How has the situation in Mongolia affected me and my family? Why University of X?

Altaa 11 / 22  
My country, Mongolia, has an area of 1 565 000 squared kilometers, poorly developed infrastructure and slightly 3000 000 population are scattered throughout the country. The Mongolian Health delivery system is challenged by the country's extremely low population density over a large territory. There are fewer hospitals with equipped enough professionals and instruments. At present, information technology is poorly developed in the Mongolian Health Sector. Mostly, this sector is dominated by large public hospitals that are used to operating in their own traditional way. Every hospital uses their own small hospital information software, but there is still no integration, and they cannot exchange patient data with each other. Also, they still cannot integrate some diagnostic results data, such as CT and MRI, into their computer system. Even in the most developed areas, we still have the same problems as many years before. The patients with extreme health situation are faced several difficulties such as having early proper diagnose and treatment. Furthermore our country has already documented the high level of Non communicable diseases. It is obvious that reaching health professionals for professional consultation was always a challenge for nomadic herders who live a long distance away from cities or provincial capitals. There are still many patients could not be diagnosed at early stages of the diseases and lost their life. This situation happened to my family also.

In 2008, my father was died because of lung cancer. He was living in countryside and he had been feeling bad with his health situation during several months and could not be diagnosed at hospital of province. After worsening his health situation badly, he came to the capital city and diagnosed that he had a cancer. When we knew the right diagnose of disease, it was too late to take any step and after 2 months later of diagnosis, he passed away. The same thing happened to my sister's husband in last year. My sister's husband, who had been lived in countryside, was feeling bad during about 1 year and could not be diagnosed correctly, also. When he came to the capital city in spring 2014, he diagnosed that he had a cancer in stomach. He had an operation but after 3 months later of the operation, he passed away. The doctors said the death of his was because of the late diagnosis even though he had an operation. This is the just example happened to my family. There are many occurrences like what happened to my father and brother, especially for patients who live away from capital city.

Realizing the importance and the necessity to constantly upgrade my professional knowledge in this age of rapid development of information technology in order to be a master in this field, I decided to study for advanced level in IT or computing since it would be vital for my further academic and career development. I have a plan to work as a project leader of large software systems or IT projects.

After completing my postgraduate study, I expect myself to be managing the IT projects related with information technology integration into the healthcare systems in Mongolia. As we know, the best way to delivering healthcare service is to develop a usage of IT in health sector. Based on this issue, our government developed a master plan to reduce non communicable diseases by developing a health sector. One section of this strategic plan is to prepare advanced IT professionals. I have decided to be one of who can contribute valuable share to the development of Mongolian health sector by integrating latest developments of IT into this sector. Consequently, it is my future working area. Also, it's the way to accomplish my childhood dream by helping people who suffered by diseases indirectly. I expect myself to be a project leader for developing healthcare information systems. This kind of program would not only save money and time but could also prevent unwanted early death. Currently, our country has achieved for the instalment of internet and mobile phone network system almost all over the country. If we can introduce efficient e-health program which are able to share health records between hospitals and doctors using wireless or high speed internet network, many patients who lived away from cities could be diagnosed in the early stages of diseases by sending diagnosis results directly to responsible doctors.

Well planned, efficiently managed projects can bring the sector to its next development level. I have a strong belief that my past experience in IT field and earned knowledge and skills from MSc Information Technology Management course at University of X will allow me to accomplish my target.

I decided to study at University of X because the entire University's focus on bridging the gap between the academic program and industry by joining research skills with issues of practicing managers reflects my devotion to implementing my ideas with practical advances. UK is the one of the countries, that the e-health technology is highly developed, therefore I believe while I am studying there, I would have an opportunity to study real practice experiences on IT usage in health sector.

The "X" Scholarship is the great opportunity for me to achieve my future career goals. Without any funding or scholarship, I am unable to study for the postgraduate degree because of financial hardship. Therefore, this scholarship is the only way for me to study for postgraduate degree at University of X. If I would get a scholarship, I would be able to study not only an advanced academic knowledge but also expand my horizons internationally. I strongly believe in that by studying for postgraduate degree, I would have a wealth of opportunities and improve my quality of life in future. Therefore, being a scholarship recipient of University of X would be my greatest achievement for my future career.
- There are fewer hospitals with equipped with enough professionals and instruments.

-There are still many patients could not bethat are not diagnosed at early stages of the diseases and lost their life.

- As we know, the best way to deliveringdeliver healthcare service is to develop a usage of IT in health sector.

- Also, It's the way to accomplish my childhood dream byof helping people who suffered bythe diseases indirectly.

- Currently, our country has achievedreceivedfor the installment of internet or wireless and mobile phone network system almost all over the country.

Altaa, your application letter is good. It's written well and you were able to explain your reasons on applying for the scholarship. I'm just not sure if your last statement will make it because financial hardship is a very strong negative word, but that's life and we work to make it better.

Good luck and let us know when you make it.

Cheers!!!

Home / Scholarship / How has the situation in Mongolia affected me and my family? Why University of X?