South Korea is developed technologically - GKS-U Personal statement review

DeanRuno 1 / 1  

application for gks 2022

Hello, I am new here and currently I am preparing my application for gks 2022. It will help me a lot if you guys can give me a honest feedback about my past personal statement.

"Even though 2020 hasn't ended yet, I already consider it as a memorable year for me. That was the year where I completed my expected 19 years, started living alone, got a job with my technical course certificate. I conquered a new level of independence. But the closer I get to my 20 years, the more I realize how much I want to graduate from a university and be proud of myself for reaching my dreams. Since last year I changed, my perception regarding the world has changed also, and for the better. But my desire to conquer the world didn't change. That's why, for this to happen, I need to study Computer Science and Engineering in South Korea.

No other country is as developed technologically as South Korea. Moreover, we are talking about the global leader in technological innovation. Samsung, LG, Hyundai, and SK Telecom are examples of national companies that managed to successfully impact the world with their technologies and innovative vision. However, until 2018 my country occupied low positions regarding technological innovation. There are no incentives for the development of research and technology within the country, so we still have a long way to go concerning this.

With this scholarship, I will have much more significant experiences and opportunities as I will be studying in the country where the branch of Computer Science and Engineering leads the digital revolution. With all the knowledge I acquire in Korea, I intend to be one of the essential keys for the unfolding of technology here in *****, participating in research, projects and providing free computer coding classes for children and teenagers so that future talents can be discovered. Another reason is that the connection between South Korea and me refers to 7 years of studies and dreams about the country. Something that started with the simple purchase of Korean stationeries turned into a search for information about the country and eventually flourished into admiration until today. It still amazes me how the country manages to balance modernity and history at the same time.

I grew up in a family where honesty and learning were the main pillars in building our relationship. Being the oldest between my sister and I, my parents always taught me about being responsible and caring for my younger sister, which consequently made me grow up with the idea that I must protect and respect not only my sister but everyone around me. Both of my parents are my inspiration. Without them I would not be the person I am today. My father, an electronic engineer, and my mother, a nurse, came from very poor families and with study they managed to overcome it. Because of them I was always motivated to give my best and give value to studies to one day conquer my space in the world. They have always encouraged us to learn new things. So, at the age of 3, with the help of my father, I had contact with my first computer. Obviously, I didn't understand anything about it, but the feeling I had when looking at the screen and pressing a few random commands influenced me a lot. This is something that I like to call "destiny". After that, computer started to make part of my routine and consequently my parents enrolled me in computer classes. My knowledge and my passion for computers were born here, at 5 years old. At the age of 13 I decided to study more about computers and software with the help of the internet and finally, at the age of 15, I decided to learn more about programming languages, starting with Scratch and Python. So far, I have managed to accumulate a lot of knowledge regarding computing. In 2020 I completed an Arduino course, a Code IoT (Internet of Things) course provided by Samsung and I am halfway through the CS50's Introduction to Computer Science course available for free by Harvard University.

My academic life began when I was 6 years old at Elementary school, where I was able to discover my hobby, music. I participated in the computer, ballet, tap dance, music and acting clubs where I expanded my social skills. In addition, I finished elementary school in 2015 being ranked the #1 student in the entire school. In High School I was the reference student for the three years and I was always dedicated to getting the highest grades out of my classroom. As a result of my hard work, I obtained a Certificate of Excellence for the Stock Exchange Project, where I was recognized for my excellent leadership and achievements of my group during the three years of High School. As a way to challenge my father, I learned English alone at the age of 12. At that time, I managed to achieve an advanced level of English and since then I have considered it my 2nd language. In 2019 I also completed a mechanics course at "*****". Even though it had nothing to do with computing, I managed to take advantage of it very well. I concluded subjects that were indirectly connected to computing, such as computer applications and industrial automation, and within it, I realized even more that I really would like to study Computer Science and Engineering in South Korea.

Therefore, GKS will be a great opportunity for me. As I am unable to afford the costs of a university in Korea, GKS will be the key to achieving my dream of becoming an important person to my country and to the world. No other scholarship will give me the same experience since I will be studying at one of the best universities and with the best professors in the area of IT (Information Technology) while I will experience one of the richest cultures that I have studied about and in the country that I admire so much. I hope to be able to return to "****" and disseminate the knowledge acquired about Korea at the same time I accomplish my future goals. As a person who adapts easily, enjoys learning and making new friends, I am certainly ready to take this challenge and complete 5 years of study in Korea. "
The thing is, you cannot write your application essays in advance of the actual application season. That is because the discussion requirements for each written interview is subject to changes/ variations from one application season to the next. While this presentation may have some applicable and non-applicable aspects based on the previous application prompt instructions, I cannot definitely say you can use this next year. The prompt factors for that crycle are still unknown so you should not be preparing the essays yet. Work on meeting the grade requirements and other documentation for now. Create the essays when the prompts come out next year. Hold on to this essay for now. You never know when the same prompts might be used again.
OP DeanRuno 1 / 1  
Oh, sorry I didn't mentioned earlier but this essay is from last year's application. We were instructed to write about these topics:

- Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Family and Education background
- Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or
events that have had a significant influence on you
- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired,
etc.

Home / Scholarship / South Korea is developed technologically - GKS-U Personal statement review