities and better education for Indonesia Civil Engineers.[/b]*Please do not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form (minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)
Eng, don't present a generalized discussion of your plan for studies in the UK. You need to be university and course specific if you want the reviewer to believe that you have given a great deal of thought to the reasons as to why you wish to study in the UK. I can see that you have an impressive resume in terms of career experience. So it should not be hard for you to develop a longer discussion of your career plan. Some of the required elements of the essay are as follows:

1. The universities you wish to attend and the course you plan to enroll in.
2. A discussion of the relation of your chosen master program with your career experience and future career plan. Keep in mind that you should also have 3 career avenues to discuss. That is one for each university because you never know which university will grant you admission.

3. A summary of how you see the completion of either of the 3 masters degree affecting your future plans for your career. In the overall scheme of things, how will the masters degree help you in general?

Once you cover these 3 required points, you should have developed an accurate study plan for submission with the rest of your application.
OP Eng Phin 6 / 14 6  
Thank you. I will try to review the content. And could you please help for the required elements in essay for other three essays?
1. -------Leadership & Influence Question-------
Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)
2. -------Networking Question-------
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

3. -------Career Plan Question-------
Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals. You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country. (minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Thank you very much. I really need help because I am not that used in writing essays.
Eng, the essay prompts are pretty clear and self explanatory. I am not sure how I can help you with the required elements because I do not know anything about your information when it comes to its relation to the required prompts. I can only suggest that you look at the other fully developed essay responses to these prompts that can be found in this forum. Try to follow their examples and the advice that has been given there regarding essay development. Then write your own version and post it here. I can help you work on the essays from that point. I can't help you much if you haven't even drafted the essay responses yet. I'll be able to assist you better once I have something solid to work on from your end.
OP Eng Phin 6 / 14 6  
I revised my opening paragraph and the format. Is it more acceptable now? Thank you very much.

Two years of working in Bridge Construction really gave me abundant experience and knowledge. However, I realized that there are some limitations due to my educational background, such as, in Computational Engineering, Advanced Prestressing System, and Earthquake Engineering. Therefore, I decided to pursue a Master Degree, and I believe that studying in UK will provide me with profound knowledge, skills, network, and experience I needed to pursue my dreams and goals.

From my experience in Post-Tensioning Structure design, I understand that a reliable yet sustainable structure becomes essential in every project. By having an MPhil in Civil Engineering from Newcastle University, I will have the skills and knowledge required to further develop my career. By having a strong foundation in Computational Engineering, this course will develop my skill in solving Structural Engineering problems through computational approach, by utilizing latest development in Physics and Mathematics to achieve a reliable structure. Next, by learning Construction Project Management, I will have a better understanding of project life cycle, and aware of key factors which have impact for a successful project. In the end, this systematic course will help me through challenges to achieve a reliable and sustainable structure design.

My two-year experience in Bridge Construction in Indonesia showed that we are still open for technological advancement, especially in prestressing concrete field. Achieving MSc in Concrete Structures in Imperial College will be a robust foundation for me, to apply the latest advancement of Prestressed Structures in Bridge Construction in Indonesia, while working as Bridge Engineering Consultant. And as this course covers a broad spectrum of structural engineering issues, I will be prepared to overcome Engineering issues in Indonesia, such as construction in remote areas and in a highly populated areas, by implementing prestressing concrete technology. With accumulated experience and strong knowledge obtained from this course, I believe I could do research to develop Bridge Engineering technology, or even create new ideas in the future.

Indonesia has a complex geological condition. Located on the meeting point of several tectonic plates, it has the potential to experience earthquakes. This offers challenge to engineers, in building earthquake resistance structures. Upon completion of MSc Structural Engineering in University of Nottingham, I will have a grounding on Structure Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, to be applied on structure designs in Indonesia. As the research on earthquake in my country getting more intensive, my knowledge will be a huge contribution. As a lecturer, I can teach and share my knowledge, and also conduct research with students to deepen my knowledge. Through seminars, meetings, and projects, I can share and implement my knowledge to my fellow Indonesia engineers.

By completing the courses I have chosen, I believe I can do better in my commitment, that is, to serve Indonesia through career and educations, and to create more opportunities and better education for Indonesia Civil Engineers.
okorobiadimma14 6 / 82 50  
@Eng Phin

Dear Eng

Your write-up is good. Thanks to Holt and other reviewers. But I have an observation that you need to consider.

You kept mentioning MPhil in your essay. Have you checked Chevening's course criteria?
Are you sure they sponsor MPhil courses?

The last time I checked, Chevening only sponsors one year taught masters in the UK and not MPhil or PhD. Please do your homework properly in this regard so as to be sure you are really good to go.

Goodluck!

Home / Scholarship / I selected the three university courses; Chevening - "Studying in the UK" Question