My steps for the better education and future. Letter of Self introduction for KGSP 2017

Windyblue93 1 / 1  

the course of life

Some people are fortunate to be directed in the right course of their lives and some are not including me. Until 18, I had never thought of being anything but Architect because that was all my parents expected me to be. However, I dropped out of University of Architecture when in my second year because it did not feel right. I took some time off until there was something that kept convincing me go for Digital Media in RMIT. People started to criticise me for leaving such a good university to waste money on an expensive one including my parents. But, to me it is not about the best place to stay, it is about where you feel like to be to become the best version of yourself. For every decision that we make, we will be the ones prove it right. Then to gain new perspective, I transferred to Melbourne and graduated there. And now, I want to apply for a master scholarship in Korea.

It seems like I take a long road to identify what is my true calling but when I look back on my life, there were many little steps along the way that have led me to this choice. My parents expected me to be an Architect because I have affinity for drawing. As I grew up, somehow I was always the center in my classes and groups of friends even I had no interest on being a captain or president. As a traditional middle school teacher, my mom kept complaining my clothes and fashion sense. Until 2012, I won $1000 and become model promoting new Adidas Original collection in Vietnam. I got to work with a professional media team from a Fashion magazine and that was when I discovered my true love for Fashion and Media.

In my final year, while working part time and intern in some Australian creative agencies, I discovered that doing graphic work as a designer does not fulfill my creative longing. I want to make both of my passion paid off in a professional life which brings me fame and money. This unconsolable desire has triggered me a self-exploring that led me to Fashion business. Within this industry, I could trade my ideas into millions instead of working hours for dollars. If I get to work in one of the biggest Fashion and lifestyle magazine in Korea like Vogue or ELLE, besides learning how Korean people do business and make their Fashion style stand out around the world. I will get to work with models and public figures which brings me reputation and good network connection . Moreover, with a head of business, I will apply that knowledge into Vietnam market and develop my own Fashion store selling designs from young emerging designers in Vietnam, which is similar to Aland in Korea. To be able to work in such a high pressure and competitive industry, I'm not only needing to further my study but also getting involved deeply with the people, culture and Korean society. Last but not least, that is a very personal way I can reach the people, those have left so much love and impact on me, not as a fan but as a co-worker.

As a non native Korean, it's extremely hard for me to get what I desire from there. I'm either coming with a very impressive work experience or a good reputation which I don't have at the moment. Therefore, the only opportunity for me is to get a scholarship in one of the best University in Korea and with KGSP, I will possibly make my dream come true. Acknowledgedly, KGSP is an very highly competitive program and those make it through must be standout most traditional definitions.

As a fresh graduated from RMIT, the first ranked institution about Design and Media in Australia, with some hands-on working experience, I take pride on me to apply for Master of Visual Communication in Yonsei University. Although my GPA is not very impressive but I got all High Distinction in all classes that related to visual aesthetic and art direction. Additionally, I believe in my portfolio which visually expresses my personality and creative mind.
Nguyen, as a letter of self introduction, this follows more of a personal statement path than the letter that the KGSP requires of its applicants. You are expected to deliver only 4 key points in your essay that should cover one page in length. None of the 4 key points are covered in this essay. These key points are as follows:

1. Your course of life, your view of life, study background, your hopes & wishes, etc
2. Your education and work experience, etc., in relation to the KGSP program
3. Your motivations for applying for this program
4. Reason for study in Korea

There are scattered bits and pieces of the required information strewn throughout your current essay. What you need to do is collate the required information for presentation and discussion development in the manner that satisfies the required data content of a self introduction letter. The topics I indicated above should make it easier for you to revise your essay by taking the applicable parts of your essay, then discussing it in the expected manner. We can review your essay for content and presentation once you have corrected the information it contains.

Please make sure that you have a professional background to speak of. That is one of the most important required elements of the letter because it directly relates the preparations you have undertaken or your preparedness to take on the masters degree course. Since you do not have it, as indicated in this letter, then try to discuss your internship experience in a manner that would allow it to pass as a professional reference of sorts.

If you are applying via university track, please explain why you chose to attend this university in Korea and how it coincides with your ideas for your professional development. Also, explain why you feel that Korean education in this field is what you need when you could study in Melbourne or on your home country as well.

Follow the focus of discussion that the essay list indicates. Remove the feel of the personal statement by indicating the required elements and nothing more. Do not deviate. Just provide the important letter requirements.
dewika 2 / 5 2  
I personally think you didn't elaborate more on why you choose Korea to study. And if you want to be more into fashion, why pursue Visual Communication Design instead of the actual fashion design major? And what I get from this essay is too much negativity. But I like that you showed your achievements.
OP Windyblue93 1 / 1  
@dewika
hi Dewika, thanks for your response :). First of all my background is Digital media, I cant ask for a scholarship in Fashion. Secondly, I want be an an Art Director (in Fashion) which 's supposed to have design knowledge and one of the path way to get there is Visual communication.

Thank you for your detailed response, Holt. I will fix it asap based on your guide above.

Home / Scholarship / My steps for the better education and future. Letter of Self introduction for KGSP 2017