Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

'Self-development is paramount for research engineers'; Chevening Essay: Part 3 - Studying in the UK

aryabhaskara 3 / 5  
Hi everyone! Greetings from Indonesia. My name is Arya. I would like to have my essays reviewed (although it is already being submitted weeks ago). Could you please give feedback and input to this? Thank you very much, stay healthy and have a blast day!

Prompt : Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future. Please enter new information and examples here and not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Studying in the UK

The future of renewable energy lies in control engineering and the Internet of Things (IoT). These will ensure a thriving, safe, and smooth operation. Currently, my role as a research engineer urges me to delve more into that subject. Despite working as ten years seasoned professional, my experiences are mainly in instrumentation, lacking in control engineering. Besides, the IoT has been famous for renewable energy facilities' online monitoring worldwide, yet still rarely used in my country. Therefore, my study objective is to implement control engineering in renewable energy with IoT applications in Indonesia.

Self-development is paramount for research engineers. Therefore, I'd published numerous research papers in the nationally accredited journals[1] and joined various training related to instrument and control implementation in renewable energy. I also held a professional qualification in electrical engineering from Lembaga Pengembangan Jasa Konstruksi (LPJK). With all being said, obtaining a master's program is mandatory in my profession.

I was enthralled to find Advanced Control and System Engineering Program from the University of Sheffield fit my study objective. They have collaborations in renewable energy research with the Drax Power Station[2]. Furthermore, their Industrial Training Program (ITP) course will allow me to enhance my expertise through hands-on practice in that institution. Moreover, two courses perfectly supported my vision to build an online, safe and reliable control system: industrial automation and cyber security for control systems. I'm also interested in studying with Dr. P*** as an expert in industrial automation with a similar interest in renewable energy real-time monitoring.

Meanwhile, the same program at the University of Manchester gives a deep theoretical approach combined with extensive software and laboratory work immersion. Joining this particular program will provide a chance to expand my proficiency in the control software LabVIEW. Also, I'm keen to study with Dr. ***c, which will give me more understanding of control in biogas or biomass process, which is among renewable energy forms. They have also developed advanced control engineering software to monitor and improve renewable energy processes, which I intend to emulate.

The Automation and Control program also provides me with an enticing and quality option. At Newcastle University, the Distributed Control System course is the only one in the UK, offering current insights into modern control technology. Moreover, one of the dissertation topics provided is a control system design for renewable energy. In addition, they provide a test bench for simulating any possible scenario in its actual application.

Uniquely, these control engineering programs are only available in the UK. Besides, a record-breaking 43% usage of renewable energy for electricity in the UK outpaced fossil fuel usage in 2020[3]. This record sets an example, and I'm also interested in learning about its know-how implementation in Indonesia.

To sum it up, a fully-funded master's degree by Chevening Scholarship in control engineering will help me bridge my knowledge gap. I hope to contribute to Indonesia's renewable energy research development through my expertise while progressing my career in the future.

Source :
[1] scholar.google.com/citations?user=-CqeSVoAAAAJ&hl=id
[2]https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/energy/news/university-sheffield-researchers-help-bring-green-industrial-revolution
[3] energy-uk.org.uk/publication.html?task=file.download&id=7993

Home / Scholarship / 'Self-development is paramount for research engineers'; Chevening Essay: Part 3 - Studying in the UK