Semester at Sea Scholarship - Describe your most meaningful achievement

hgrierson 8 / 11  
Hey! I am hoping someone can look this over and let me know any suggestions to improve it. 200 word max!

Describe your most meaningful achievement and how it relates to your participation and success on Semester at Sea.

During the summer of 2007, I backpacked 130 miles through Oregon for fifty-eight incredible, challenging days, including a six-day solo experience. This started as seemingly pointless and agitating, but transformed into the most meaningful experience of my life thus far.

Being alone for six days prompted me to attack all my obstacles with passion and vigor. As I started to sense my own power and potential, I developed a strong sense of self-efficacy, which will help me on Semester at Sea when I encounter difficulties or conflicts in my classes or in port. I know I am capable of overcoming the barriers to my success.

This experience also inspired me to become involved with helping my community, and upon returning from backpacking, I began volunteering as a tutor with the THINKTogether! program for underprivileged children. This passion to make a positive difference still burns in me today and will help me make the most of my time abroad, as I plan to participate in as many service-learning activities as possible.

My six day solo developed my awareness and motivated me in my role as human being, student, and global citizen that I will utilize while on Semester at Sea.
Thors Hammer 5 / 60  
PG1: The trip started slow and seemed pointless but transformed into the most profound experience of my life so far.

PG2: Being alone for six days prompted me to meet the unknown with confidence. I sensed my own power and potential by developing a sense of self-efficiency, helping me face difficult situations while proving to myself that there are no barriers to my success.

PG3: what is a service learning activity?

My adventure trip has helped make me aware as to the role that I would like to contribute back into society, and being involved with Semester at Sea will ensure I realize that.

Hopes this helps...

Home / Scholarship / Semester at Sea Scholarship - Describe your most meaningful achievement