Statement of 1,000 words or less setting forth career objectives for DAR Scholarship

adaeze543238 1 / 1  
I don't know if I'm on topic or not, so I think I need some help on my essay:

Being raised by Nigerian immigrants in America is quite... amusing, actually. All my life, my parents have always told me to follow "my" dreams and to be "whoever" I want to be. Sweet and encouraging, is it not? Well, I forgot to mention that "whoever" is actually short for "whatever type of doctor, nurse, lawyer or engineer" I choose as a career for the future. It is every Nigerian parent's dream to see their children obtain any one of these four careers. It's almost like when I was young, my parents would whisper in my ears "you will be a doctor, nurse, lawyer or engineer" while I was asleep. If that's what they did, well, it worked.

My dad, especially, would tell that the only good jobs out there are in all four of those fields and it would be best for me to choose a career in medicine because I love science. I decided to take him up on his advice and explore a career in medicine, more specifically a career as either a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or a Pediatric Cardiologist. Becoming a nurse or doctor would be more suitable careers for me because I like the fact that I can impact and improve the quality of someone's life with the use of my own two hands.

When I first decided to explore a career in medicine, the one question that really stumped me was "What kind of career do I really want to step into?" There are so many; how do I choose? So one day, I decided to research every career in medicine known to man. The first career I stumbled upon was that of a dermatologist. I read the overview and thought, "Wow, this is the job for me!" (Oh, was I so wrong.) I stopped my search and ran to tell my dad about my future career.

Me: "Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up! I want to be a dermatologist..."
Dad: "Derma-what? What is that?"
Me: "It is called a dermatologist. You know, a doctor that specializes in the care of skin..."
Dad: "Those people don't make money."
Me: "But Daddy, yes they do! They're doctors!"
Dad:" Shut ya mouth! They make nothing. Find another job!"
So I marched down the steps, beaten down with despair and sat back down at the computer once again. Just as I was about to exit the dermatologist job description page, I stumbled upon one last bullet-pointed fact. It was a link to a list of skin diseases that dermatologists specialize in. So, being the curious teen that I am, I clicked on it and there it was: the foulest thing ever to grace my eyes, pictures and pictures of open blistering sores, burns, wounds, etc. You name it, the picture was there. I tried to scroll down and read the descriptions, but they were too much for my stomach to handle. "This is not the job for me!" I thought. So on to the next.

I went back to the list and saw the job description for a general surgeon. "A general surgeon does not sound so bad." I thought. But then I remembered, I do not like the sight of big open wounds, much less being the one that creates them. I passed on that one, too. After several hours of deep considering and bloodshot eyes from staring at the computer so long, I narrowed my list down to choosing to become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or a Pediatric Cardiologist. Both careers give me the chance to improve the health of children and teens. As a pediatric cardiologist, I will work to reduce the amount of heart conditions seen in young children, while as a pediatric nurse practitioner, I will have the ability to take part in a range of problems in children. To be able restore the miracle of life with the touch of my hands to children who need my care is what I long for in the end.

Because of my research that day, I realized that I wanted to work with children and found two careers that I can pursue to achieve this goal. Because of this event, I have decided to pursue an education at Kennesaw State University. I want to attend a college that will give me first-hand experience in my pursuit to obtain a career in medicine. Throughout college, I want to expand my horizons and build up connections that can be used in my professional career. I go above and beyond in everything I do and I am not afraid to push outside of my boundaries to achieve something beneficial to my success. Pursing an education at Kennesaw State will give me the allowance to push myself towards horizons I never knew I could reach. With the rigorous academic programs, highly trained staff and small-class learning environments, Kennesaw State seems to be the school to give me the opportunity to work hands on to develop the skills I need to conquer the workforce. I want be able to participate in several outreach programs and become an advocate for positive change in areas of need.

The DAR scholarship will give me the allowance to pay my way to this goal. Because I am passionate in everything I do, I am exceedingly determined to achieve all my goals. I plan on attending Kennesaw State University to pursue a degree in nursing. Once I receive my B.S. in Nursing from Kennesaw State, my goal is to attend medical school in pursuit of a career as a Pediatric Cardiologist or a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. I know the careers I have chosen to strive towards will take a great deal of work to realize, but I have the capability to work hard and follow my dreams. In the end, my hard work will all be worth it. The benefits this organization will receive will be that your money has made another successful investment in the life of another bright individual.
AngleCal - / 1  
It's almost like when I was younger , my parents would whisper in my ears-- "You will be a doctor, nurse, lawyer or engineer"- - while I was asleep. If that's what they did, well, it worked.

My dad, especially, would tell me that the only good jobs out there are in all four of those fields and it would be best for me to choose a career in medicine because I love science.

When I first decided to explore a career in medicine, one question stumped me: What kind of career do I really want to step into?[/i] (I would italicize the question, because it is an inner thought).

So, being the curious teen that I am, I clicked on it and there it was the foulest thing ever to grace my eyes: endless pictures of open blistering sores, burns, wounds, etc.

Get rid of "You name it, it was there."
This is not the job for me! [i]

So one day, I decided to research every possible career in medicine.
So I marched down the steps, defeated, and once again sat back down at the computer.
I went back to the list and saw the job description for a general surgeon. A general surgeon does not sound so bad.(italicize internal thought, and if you do that you don't have to say "I thought.")

Because of my research that day, I realized that I wanted to work with children and found two careers that I can pursue to achieve this goal: Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and Pediatric Cardiologist . I have decided to pursue an education at Kennesaw State University.

After several hours of deep research , I narrowed my list down to either becoming a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or a Pediatric Cardiologist.
Pursing an education at Kennesaw State will give me the allowance to push myself over the horizons.

You answer the prompt, I got to know your personality. Also, I happen to be Nigerian and I understand the parents thing and I am also applying to same scholarship! Good Luck!
OP adaeze543238 1 / 1  
Thank you so much! I had some issues with the way some of my sentences sounded, but i just didn't know how to fix them and you did just that. Good luck to you too!

Home / Scholarship / Statement of 1,000 words or less setting forth career objectives for DAR Scholarship