My story can be summarized in three words: Change or Die. Why I deserve a scholarship?

thaobui1907 2 / 4 2  
Please tell us why you should receive a scholarship. Please provide as much detail as you can about yourself, your ambitions for the future and what you hope to achieve.

My story can be summarized in three words: Change or Die. Surrounded by an imaginary jail called "safe zone", I lived and studied hazily until the university entrance examination forced me to face with the fact that without a well-educated basement, I would not achieve anything precious. My intensive effort filled up the blank in my academic background and brought me to the best private University in Vietnam. After graduation, being conscious of the role of English in recruitment and Post-graduate education, I bend over my backward to study IELTS myself from the poor beginning and eventually achieved the overall score of 6.5. Despite of having a good job in Vietnam Multimedia Corporation, ambitions urge me to take the greatest challenge of my life: studying abroad.

Undeniably, developing in future society is the education market. Real experiences as a student and a teacher assistant made me identify the gap between the demand of the students and the relevance of the teachers as main issue of contemporary education system. Inspired by the initial result from my research called "Vietnamese students and orient vocation concerns", I nourish a project about a world-wide supply chain where information related to students and teachers is available. For my plan, studying in LJMU is a fundamental step.

In terms of academy, I expect that a year studying in LJMU will equip me with valuable knowledge in advanced management within the global context required for my successful career. Never living far away from home, studying abroad offers me a great opportunity of self-survival, gaining intangible skills including financial management and social skills. Furthermore, the diverse cultures of campus life may enable me to gain experiences of engagement and social navigation.

However, always presenting as considerable financial strain is money. Obtaining the scholarship, I will lighten the burden on my mother's shoulders. Beyond the financial meaning, this scholarship is on verge of proving my latent capabilities which so far have not been recognized by my acquaintances, especially, my parents. My success will make them believe the worthy of investment on my study.

Thank for your help ^^
Thao, your essay sounds more like a statement of purpose than a scholarship application. You are being asked to justify the reasons why you believe that you deserve a scholarship. So talking about being able to attend a private school in Vietnam and being able to afford college is not the proper discussion to present. Neither is telling the reviewer that you are leaving a lucrative job in your country to go study abroad. You are basically telling the scholarship committee that you can afford to go to school in a different country, you are just opting not to spend your own money if you can.

Mentioning that you do not want to financially burden your mother at the end of the essay seems to have come out of nowhere. There was nothing in your essay that indicated your came from a "financially challenged" background so the reference to taking a "financial weight" off her shoulders just doesn't ring true for your reasons as to why you deserve this scholarship.

Remember, there are truly deserving students who have excellent grades, admirable study and career objectives, a selfless attitude, and a desire to help others through their studies who will also be applying for the scholarship. These are students who truly cannot afford to go to school abroad but have the talent and valid reasons to deserve the scholarship. How do you think you can compete with the grassroots applicants who deserve the scholarship more? What in your opinion makes you a better candidate than them?

Unless you can prove something truly admirable and worthy about yourself, your future plans, your life, and your lack of finances that will align with the essay requirements, I do not think you will be able to come up with the correct response to this prompt. Remember, your background says " My family and i have money'. What is should try to say is "I don't have money to study but I have the ambition and drive to continue studying because... so I am hoping for your help."
ntlinh 2 / 6 1  
Dear thaobui1907,

This is my suggestion based on my own experience only. For the scholarship application, universities would like to see the potential, not motivative or purpose. You should show them you have the aims and make them believe that you will put all your strength to achieve it.

Do not hide the fact that you want scholarship for reduce tuition fees, but just a brief remind that. In fact, the more the true, the better they believe. It easier to believe that one student will try their best to get scholarship because of tuition fee rather than getting scholarship for doing something extraordinary.

This is my experience only. I have state to the straight what is my real reason when I go for scholarship interview. Of course, we must know how to make it "half true half lie".

Home / Scholarship / My story can be summarized in three words: Change or Die. Why I deserve a scholarship?