SMDEP Summer Medical Dental Program - Personal Statement Essay

laxgirl06 1 / 1  
For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated with one of the most complex, intricate, and remarkable structures known to mankind; the human body. Examining the diverse network of the cellular components that unite and function cooperatively inside each human body is just one of the many subjects I am eager to explore.

The awe and thrill of discovering the mechanics of the human body. The almost tangible power of human connection. The interaction between patient and doctor. The ability to determine exactly how a patient feels, and how their condition affects their daily lives. The honor and privilege one receives from the patient placing their complete trust in him or her. The intense gratitude one receives from helping others. All these I am eager to experience. And while I know that I may not always be able to make my patients feel better, I would be honored to be given the chance to try.

(It all goes back to my first encounter.)I remember my first taste of the unpredictable yet remarkably delightful world that is science. The tired, chalky walls ached desperately for attention and the chaotic disarray of papers had monopolized the rather small room. The Bunsen Burners were beginning to age; patches of rust had begun to accumulate on their corners, usurping their previously smooth exteriors. The graduated cylinders that had once appeared spotless now required thorough scrubbing, and the desks were strewn all about the room. They remained in a disoriented state until each was eventually claimed by an eager eighth-grader, who had found a permanent spot to reside in for the year.

Every day, as I stepped into that room, put on my goggles, and reviewed the lab safety guidelines for the umpteenth time, I grew a little closer to finding the answers to the countless questions that occupied my curious mind. The scientific method was but a small gateway for me; it was a door that unlocked the seemingly endless possibilities in the immense world of science. I still have the memory of my first experiment; it is locked up somewhere safe, untouched by all of the subconscious thoughts that roam my mind, and protected from the worries, hopes, and fears that inhabit it.

I measure each ingredient precisely, to the tenth of an ounce, and secure my much-too-big goggles before I begin. Watching intently, I wait for the chemical reaction to occur. The anticipation is almost lethal. The baking soda and vinegar finally come together, and my adrenaline rush sends an electrifying pulse through my veins. It is in this very moment that I know I will be forever attracted to the magnetic pull of science.

My love of science stems from my highly inquisitive nature. But didn't curiosity kill the cat? This universally known idiom has become much too common within our society. I've witnessed the saying being thrown around on numerous occasions, but have yet to hear a greater fallacy. Curiosity, in my opinion, is the foundation upon which knowledge is acquired. This assertion can be supported by much evidence; simply look at the great progress humans have made. The human species has come a very long way. We've gone from rubbing sticks together to create heat, to portable hand warmers. We've gone from gathering berries on bushes to supermarkets, stocked with everything you could ever imagine. We have gone from horses and wagons to EyeSightâ„¢, an automobile software that scans the road for danger. Could all of this have been possible without the presence of curiosity? I hardly think so.

Science would not exist without curiosity; the two must coexist in harmony. I love science. Its infinite, ubiquitous presence fascinates me, controls me, frightens me. The level of uncertainty it possesses never fails to arouse my curiosity. It is unyielding yet generous, and constantly vacillates; it is absolute and indecisive, all at the same time.

I have been given the power to reason, the power to question, the power to challenge previously determined truths, and even the power to ponder the future. Science fuses all of these abilities into one very intriguing phenomenon full of uncertainty, interrogation, and hope. Science defies logic, and requires me to think analytically. It is an omniscient master of knowledge, and has earned my love and respect through not only its accomplishments, but through its sheer potential.

But what about the future? Why become a doctor? As a doctor, I'll be required to sacrifice sleep, peace of mind, and possibly other aspects of life for the well-being of my patients. I'll also be required to stay informed about new techniques, procedures, research, and recommended treatments. I don't fear this, however, I look forward to it; learning is something I love to do. I will only be satisfied if I live a life devoted to helping others. I want to be there for others; in the devastatingly low moments, when the hope of my patients is shrouded by fear and uncertainty, and in the incredibly high moments, when my patients are reassured that they have nothing to worry about. I want to be trusted to give advice, and to answer questions. I want to heal people. I want to save lives. (I want to be a doctor.)

I'm not sure if I should include the two phrases in parentheses. I feel like the ending is really abrupt, so if you could, please help me out with that. I want to submit this today, and I'll also post my diversity essay later on today (hopefully). Please be very critical because I need this essay to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. :D The original prompt was basically: Why do you want to be a doctor?
sandipsinh 37 / 90 3  
Do not use for as long as i remember.

The maniac eagerness of learning.... is always alive and fresh in mind.

Home / Scholarship / SMDEP Summer Medical Dental Program - Personal Statement Essay