Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Personal Statement for KGSP2019 - Archaeology

ssonnyson 1 / -  
I would like to apply Korean Government Scholarship Program 2019. Could you please comment and suggest about my personal statement? Thank you very much :D

- Motivations
- Family and education background
- Significant experience , Risks , Achievement
- Extracurricular Activities

A significant key that has brought me to learn about the past, leading to Archaeology, is when I went to a bookstore, bought history books and went deeper. Reading history, as well as images of conflicts and artifacts, intrigues me.

"The Artifact Hunter", a relishing novel I have ever read, has also had an influence on me. I opened the next page, discovered many stories from different times in history, from different places around the world, and many riveting details on artifacts; The Mask of Tutankhamun mentioned in the first part together with other ancient artifacts made me wonder, how can these objects contain such great mystery.

When I was about 13 years old, I went to the "Death Railway Bridge" in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. At that time, only then did I thought that it was a beautiful place. Recently, I listened to a podcast about a woman who studied a bachelor's degree in Archaeology and a master's degree in Heritage Management. She said the railway had been constructed during World War II, it had a cruel story about death, murder, and slavery of those who had no choice, but to work till their demise. Her research project founded that there were so many people who were only there to take a photo with this place and then went home. They usually do not know and ignore its background because of a poor management and lack of education.

My interest in history, learning about the ancient world and artifacts, along with her story inspires me to follow the path of preserving the past, this is why I have chosen to study Archaeology in university. I want to discover artifacts and heritages, manage them, learn about conservation, and educate people about the past and how it affected who we are today.

Studying in South Korea is definitely the best choice because of its 700,000-year history, rich culture, and many world heritage sites, for instance, "Baekje Historic Area", an archaeological site representing the later period of Baekje Kingdom and being one of the most visited tourist destinations. Moreover, South Korea is also one of the world's leading industrialized countries and has a rapid economic growth, while maintaining a well-rounded culture, making it a pleasant place to live and learn. I would like to know how South Korea does in handling with a growth of the city but can preserve historical and cultural sites. It has valuable public relations such as historical TV-Dramas and books as well. Those intrigue me to look into Korean heritage management and how Korean people study Archaeology. In addition, I would like to meet and exchange knowledge with people of the same interest from all over the world. Thus, Archaeology in South Korea is the best place to start and help me achieve my goal to work in heritage management in Thailand.

My second biggest reason for choosing Korea is that more than 78 million people can speak Korean. So, Learning the language would give me opportunities in the future and open up many doors to try out my skills too. I believe learning the Korean language is like a key to unlock something new as I can read more Korean books and communicate with more people.

I am an only child. Since I was born, I had lived with my mother, my aunt, my uncle, and my uncle's wife in Pathum Thani. They are a huge influence on my life and is very dear to me, especially my mother. Even though my family is middle-class and my mother is a single parent, she has been both a mother and father figure to me. She works as a sales executive and always treats me the best, so I can have nice things and a good education. Mom said she agreed to be work hard so that I could have the better life. The only way to repay her kindness now is focusing on my studies, earn a scholarship so that my mother would be delighted and more comfortable.

For my education, I studied at Udom Suksa Rangsit School in kindergarten. I moved to Tanyawittaya (Thongmin) School in grade 1 - 6. When I graduated from primary school, I failed the entrance exam to a top school in Pathum Thani. So, I had to study at Christasongkroh School, a private secondary school in Nakhon Nayok. I concentrated on my studies, as a result, my grade was excellent. My mother was proud.

After graduated from Christasongkroh School, I faced one of the hardest but most significant events in my life, I decided to sit the entrance exam for Triam Udom Suksa School which is one of the best schools in Thailand. There were many obstacles, not only did I have to beat 10,000 other applicants for a place. If I failed, I would have to study at a private school, where tuition fees are far more expensive than public school. If I passed the exam, my mother would be on cloud nine, and my life would change. The failure I had experienced was my determination, I did not want to repeat what happened with the last entrance exam. To achieve this goal, I struggled more, read more books every day, but I was determined to pass this challenge. What I only thought of was to make my dream comes true. With my efforts, I succeeded and made my family and myself proud. From then on, I became a proud student at Triam Udom Suksa School and moved to Bangkok with my mother. I have learned more from this event, one example is a dauntlessness. I dare to break my fear, step through the obstacles that come in front and succeed the goal.

There are numerous things I developed from my high school life, for example, a critical thinking skill, time management skill and working with happiness. I have been a part of "AIC". It is an open student organization which helps teachers and operates on many school activities, we are not obliged to do every activity. In spite of that, I wanted to help my friends work as much as I could. I have helped with various school events, such as "Triam Udom Mini Marathon", "Commencement Day", "Triam Udom Suksa School - Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School Traditional Sports Day", etc. My friends and I always work joyfully and manage the time between study and doing activities, so every activity has a positive result.

I worked as backstage for several plays at school such as "Triam Udom The Musical", "Sweeney Todd", "Letters to Juliet", "761 The Musical", etc. This taught me how to deal with an uncomfortable situation. When I was backstage for "761 The Musical", my friend forgot to set a chair when the next act was going to begin. We could not blame each other in that situation but had to go through the problem. So, I rushed in and managed to set the chair in time.

Now, I am a part of "Triam Udom Student Committee" (TUSC) as president of Building 1. TUSC consists of 30 positions such as president, vice president, secretary, assistant secretary, public relation, event organizer, building presidents, etc. My task is to manage the building's activities and cooperate with either teachers or students in Building 1.

Being TUSC has made me learn that leadership is necessary for work but one must also be a follower and listen in order to work together. We organized up-coming school activities such as Thai tradition inheritance day. Many competitions will be held, for example, The Beauty and Thainess pageant (Thida Wattanatham), Green Papaya Salad Cooking and Dancing Contest (Somtam Leela) and Singing Thai traditional songs. There will also be fancy parades performed by 9 Buildings. Moreover, every building will own their booths. Managing them is my duty, so I divided up the work to Building 1 Student Committees. President of a parade is in charge of the parade and one of my vice presidents is also in charge of the booth. I have to manage, overview, and cooperate with TUSC and other Buildings.

Volunteering is an activity which I am glad to do. It made me understand and learn that happiness comes from helping others. On 26th October 2017, My friends, my teacher and I volunteered at "The Royal Cremation Ceremony for His Majesty the Late King Bhumibol Adulyadej" at Central World. I accommodated people by collecting garbage, giving out food and drinks. I did it from dawn till dusk. Although I was tired from the hot weather and walking all day, I was cheerful to see people smile, to see people come together, to be united.

Weeks ago, I interned as a creative and copywriter at Rightman Company which is an event, exhibitions, and museums organizer due to "The Dream Explorer", True Plookpanya's internship project. I talked to a senior researcher who was graduated with a degree in Archaeology. She said that most people prefer to study in the United Kingdom, Europe, or America but not Asia. Knowing Thailand has a lack of knowledge about Eastern Archaeology has inspired me.

Studying Archaeology in Korea is a meaningful goal that I want to accomplish. Everything I have encountered has made me who I am now, but there is still more I would like to see, this scholarship and being a Korean Government Scholarship Program student will push me further towards my dream becoming a reality.

Home / Scholarship / Personal Statement for KGSP2019 - Archaeology