Ship for the World Youth Program JAPAN- LEADERSHIP SKILLS AND CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY ESSAY

SusyCS 1 / 2 2  
Thank you so much for your help, I would really appreciate if you could correct my essay

Write a 700-850 word essay on how you have exercised your leadership skills and contribution to society. Essays must not exeed or fail to reach the word limit to be considered.

collecting experiences for further success

Leadership has many shapes and sizes, each one of them molded to fit perfectly the person who decides to dress it. And as we grow, we see ourselves on the urge to change it as soon as we notice it doesn't fit anymore to who we are now. In my case, I had to change of sizes quite often, being immensely blessed with the richness of hard work, dedication and experience.

In 2015, I became an administrative construction assistant in charge of a small group of workers for the enterprise TECNOQRO. During that time, challenges such as working under pressure to meet the dates scheduled, improve the productivity of the workers and increase my cross-cultural managing communications in order to successfully team up with people from other cities made me wait excited every week to see our progress in the site of construction. When there was a new worker, one of the most gratifying things I did was to talk with him and see the way to help this person in front of me, maybe he had a hidden talent I can polish to improve his current condition or maybe he was just in need of an advice that brings him confidence to chose to go back to the school and find better opportunities. The beauty of this leading position was that I could use my academic and work experience to guide others to take decisions, always understanding their current situation.

That summer I became an exchange student in a small town of South Korea for a year. In words of Mark Twain, my literary inspiration, being there gave me a "broad, wholesome, and charitable view" of what was surrounding me. During my stay, I was determined to transform myself to become a more capable person, which decisions could make an impact in society and transcend, maybe not immediately, but in the near future. I was not fully satisfied with the person I was, so this is how my personal development, career, adventure and contributions goals made an impact on my stay in such a beautiful country.

Having a mix between school, work and volunteer activities made me aware of how some groups struggle more to "fit" on a community such as the Korean. At school I became close to Muslim community, while searching a way to make eastern and western people interact in activities that were inclusive to both of us, and that's how the hiking team was born, creating lifelong bonds between different cultures. For three months, I volunteered in one of the biggest events held in South Korea. During the sporadic meetings of preparation for the Lotus Lantern Festival, I was given the opportunity to share my manual abilities with small groups of children and teach others some energetic dance movements to show in front of the crowd. When the event finished, I was so grateful to have given others a cheerful evening where they could see us dance, sing and give our souls to commemorate a special day for Buddhist's. After I left Korea, what began as a hiking club became a bigger association of international students in which until now I am being counted in as an advisor.

Back in Mexico I started looking for opportunities to give back to my community for the opportunity to go abroad. Two new journeys began in 2017, starting with me becoming part of the Academy of volunteer firefighters of my city, having the potential to go to schools and teach the next generation how to be successful individuals by giving back to their community. In the 2 hours we spend with them, all I want to transmit is how they should be empathetic with others; teach them our values and how to be trustworthy with other individuals. My purpose by being there is to encourage those genius minds to create positive actions, being helping others, planting a tree, recycling, etc. The other journey has just started, after some brainstorm and the help of two friends, we began planning new sustainable strategies to develop better infrastructure for our local communities in order to boost local commerce, integrating elements of nature to generate clean energy and thus counteract the negative consequences globalization has made on rural or impoverished communities.

We as individuals have to place ourselves in different contexts to stretch ourselves. So, having this collection of experiences just increased my urge to succeed on what I consider I am really good at, helping my community to grow and be recognized for our values. I would love to improve and refine my leadership abilities, since I know for sure how Mexico, Japan and our world requires leaders who love what they do and guide others by taking positive actions. I see the day where I can become one of those global leaders who devote themselves to break conventional notions to create something new, always prioritizing people over profits.

Thank you.
Hidy 2 / 4  
Dear Susy,

I believe your essay is spot on as you highlighted ways in which you have been useful to the immediate community. However, it will do you a lot of good reviewing the sentence structures. I see a lot of grammatical disjoint that I almost don't get the message.

Regards,
Susana, your essay is good but too wide in coverage. You need to narrow the essay down to only one important leadership example and one community service example. With an 850 word maximum, the reviewer needs to see how you handle specific situations that prove your leadership skills. For example, as an administrative construction assistant, think of a time when you seem to have faced an insurmountable problem at the office. What was the problem? What was the approach that you took to resolve the issue? What was the result of your actions? Be specific and detailed regarding one memorable event. You need to have the reviewer remember your leadership skill set. You do not want to make your essay sound so generic that he won't remember anything because you mentioned one too many potential, but not really developed, leadership skill presentations. The same goes for your community service. Of the number that you presented, the one that stood out the most for me was your fire volunteer service because that relates to your local community. Develop that discussion by presenting the foundation for your interest, what activities you have participated in, how working with this civic group has helped you develop your leadership abilities, and what you are looking forward to as a community volunteer. After you complete that presentation, work on a collective summary that details the highlights of your leadership skills in 2 different settings then close the essay by indicating that you hope to develop these skills further as a World Youth Program participant.
OP SusyCS 1 / 2 2  
Thank you so much for your help. I made some adjustments. What about this?

Leadership has many shapes and sizes(...)

In 2015, I became an administrative construction(...)

My supervisor was an engineer whose character was quite explosive and not everyone could have direct communication with him, which is why I had the workers on my charge. One of the most challenging weeks I had at work where all these skills were put to the test was when two of his supervisors from another city came to see how the construction was going. The first day, they made a highlight he didn't agree on and the conflict was escalating to the point where they were considering of withdrawing him from that location. The approach I immediately decided to take to solve the problem was to establish an effective communication between them and be assertive with my actions whenever I saw something could trigger another conflict. At the end, we achieved their goal to report back on how solid our progress was and how capable we were to wisely administrate our resources. This experience brought the best in me and made me a more assertive person.

That summer I became an exchange student in a small town of South Korea for a year. In words of Mark Twain, my literary inspiration, being there gave me a "broad, wholesome, and charitable view" of what was surrounding me. At school I became close to Muslim community, while searching a way to make eastern and western people interact in activities that were inclusive to both of us, and that's how the hiking team was born, creating lifelong bonds between different cultures. For three months, I volunteered in one of the biggest events held in South Korea sharing my manual abilities with small groups of children and teaching others some energetic dance movements to show in front of the crowd. After I left Korea, what began as a hiking club became a bigger association of international students in which, until now, I am being counted in as an advisor.

Back in Mexico, I became part of the Academy of volunteer firefighters of my city. My interest in becoming a volunteer with them began when I felt the urge to give back to my community for the opportunity to go abroad. As part of my training, I have been able to become an active member of my community by visiting schools or helping other organizations. I have been able to develop my problem-solving skills and my effective communication skills during the practices on the field and when going on missions. Going to schools and teach the next generation how to be successful individuals by giving back to their community is one of my main goals of doing my service there. In the 2 hours we spend with them, all I want to transmit is how they should be empathetic with others; teach them our values and how to be trustworthy with other individuals. My purpose by go there is to encourage those genius minds to create positive actions, helping others, planting a tree, recycling, etc.

We as individuals have to place ourselves in different(...)

Thank you.
OP SusyCS 1 / 2 2  

Home / Scholarship / Ship for the World Youth Program JAPAN- LEADERSHIP SKILLS AND CONTRIBUTION TO SOCIETY ESSAY