Unanswered [8] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Scholarship Posts: 5

Personal Statement for Master Program GLOCAL - Global History and Creative Industries 2019

wowthatscool 1 / 4  
Good day!

I would like to ask for a short review of my personal statement for a program in Global Markets, Local Creativities. Will be very thankful for help! Deadline is coming...

Criteria for a personal Statement:

·You should outline your motivation for choosing the GLOCAL programme (i.e. how it complements and develops your previous studies; how it relates to your potential future career path; how it relates to your personal and academic interests).

·Explain why you think you are a good candidate for the programme given your previous studies and how they relate to the courses offered on the programme in both years.

·If you have significant post-graduation work experience, please explain how those activities relate to the courses offered in the programme and why you are re-entering the academic world.

·Briefly indicate what you might see as being the topic of your Masters thesis (this can change later).
·You should highlight your participation in conferences, internships, non-governmental organisations, summer schools, and other socially sensitive or political activity; as well as any prizes/awards received even if these activities are not specially connected to the area of Global Markets & Local Creativities.

Personal Statement, actually.

My name is Me and I want to make regional economy great again. I am applying for Erasmus GLOCAL program to learn how to do it. My main interest is creative city development. I have a diverse academic and professional background, which includes a variety of advertising and creative industries experiences, volunteering and academic activities. I want to combine all my knowledges and skills, integrate them into the GLOCAL program, discover new perspectives and create new values in the field of creative economy.

My path is different from a classic academic version. My university life was tightly connected with my work and non-formal education. At for my academic degree, I study advertising and PR. I studied history of advertising, marketing strategy, sociology and wrote three research projects. Such subjects as history of cultures, theory of communication and advertising economy gave me an understanding of how ad industry historically emerged and developed. I also launched my own student project ARTBUS creative hub. It was a platform for students who study in the domain of creative industries, for them to communicate and cooperate.

As a for non-academic education, I took a 5-months course of advertising communications in a school of advertising. There I discovered my personal strength, learnt to work in diverse teams. We presented the best marketing campaign on course for Nestle Ukraine. It was a huge achievement for me as a first grader. I became motivated toconnect my life with creative industries.

Then I worked as a creative copywriter in one of the biggest ad agencies in the Ukraine. In 2018, I entered European Youth Parliament, became a part of Ukrainian delegation and visited Ukrainian Embassy in Lithuania. During the sessions, I developed intercultural and communicational skills, while cooperating with over 250 delegates from European countries and learnt to establish cultural diplomacy. I continued my EYP journey with International Academic Forum in Augsburg, where I tried myself as a lecturer. I combined youth politics with my advertising background. I taught the delegates creative techniques and we used them as tools for a session preparation. I was happy to see how different skills I obtained in advertising work efficiently in other domains.

I also was a part of EYP official board at Moscow session. As a chairperson, I chose to work on the topic of entrepreneurship development. With my committee, we presented a resolution aimed to tackle problems of SMEs in their relations with policymakers in European countries. It added up to my understanding of regional entrepreneurial dynamics.

I learnt about globalization, relations among European countries, European values. I liked to work on solutions for the problems. Most of all I appreciated the EYP value of making the world simply a better place. Here I felt a transition in my personality, I started to see more clearly why I need a Master Degree in Europe.

By this time, having considered the knowledges and experiences gained, I aimed to apply for GLOCAL. I studied the materials about courses and in the notions of Local and Global I found a direct match with my life. I lived in a capital of the Ukraine, with its intense economic and cultural life and in a smaller city, where life is less vibrant. I had internship in a local ad agency with 17 employees, who served local businesses and worked in an international agency with around 100 workers, who served MasterCard. I studied in a local ad school that does not have franchises and visited Kyiv design school that has an office in UK. I could see the distinctive difference and started to ponder over it.

Cities like Kharkiv face hard times developing. Most investments go to bigger cities. Ukrainian economy is centralized, which creates a loop. Young entrepreneurs create new small businesses, but they struggle to grow, since no infrastructure for SME`s is established. There is no such tradition and the attempts to create new enterprises are rarely financially successful. I wanted to find out why is that and what can be done. The idea of smaller regions development became my prime interest.

This is why I decided to study at GLOCAL program, since all its courses provide the answers to my questions. Global Varieties of Capitalism and Histories of Local Creativities offer a perspective on a history of successful development. Those courses are important for my understanding of how systems of industries emerged and reached a certain level of sustainability. Courses of Creative Industries in the Global Economy and Creative Cities lay directly in my sphere of interest, I see them as the most important for my future career. "The creative capital of the city." is my bachelor diploma topic I am very excited about. Course of History of Cultural Difference can help me in my EYP journey where I establish intercultural relations. Virtually every GLOCAL course correlates with my past experiences and interests. I can`t ask for more comprehensive and interesting program.

