Study Objective [Fulbright] : Studying HCI to Solve Problem Based on Human Behavior.

kukas90 3 / 4  
"People should not adjust to the machines but rather, the machines should adjust to people."

I am ready

I am introducing myself as a distinguished candidate from a rapidly developing country, Indonesia. I am a bachelor of psychology with a big passion in technology and human empowerment. I currently work in a technology based social enterprise, while also own a small women's wear business. My experience made me believe that every business should care about human behaviors and user's journey satisfaction as people's positive interaction with business is the key success of any existing business. Therefore, I am writing to show my interest in master's degree in the field of Human Computer Interaction in United States, the pioneer country of tech startup and the home country of leading technology companies to the world. I am certain that the master's degree will enhance me to become a successful User Experience (UX) professional, with the great exposure of US' technology companies environment. It will provide me with in-depth learning in understanding people, learning the necessary techniques in order to research why humans use technology, and how digital products should be developed to solve problems.

My work experiences shaped me into someone who really values the impact the enterprise is making and how an enterprise should be sustainable to make continuous impact. Specifically in XX, we build access through technology for non tech-savvy users. Our technology touches them directly as almost 70% Indonesians are low income society who lives in small cities with limited access. Here is where I fell in love with technology industry as I believe that technology will accelerate changes and people empowerment. Unfortunately, most startup developments in Indonesia are focused for middle-high society who has the privilege of easy access in many things in life. In building my business, I also got the exposure to empower traditional textiles craftsmen from different cultures in Indonesia. As a business owner, I really understand the importance of giving people the best and satisfying journey. With all my experiences, I have known I want a career in technology to empower people ever since. Even in this era of digitalization, my background and experience help my way of thinking that every enterprise and product is human-centric, made to be used by human, made to support people's life, made to solve problem.

My aspiration is to be a qualified tech-people who has balanced understanding of engineering as well as understanding human, to be able to develop not the coolest technology but the most usable one. In the future, the role of UX will keep on changing as time goes by. What's sure is that human will still be the center of any changes, and integrating humanities to technology to maximize the user's experience will be the most fundamental element to success. I want to use technology to solve those problems through designing digital products for the age we live in. I want to be someone who understand the pain points of people who are using the products, to start fixing the problem, and help them along their journey. I believe that taking this degree will strengthen my knowledge in human-centric engineering and UX and help me to reach my aspiration.

As I come back to Indonesia, I picture myself contributing to or developing a impactful social enterprise, to be someone who takes part in researching, developing and designing familiar technology environments that are usable for people who needed us the most. In the long term, I see myself as an UX expert leading a strong team to help solving complex issues in the world. I would also see my business growing as a tech social enterprise that gives satisfying journey for both the customers and the traditional craftsmen communities that we serve.

In my country, I also find that psychology graduates rarely dive into technology industry as UX specialist or any other positions, even though as psychology graduates we actually have the strong foundation and knowledge to contribute solving problems through designing digital products based on human behavior and needs. I want to be a good example and give positive influence to other psychology graduates that we all have another room of contribution.

With the Fulbright Awardee network, I will use my skill in building relationships with new friends, experts and professionals. I look forward to work together with inspiring alumnus of Fulbright Awardee to be a problem solver through technology. Hopefully, I will be ready to launch, to develop improvement, new innovations, to solve people's problems and to make impact through technology. To learn about new culture and to share Indonesia's beautiful culture is always exciting for me as I believe that cultural exchange is an eye-opening process to our knowledge and to our soul. Together making innovations, improvements, and positive changes.

My post-graduation journey had prepared me to this point where I am ready to accelerate my knowledge, leverage my skills, and broaden my network. I would be honored to be granted admission to give a valuable contribution to your program. I believe that my knowledge will be enhanced by completing the Human Computer Interaction Master's Degree as I will be more capable in making scalable impact through technology.
Eda, what the specific point of your study? You have given an extensive background for yourself in business but not IT and you have not made the connection between consumer understanding and HCI in your essay. There is no real focus in the discussion. There is no point to your interest. It doesn't tell the reviewer anything about your study objectives at all.

To fix this essay, you first need to consider what it is that you want to do in relation to a connected system / presentation of consumer interests that fall under the HCI field. For example, some department stores now have storefront shops but no actual stocks in the store. Amazon recently launched an employee free grocery where people interact with computers at the checkout instead of actual humans registering and closing the purchase. How does HCI fit into your business interests in a manner that this would become an acceptable study objective for you? What human behavior in particular do you believe HCI has yet to focus on and why do you think that studying that will help you make a positive contribution to the field of Consumer Behavior - HCI concepts? Does this interest in any way have a direct applicability in your line of business? How do you see yourself pioneering this technological concept?

Based on the current trends in consumer based HCI, how would you see yourself performing a specific type of research as part of your study goal. The study goal must contain a workable thesis statement and a plan of research along with an assumed conclusion. Then explain how the scholarship can help you achieve the results you are looking forward to implementing through the research once you return to your home country.

From the looks of it, you can use paragraphs 3 and 4 in your revised essay. Paragraph 6 should be presented alongside information in paragraph 3 and 4 because Psychology has a direct relation with the study of consumer behavior. Therefore, it integrates into the reasons for your interest in heightened and more integrated consumer behavior - HCI concepts. All the other paragraphs may be omitted.

Home / Scholarship / Study Objective [Fulbright] : Studying HCI to Solve Problem Based on Human Behavior.