Personal Statement for KGSP - to show my full potentials and meet my research expectations

fruitymay 2 / 2  

KGSP Graduate 2020 - Personal Statement

I'm applying for the KGSP and I need some help with my personal statement. Please bare in mind that this is only a draft and my brainstorming, I'll later on combine the paragraphs and put them into an essay format. All feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

Motivations with which you apply for this program:
After three years of majoring in English Language, literature and Civilization I'm finally going to graduate this year. And I wanted to broaden my knowledge by continuing my Master's outside of my country. That's why I've done an immense amount of research for the perfect opportunity that will serve me growth personally and professionally. And after coming across the GSP, I realized it was the perfect opportunity for me and I shall not let it go. It's like this program was hand-tailored for me. And after reading about all the achievements and contributions of the KGSP alumni in Korea and outside of it, I was hooked. And I was also sure that this program will be able to demonstrate my full potentials and meet my research expectations.

Your education and work experience in relation to GKS:
My Bachelor Degree in English has helped me grow into a critical person with diverse analytical abilities which I will be able to put to use if I get accepted into this program. Being an English major, I learned to question everything at hand and seek the truth no matter what. My study in English literature and civilization has prepared me for such a graduate program like GKS. In addition, I volunteered for a while year in the international organization AIESEC, in the department of Public Relations and Marketing. In which, I learned a lot about communication and the use of media in the modern market. I've also managed to be a part of the Communication Department in our faculty USTAND's club. We took care of everything digital and marketing related. And that helped me get a clearer picture of how media and digital presence can affect people and their opinion.

Reason for studying in Korea:
I think this program offers me a golden opportunity. Because not only do I get to study Media and journalism, which has been my dream ever since I was a little girl, but to also study it in South Korea; a beacon of media and entertainment in this day and age. It has always amazed me how The Southern Korean media utilized the rise of technology, the internet, and social media. Which is something rare in my country. I hope I will be able to learn from this and later on implement in my country. In addition, there is a remarkable incident that happened to me a few years ago that made me more impressed with Korea and the Korean Culture. We once had a festival in my local town, and a Korean traditional dance group came to perform. After they finished, I went ahead to talk to them. And their generosity and kind-hearted amazed me beyond measures. They were so genuine and they had their mind fixed on introducing their country in the best way possible. They tried to teach me a couple of Korean words and told me about their favorite foods there and places they like to go to when they're bored. They even tried to teach me the Korean traditional dance but I failed miserably. I remember how much I admired them and their persistence. And I got even more interested from then to learn more about such an intriguing culture, with such genuine people and amazing food and clothes.

Any other aspects of your background and interests which may help us evaluate your aptitude and passion for graduate study or research:
I come from a very small town in southern Tunisia, so we didn't have many local media nor the international ones. But I was privileged that my father was a reporter and a journalist in a newspaper and radio at certain periods of his life. So growing up around that field only grew my interest in it and made me realize how much I want to do it as well. The ability to affect millions and shed light on the truth amazed me and as I grew older I realized I was born for it. To this day, my dad still works as a freelance journalist and I try to help out or just watch him do his job whenever I can. I picked up a few skills along the way, like writing articles, radio presenting skills, interviewing people and reporting news. I haven't fully developed as a journalist but that's what I hope to get out of this program.
The main problem with your application will be your lack of working experience in relation to the course that you wish to apply for. Korea runs a very strict scholarship program that values the work experience of the applicant far more in relation to the course being applied for than the desire of a student to advance his academic studies, without work experience. All of the GKS applicants are notable participants in their field of work. All of them have an actual professional objective for wishing to go to Korea for studies. Your essay does not contain such a professional justification. Nor does it show any previous preparations for studying in Korea such as studying Hangul. I will grant that you are an English major. The other language used in Korea. So you should focus on explaining how you were attracted to study in Korea based on a professional aspiration. You have to show an interest in Korea, specifically in relation to the masters course you have chosen to study. By the way, you need to mention the course you want to study in relation to your reason for studying in Korea.

I am afraid the total essay is too superficial in content for it to qualify as a serious application once it is compared to the other participants. You should look up the other GKS scholarship application essays posted here. These people are your direct competitors. Once you read the qualifications of these students, you should realize why your essay needs to delve deeper and present more qualified information about you as a potential masters student.
AbhayWalia 2 / 3  
I feel like the the essay is too superficial in content for it to qualify as a application once it is compared to the other participants. your essay needs to search deeper and present more adequate information about you as a masters student.

Home / Scholarship / Personal Statement for KGSP - to show my full potentials and meet my research expectations