Specific things to be done to overcome the challenges of living and studying in a different country

Uromi 4 / 10 1  
Hi, am applying for a scholarship and I need a review on my essay. Thanks in advance

facing challenges abroad

If you are successful on being awarded a scholarship, what specific things will you do to prepare yourself to move to and overcome the challenges of living and studying, in a different country?.

If being awarded a scholarship, I may come across differences in the teaching, study and learning style while studying in New Zealand. In order to curb this challenge, I would find out more about these differences once I get to New Zealand possibly through the specialized international support staff at Massey University and also getting involved in academic and study skill workshops and peer student advisers at the Massey's comprehensive student services. At Auckland University of Technology, I will visit the student Hub on campus which will provide me with a range of services and learning support to succeed in AUT. I will also meet with trained and professional staff available on the student Hub so as to get the support I need in my academics and study. In order to adapt to the teaching and learning style and study pattern, I will also visit the Auckland University Library as they offer a range of services and resources which will help me get the most out of studying in the University.

I may also face language and cultural barriers while studying in New Zealand. To overcome this, I will connect with and explore New Zealand through the official government site "Nau mai NZ" before leaving to New Zealand as this will provide me with trusted information about New Zealand's lifestyle and culture that will help me once am studying and living in New Zealand. I will also learn from other international students by hearing about their stories and experiences and also discover tips about New Zealand's land, culture and language so I can live like a local. In addition, I would also meet new friends who are natives of New Zealand and learn about the Māori language.

I may also face social challenges feeling like an outsider. To overcome this, I will take part in the Massey's vibrant student life by joining the student association and clubs on my campus. Massey University offers a wide range of social and extracurricular student activities available for all students which would provide me the perfect way to make new friends, meet with like-minded students and develop interests out my studies. Auckland University of Technology also offers a wide range of clubs, group and activities which will enrich my university experience while studying.
These are excellent ideas for adjusting to life once you get to New Zealand. I wonder if you have considered strengthening the essay by providing additional information regarding your prep work pre-arrival. That means, you will begin your immersion into the Maori culture even before you get to New Zealand. Some preparations you can make can include self learning Maori and Samoan, which are the two major languages of New Zealand, aside from English. Learning these 2 languages will further help you learn about Maori social customs prior to your arrival, which will help you adjust socially as well. Don't forget, learning the language is half the battle that helps you win the war. So all your other concerns can be successfully connected by one response, "I will learn the language to help me adjust totally to New Zealand on an academic and social scale even before I get there."
OP Uromi 4 / 10 1  
Thank you so much for the review. I'll make the adjustments where necessary.

Home / Scholarship / Specific things to be done to overcome the challenges of living and studying in a different country