GLOCAL shaped my academic interest and inspired me to participate in Creative Europe organization. I participated in creative industries strategic session. With the team of professionals, we launched a draft industry development program in the sphere of CCI. I realized that creating such strategies is something I can do as my job in the future. I found a lot of organizations such as Creative Ring, Creative Cities Amsterdam Area, U CREATE and others that do similar projects. I found out that some of their leaders come from advertising background. It is not a surprise, because advertising equips one with useful strategic and creative tools. I also attended Creative Ukraine Forum where I participated in design thinking workshop where we elaborated on Ukrainian creative industries infrastructure scheme. Those experiences fueled my desire to apply for GLOCAL. My main objective is to learn how modern globalized economy work and, most importantly, - to learn how to make middle-size cities and regions more sustainable and competitive.

For my thesis theme, I would like to further explore the topic of creative city development.
I consider an option to concentrate on the cities of Eastern Europe, since this region requires special attention and is in need of research to accelerate its development.

For my career, I want to create city development strategies or work on policies in creative economy. I hope to use one of the program internship opportunities. I believe that GLOCAL will broaden my perspective and I will choose the field where I can be most productive.

I believe that I am the best candidate for GLOCAL program because I have a diverse background in creative industries, related academic degree, profound intercultural experience, passion for knowledge and life in general. Most importantly, I have a strong objective to connect my professional life with creative economy.

I know that I will be good fit for the Erasmus class, due to my soft skills and easy-going personality. If I am selected, all the parties will benefit. A new GLOCAL cohort will be enrichen with an ambitious and curious student, industry will open the doors for a passionate young professional, and ERASMUS students will make a good friend for life. Win-win-win.

Thank you for considering my candidature. I look forward to your positive response.

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,489 1927  
Kira, Your first line is trying to hard. Don't use a quote that doesn't apply to the actual essay you are writing. Don't be a sensationalist. Your essay can actually begin at the second paragraph, which directly relates to your academic background. Your thesis statement is too simplified and does not really outline a potential study plan that includes a thesis statement, methodology, and expected outcome. Since the thesis can be changed in the future, you just need to make sure that you develop the thesis enough to prove an interest in the course and a relationship with your academic background or professional goals. Your professional goals are not specific enough to warrant any attention from the reviewer. You need to be specific in your presentation regarding professional goals as well. The academic interests in your master course need to tie - in directly with the professional goals.

I find that your essay tends to be over informative. You need to focus your essay in only the points required by the prompt, shortening the presentation when you can to create a more interesting and informative essay in the process. Right now, you are just making vauge references to seminars attended and continuing education participation. For a more informative essay, be specific all the time, not just some of the time. What course did you enroll in? What are your dates of attendance? What was the end result of your participation? These information will be part of the vetting process of your application. Try to limit the provided information to only the ones that directly relate to the masters course you are interested in though. That will shorten the essay and also, be more supportive of your skills and academic foundation.

Your essay also needs to be edited in terms of presentation. Look at the prompt questions then provide the responses in the order that it is required based on its prompt ranking. That way the reviewer gets to the required information faster than having to read all of the essay before finding what he needs. The essay needs to be scannable for information rather than readable as the reviewer does not have enough time to read lengthy essays. The more you come in under the word requirement, the better your chances that the reviewer found all of the relevant information you placed into the essay.

You have the credentials to appear as a good candidate for the program. You just need to frame your skills properly so that your strengths will be seen clearly and immediately within your essay presentation.
OP wowthatscool 1 / 4  
Dear Contributor Holt, thank you very much for an extremely helpful feedback!

I modified my essay according to your comments, may I ask you to revise a new version? Thank you!

My name is Kira and I want to make cities creative and sustainable. I am applying for Erasmus GLOCAL program to learn how to do it. My main interest is creative city development.

I am motivated to apply for GLOCAL program because I believe that it perfectly complements my academic and professional background. My university life was tightly connected with my work and non-formal education. As for my academic degree, I study advertising and PR. I studied theory of communication, marketing strategy, sociology and wrote three research projects. Such subjects as history of advertising and theory of advertising gave me an understanding of how ad industry historically emerged and developed. I see a course "Creative Industries in the Global Economy" as the one to develop my prior knowledge in a more global perspective. The class of "History of World Cultures" I took during my first and second years is a firm base for such GLOCAL courses as "Mapping Global Order", "Histories of Local Creativities" and "History of Cultural Difference", they complement and develop my knowledges in cultural theories. At the beginning of my second year I launched my own student project "ARTBUS creative hub". It was a platform for students who study in the domain of creative industries to meet industry heroes. I appreciate valuable communication with specialists and happy that GLOCAL provides master classes from industry specialists and summer schools.

As a for non-academic education and work experience, in 2016 I took a 5-months course of advertising communications in a school of advertising, where I learnt strategic, conceptual and creative thinking tools. My team presented the best marketing campaign on course for Nestle Ukraine client. It was a huge achievement for me as a freshman. In 2017 I worked as a creative copywriter in one of the biggest ad agencies in the Ukraine for six months on strategic briefs from famous brands, such as Carlsberg and L`oreal. Having gained experience on real business cases, I am excited about the course "Companies in Emerging Sectors" because it can develop my knowledges about business growth. I expect to learn more about smaller businesses development. Entrepreneurship is a fuel for local economies, so I consider this course crucially important, as I plan to work in a field of city creative economy in the future.

