Social sciences - AAS Supporting Statement for LLM Study in Australia

Alif ID 2 / 6  
Hello, folks.

I am currently preparing to apply for the AAS Scholarship, and I hope someone can check and give their thoughts and feedback on my supporting statement essay.

Why did you choose your proposed course and institution*?

[2000 chars left]

Since I was little, I have been interested in subjects related to social sciences, such as politics and history. I also interested in the current affairs of the world, particularly global conflicts and geopolitical situations. Thus, when I enrolled in the Faculty of Law of Hasanuddin University, my interest in international development and the laws that governed it, makes me decided to choose a major in International Law. I have been especially interested in subjects related to Public International Law, such as Humanitarian Law or Human Rights Law, which have a great influence on global development. My interest in these fields has been enhanced further when, in 2016, I was selected to represent my university in the national-level IHL Moot Court Competition in Semarang, Central Java. And, in the final year, I choose Humanitarian Law for the topic of my undergraduate thesis assignment, which was well-accepted by my supervisors and examiners.

After finishing my undergraduate study, I decided to continue my education by taking a postgraduate study. I also have an aspiration to become a lecturer of International Law, which requires a Master's degree in the field. Therefore, I choose International Law as the proposed course for my Master's study.

And for that purpose, I made my search on universities in Australia which offered the course of International Law for Master's study through the CRICOS site, and then, I made my inquiries on the type of International Law courses offered by each university listed on the site. After comparing each university, considering every relevant aspect and determining which ones that I believe is most suitable for me, especially for my intended future career as a lecturer, I come to the conclusion that the University of Melbourne, the University of New South Wales, and the University of Sydney / Western Australia are the best options for my LL.M. study in Australia, and therefore, I choose those universities as my proposed institution.
There is normally a 2 year work experience requirement for masters course students. It appears you do not have the work experience required yet. However, that is not to say that you cannot directly apply for the essay as some give leeway or exceptions for certain courses and students. I have to consider though, that your explanation is quite elementary and does not truly warrant the need for a masters course. Even if the job you currently have requires it. Why is that? There is a lack of professional justification for your course interest and need to study abroad. Why can't you study the same course in your country instead? Why did you opt for Australia and these universities? The most important aspects of the discussion are not well developed in this presentation. There is a lack of professional application, career improvement goals, and personal development representation in the discussion. You also need to further expand the course and university discussion per course and university choice.
OP Alif ID 2 / 6  
Hi Holt. Thanks for your advice. As for the work experience requirement, I didn't recall any such requirements either for the scholarship or for the LL.M. application. The LL.M. application only required an English language score and a recognized previous study of Law
OP Alif ID 2 / 6  
Merged:

AAS Application Essay (for postgraduate law study)

Hi folks. I hope you can give me your thoughts and feedbacks about the essay I made for AAS Scholarship. Your advices and opinions will be very appreciated.

How will the proposed study contribute to your career*?[2000 chars left]

After finishing my Master's study, I intend to become a lecturer of International Law. I especially hope to be able to become a lecturer in the Faculty of Law of Hasanuddin University, my alma mater, in Makassar, and I believe that the Master's study on International Law in Australia will provide me with the best qualification and expertise needed. I am optimistic about my prospect because when I consulted with my former lecturers in the Law Faculty, including the current Head of Law Study Program and Head of International Law Department of the Faculty of Law, all of them gave positive response and support and said that I will have a good chance to become a lecturer at the Hasanuddin University should I succeed in getting the opportunity to take a Master's degree abroad, especially considering that the Faculty of Law of Hasanuddin University had obtained international accreditation from the ASEAN University Network Quality Assurance (AUN-QA), and that Hasanuddin University itself plans to become a full member of the AUN. As a result, in the future, the Faculty of Law of Hasanuddin University will need lecturers with higher education quality and academic qualifications to maintain and improve its status as an internationally accredited Law Faculty equal to other Law Faculties in Southeast Asia.

I also believe that the knowledge that I shall gain from my Master's study in Australia will be useful for me in making my contribution to the country, either in an official position in related government institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or in a non-official position as an expert of public international law. This is especially considering the lack of experts of public international law in Indonesia and Indonesia's foreign policy that is active in creating world peace, as demonstrated in the cases of Rohingya, Afghanistan, and Palestine, as well as in protecting Indonesia's national interests itself, which requires expertise on international law.
The first paragraph is not necessary as it does not focus on how the proposed course will help your career advancement. The second paragraph does a better job at doing that. Consider using the second paragraph as the basis for the career advancement explanation. Move forward from that explanation by explaining what specific courses you will be studying that will directly relate to that contribution / career advancement. Connect your studies with career progress. The first paragraph does not lend to this intention as you are instead discussing the opinion of your co-faculty members and the possible job openings at the university you teach at. That is irrelevant. The second paragraph gives a more direct and clear idea of your career path going forward after you complete the course.

Home / Scholarship / Social sciences - AAS Supporting Statement for LLM Study in Australia