Why I want to study my courses in the UK?

RickyT 1 / -  

to enhance and sharpen my academic skills

Life has been uneasy for me! The firstborn of three, I learned to fend for myself at an early age. Curiosity has constantly been my vice. Why were things the way they were? I questioned my upbringing! I examined nature. I wanted to fathom why things remain the way they were. How do medicines work? Seeking answers to these questions and many others over time led to the choice to pursue a career in the medical field. I consider a career in the medical field, as the ideal opportunity to stimulate my mind in a fascinating field where I get to discover on a microscopic level why things occurred the way they did and how I can stir things to yield experimental results all in the laboratory.

At age 17 I commenced my studies as a Biochemistry major at Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo state, Nigeria at the age of 17. My experience there was phenomenal! I completed courses in Food studies, Industrial, Forensic studies, Clinical trials, Analytical science Immunology, Virology, Organic, Physical and Inorganic chemistry to name a few. I seized the opportunity in the laboratory during my undergraduate studies and also got exposed to other forms of laboratory work. I practiced phlebotomy, ran chemistry experiments, I got to see blood cells on a microscopic level and understand defects in bloodlines. Sickle cell anemia obtains no longer a said diagnosis but one I could see under the microscope as I watched sickle cells and how the structurally different theory was from normal cells. Growing up in Nigeria, sickle cell is so common understanding clinically what it meant gave more meaning to the diagnosis and indeed aided me in understanding the potential issues friends I knew with the disease were going through. I was able to broaden my knowledge in all aspects of the laboratory and loved every time, hour and day spent in the laboratory. I rotated through diverse forms of laboratory medicine and with time I preferred a unique interest in immunology. I was a lit bit curious about understanding the immune system and the mechanism involved in fighting peculiar diseases, specifically Human Deficiency Virus (HIV). During this period, I broadened my knowledge of Human Deficiency Virus another widespread illness where I live. The drive to learn more, to enhance and sharpen my academic skills as a biomedical scientist or public health specialist particularly is why I am interested in furthering my education on a masters level in the UK and basically the key reason why I have selected three programs of my preferences.

Lastly, the UK is popularly known to boast of an excellent international reputation, various cultural diversity, offer excellent support facilities and invest largely in their health sector.

It is my goal that in completing a masters course I will be competent to contribute to both universities in Nigeria, the UK and to the clinical field at large. I know I will make a massive impact on the acquired knowledge and skills.
terminal28 4 / 20 5  
So.......what are the three courses and three universities that you have selected for your studies in the UK?

Home / Scholarship / Why I want to study my courses in the UK?