Moreover, I got another opportunity to learn about entrepreneurship dynamics during one of the regional session of European Youth Parliament, Moscow 2018. With my committee, we presented a resolution aimed to tackle problems of SMEs in their relations with policymakers in European countries. It added up to my understanding of regional entrepreneurial dynamics, so I feel ready to take GLOCAL classes on entrepreneurship.

In the notions of local and global I found a match with my life. I lived in a capital of the Ukraine and in a smaller city, where life is less vibrant. I had internship in a local ad agency with 17 employees, who served local businesses and I also worked in an international agency with around 100 workers, who served MasterCard. I saw the distinctive difference between local and global and started to ponder over it.

GLOCAL courses appeared to provide the answers to my questions. "Global Varieties of Capitalism" offers a perspective on a history of successful development. The course is important for my understanding of how systems of industries emerged and reached a certain level of sustainability. The most important program courses for my future career as a creative consultant and strategist are "Creative Industries in the Global Economy" and "Creative Cities Intervention Models and Entrepreneurial Dynamics". Moreover, "The creative capital of the city" is my bachelor diploma topic I am going to present in June 2019. Virtually every GLOCAL course correlates with my past experiences and professional ambitions. I can`t ask for more comprehensive and interesting program.

For my extra curriculum activities, I am a member of European Youth Parliament since February 2018. During the sessions, I developed intercultural and communicational skills, while cooperating with over 250 delegates from European countries, and learnt to establish cultural diplomacy. In EYP I tried myself as a lecturer. I taught the delegates creative techniques and how to use them as tools for a session preparation. I was happy to see how different skills I obtained in advertising work efficiently in other domains. The idea of knowledge intersection is also a GLOCAL credential I appreciate.

More professional experience related to the GLOCAL program I gained during my participation in Creative Europe NGO events, such as creative industries strategic session 2018. With the team of professionals, we launched a draft industry development program in the sphere of CCI. I also attended Creative Ukraine Forum in Autumn 2018 where I attended lectures and participated in design thinking workshop. With the team, we elaborated on Ukrainian creative industries infrastructure scheme. This experience proved me again that I took the right path.

For my thesis theme, I would like to further explore the topic of creative city development. My thesis statement may sound like: Local Creative Ecosystem as a universal method of city development. I want to explore the strategies of creative ecosystems building and create schemes which would be applicable and adaptable to different cities. I want to make the process of creative city development more simple and accessible even to less-developed regions. Such research can also become a methodology for an organization which would provide services of creative city acceleration. I also consider an option to concentrate particularly on the cities of Eastern Europe, since this region is in the need of innovation.

For my professional goals, I have a couple of options. At first, I want to work in a creative consultancy organization, design city/ district creative development strategies, cooperation strategies, participate in creative economy policy making. I want to work on real cases of city development.

In the future, I plan to open my own organization that would provide such services in different regions and cooperate with governments, using methodology developed in my Master research. I look up to such projects as Tom Flemming creative consultancy, that work with a variety of destinations, including Africa.

I also consider an option of doing Phd, because I am interested in research and developing new methodologies. While working on my Master Thesis I will see if it would be reasonable to continue research activity.

I believe that I am the best candidate for GLOCAL program because I have a diverse background in creative industries, related academic degree, profound intercultural experience and passion for knowledge. Most importantly, I have a strong objective to connect my professional life with creative economy.

I know that I will be good fit for the Erasmus class, due to my soft skills and easy-going personality. If I am selected, all the parties will benefit. A new GLOCAL cohort will be enrichen with an ambitious and curious student, industry will open the doors for a passionate young professional, and Erasmus students will make a good friend for life. Win-win-win.

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,489 1927  
Kira, this part; " in 2016 I took a 5-months course of advertising communications in a school of advertising" needs to be more specific. What was the university name? How does this relate to your interest in the GLOCAL program? Inform the reader about " I worked as a creative copywriter in one of the biggest ad agencies in the Ukraine for six months" Include the agency name. These information are important and will be checked for accuracy. If you believe for even an instant that you may have problems should these information be investigated, take it out of the essay. Anything you cannot identify and expand in the discussion will not help your application. I noticed that you have a habit of mentioning non-verifiable work and educational experiences in this essay. Please fix that problem based on my preceding advice. These information only create credibility questions for your essay instead of strengthening it. Skip the part about explaining why you believe you are the best GLOCAL candidate. Your credentials as explained in the essay and based on the prompt requirements have successfully pleaded your case for the scholarship. You just need to clear up some points of reference for the reviewer to consider.
OP wowthatscool 1 / 4  
Thank you a lot, your help made a big difference in the quality of my application! I added some detailed information and also included more data in my CV. I would definitely recommend this service to my friends!

Home / Scholarship / Personal Statement for Master Program GLOCAL - Global History and Creative Industries 2019