Study in UK - Chevening Essay - The Importance of Visual Design in Museums.

Jeleetah 1 / 1  

Museums in Indonesia

The topic for my final project as a graphic design student is museum and made an interactive website for a Museum located in Balige, North Sumatra, Indonesia called Museum Batak TB Silalahi Center. I got inspired when I became a volunteer in a Independent Museum Educator called Museum Ceria. There, I learned a lot of things about museums. Such as, the reasons why kids and families in Indonesia, in my case Jakarta, prefer to go to the mall to spend their time rather than Museum, how to give the Museum visitor a great experience by creating interactive and fun programs and the types of Museum Communication and Museum Marketing for the visitor. But because of my background, I need to learn more about Museum to make a good final project. Than, I participated in Museum correlated seminars and online courses such as an online course by University of Leicester in Futurelearn. called, "Behind the Scene at the 21st Century Museum".

To pursue my goal, I applied to three Universities in UK that I believe can help me took a step further for my career. My first choice is Museum Studies in University of Leicester. This course fits perfectly with my goal. One of the modules that will help me achieve my goal is called "Designing for a Creative Lives". This module is very related for the topic that I will bring in my thesis, because I can learn more on how to communicate an exhibition through design and the strategies to create a different and meaningful experience while and after visiting Museum Batak TB Silalahi in North Sumatra, Indonesia, which I have never learn formally. The lecturer for this modul is Professor Suzzane MacLeod and she has done some projects related to this topic. my second choice is Art Museum and Gallery Studies also in University of Leicester. In this course, I can learn more about engaging art museum audience, how to market them and the role of art museum to enrich lives of its people around it. Indonesia has a lot of art museums that needs to be well marketed and learn how to enrich lives of its people around the museum. And my last choice is New Castle University. Here, I can learn how to use communication interpretation planning and programming and range of media approaches and types used to visitor engagement.

Many Museums in Indonesia has not been able to adjust its way to give a meaningful experience to the visitor in this 21st century, which makes less people in Indonesia wants to visit the Museum. While Museum has a very important role in the social, educational and cultural life of its people. Therefore, As the Chevening scholar, I can have the privilege to study more about Museum with very respectful lecturers from UK. Than I will bring and apply that knowledge to make Museums in Indonesia better in their communication, marketing and can give a meaningful experience to the visitor, especially through their visuals and designs.
Jelita, you need to pick 3 universities with 3 courses. While you have the option to pick 3 courses at one university, the reality of the matter is that if you are refused for the university for one course, then it is most likely that you will not be approved for the other 2 courses as well. In order to ensure that you will end up being approved for a university and course, it is best to spread out your choices. However, if you really want to keep 2 courses in one university then you can do that.

Now your course choices should not be based on what your course thesis will be. Neither should it be based upon what you have not learned during your university studies. Rather, it must be based on your current skills and how a particular course can improve your job performance. Or, you should consider how a particular area of study is a continuation of your college studies which, in the end, will help you become a better trained professional in the field. Your second paragraph is not clear about these requirements. By the way, present it as one university per paragraph instead of 3 universities in one paragraph. It is difficult to read and you are not fully explaining your reasons within the paragraph, making it more difficult for the reviewer to get to know your mindset with regards to your university and course choices. You must create an impression of how your college studies gave you the foundation or background to succeed as a student in a particular course. Since this is a masters course you are applying to, it is understood that you are going to be doing continuing education so you have to show that there is a logical progression to yoru academic and professional career through the completion of your studies in each course.

Your second and third course choices are very little explained and not properly shedding light as to how the studies corelate to your profession. So what, if a certain professor is giving the lecture? Of what importance is it to your current profession? The essay is all about you, not the people visiting the museum. They are not the ones applying for the scholarship, you are.
imbws 2 / 3 1  
@Jeleetah
Agree with Holt. You can start by elaborating your current projects in your office before going to your chosen courses. Then you can explain how the courses relate to your current projects as well as how they will build you professional career in the future. Semangat! You can do it, I am also currently preparing for my essays.

Just wondering if you could give comments on my essay directly via email. I have seen your positive feedbacks and I think I really need ones for my essays. If you agree, could you please drop your email address so I can send you my essays? Thanks in advance. MOD - Please use the "SERVICES" link above this site.
OP Jeleetah 1 / 1  
Dear @Holt

About my course choices, I think i will try to consider writing my essay on how Museum Studies can be a continuation of my study that will help me to be better in my future carrier, and separate my course choices into 3 paragraphs.

Thank you very much, i really appriciate your input for my essay!

@imbws

i want to elaborate my final project when i was a Visual Communication Design Student and how Museum Studies can help me continue and make me better in the future career.

Thank you! good luck on your essay!@ Jeleetah

Home / Scholarship / Study in UK - Chevening Essay - The Importance of Visual Design in Museums.