My SOP for a PhD in Data Science and Scientific Computing at the Institute of Science and Technology

ewaoluwa26 1 / -  
Hello Sir, kindly help me check if my

statement of purpose for PhD in Data Science

is well written. Thank you

Dear Admissions Committee,
I am writing to express my interest in a PhD position in Data Science and Scientific Computing at the Institute of Science and Technology, Austria. Data science, machine learning, and information theory. Machine learning and computer vision are the research areas in which I am very interested.

We are currently at the center of a revolution in information technology, with data being the most valuable commodity. Exploiting this enormous growth in data sets requires addressing complex inference problems, and several types of research are ongoing to develop mathematically principled solutions. I first became interested in data science and machine learning when I realized that it's trending globally; that interest has remained with me to this day. Pursuing a postgraduate degree in data science and scientific computing is the stepping stone I need to take my career to the next level and compete with the best in the exciting and rapidly evolving field of data science.

I completed my bachelor's degree in statistics from the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Nigeria, and my master's degree in statistics (Econometrics) from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. I'm currently on a scholarship for my second master's degree in Big Data and informatics at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), Senegal. There, I undertook relevant data science and machine learning courses, such as an introduction to python programming, machine learning (supervised and unsupervised learning), databases, neural networks, high - dimensional data analysis, and so on. Also, I had the opportunity to work and learn from outstanding students and the best lecturers across the globe with different research experiences, who kindled my enthusiasm about prosecuting my studies in an international context. Through my years of studying, I discovered the importance of this aspect of science; I developed a passion and appreciation for it and realized that I still have a lot to learn. These influenced my decision to pursue a PhD. in Data Science and Scientific Computing.

Furthermore, I have worked on several different research projects as a research assistant at the Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis and Collaboration, Department of Statistics, University of Ibadan, Nigeria. My experience working as a data analyst on major data-intensive projects has given me a better understanding of the real-life problems that different sectors and governments face. These days, it is essential to understand and process all aspects of data and analyze it to achieve the most optimal choice for decision-making, as there are endless possibilities. I find the processes of gathering, analyzing, and presenting data fulfilling as these provide new insights by transforming raw data into meaningful information to help make informed decisions. I have analyzed data and have ample hands-on experience in programming languages (like Python, R, SPSS, Excel, SQL, etc.).

Since studying at the university, I have steadily developed leadership, analytical, and presentation skills. I have participated in more than three scientific conferences in Nigeria and Senegal. My presentation skills were significantly strengthened during work at LISA, as I improved the rationale of various investment projects and market strategies to top company management. I have participated in several community services both in Nigeria and Senegal. These provide a healthy boost to my self-confidence, self-esteem, and life satisfaction.

However, I decided to pursue my Ph.D. at the Institute of Science and Technology Austria to acquire a high-level international profile. I also need to have a good understanding of key technologies in data science and machine learning, as well as gain more practical knowledge of programming languages through coursework and research experience.

The PhD. program at IST Austria will undoubtedly provide the exposure I need to broaden my thinking toward attaining my career goal. I am also optimistic that an institution with a diverse mix of people from various cultures, nationalities, religions, and ideologies would benefit my overall development. Through this program, I stand a better chance to update, and scale up my knowledge, gain solid training in conducting critical research, build teaching experience, and develop new programming skills. I will use the knowledge and skills I gain through this program to solve various challenges in Africa and the world.

I am aware of the commitment and perseverance required to achieve the best results in this field, and I am confident that my academic background and experience will open ways for me. Thus, looking forward to gaining from the available wealth of experience at the university.

I remain at your disposal for any further information. Thank you for considering my application.
Yours sincerely,
xxxxxxxx
PhD studies of the research kind requires the student to portray a sense of continuing research that may have started as a college thesis, continuing college and masters research, or as a professional necessity. These are the platforms for consideration that highlight the importance of higher education and training / internship experience. These factors considered, it would appear that there is a lack of purpose consistency in the presentation.

There are vague references to your interest in the Data Science research field but not in a specific professional context. This is no longer a college or masters purpose where lack of clear purpose can still apply. The overall discussion presented relates to motivations which are not to be confused with the purpose of study.

Yes, you want to develop your research skills. Tell me how the studies will influence your future career. Explain the importance of your study focus to the field. These considerations were overlooked in this version. Bottomline, what is your actual career goal?

Home / Scholarship / My SOP for a PhD in Data Science and Scientific Computing at the Institute of Science and Technology