STUDYING IN THE UK - Chevening: motivations to make marketing sustainable

ele_ol 2 / 4  

STUDYING IN THE UK QUESTION

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

Over the past 5 years I have been working in the marketing field and witnessed that the focus and emphasis have been switching to the digital side as the return-on-investment of digital marketing is more measurable than traditional marketing. As a result, organizations and management became shortsighted and have a higher tendency than ever to demand immediate results and performance but leave other aspects behind. Even if organisations agree that sustainability is important to all their stakeholders, concerns remain about how to market according to sustainable principles.

On the other hand, I think marketing tools can be more powerful than making profit for the company. Marketing should indeed serve as a bridge between corporate responsibility and profitability.

Sustainable marketing is a new concept in marketing and business that especially in Hong Kong, there is no any master course in this specific area so far. Learning with peers from all over the world in a renowned institution will enhance my competence to work in multinational companies. Therefore, I wish to pursue one of the following master's degree:

1.) Heriot-Watt University: International Marketing Management with Sustainability (MSc)

Sustainable marketing initiatives often require a significant capital investment to change the way a company does business or to innovate its products and services so they have a more positive impact on the environment. I wish to acquire the knowledge and skills to lead on sustainable and socially responsible marketing throughout this programme. More importantly, besides academic knowledge and understanding, industry insights and experiences can be also provided by the teaching team comprised of internationally well-known industry expertise and renowned academics.

2.) Royal Holloway, University of London: Consumption, Culture and Marketing (MA)

I have an undergraduate degree with a major in Marketing and minor in Sociology. I'm always curious about the society and business at the same time and wonder how can I combine my interests into one. I was very excited when I discovered this distinctive interdisciplinary masters programme that draws together content from both marketing and sociology. During this programme, I have the opportunity to analyse marketing and consumer behaviour with a view to better understand how marketing connects with society and culture.

3.) University of Brighton: Marketing (Social Marketing) (MSc)

This course has a common goal with mine: plan programmes to influence and ultimately change behaviours of target audience. After completing the programme, I will be able to apply techniques and concepts to promote behavioural changes for the benefit of individuals and society, such as improved diets, healthier lifestyles.

I wish to make use of marketing techniques I learned to improve individual and societal wellbeing. If I continue to work in the financial sector, I can design and implement marketing campaigns that are beneficial to the society. Moreover, spread the message and idea of sustainable marketing to colleagues, management and other stakeholders of the organization and make long term changes.
Angela, your second paragraph is too short and does not really help to enhance the information you are presenting about your background in the essay. So you can remove that part and just use the 3rd paragraph as the second paragraph of the essay. Now, are for the reference to your future career paths. your first and third university choices show how you plan to use the courses in the future. However, your second choice doesn't indicate how this opportunity you might be given will help to open a career path for your in the future. Additionally, you should remove the reference to your undergraduate degree in this section. You should discuss your academic foundation as it applies to all of the courses you have chosen, not just this particular course. The reason is simple. You must provide concrete proof that your academic background has given you the foundation to succeed as a masters student, regardless of which course you are sponsored by Chevening for.
OP ele_ol 2 / 4  
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedbacks, I've revised accordingly:

I have an undergraduate degree with a major in Marketing and minor in Sociology. I always like to think intellectually about the world and enjoy being challenged. Therefore, I think marketing tools can be more powerful than making profit for the company. Marketing should indeed serve as a bridge between corporate responsibility and profitability. Sustainable marketing is a new concept in marketing and business that especially in Hong Kong, no any master course in this specific area is launched so far. I believe learning with peers from all over the world in a renowned institution will enhance my competence to work in multinational companies. Below are my choices of three master's programmes:

2.) University of Brighton: Marketing (Social Marketing) (MSc)

This course has a common goal with mine: plan programmes to influence and ultimately change behaviours of target audience. After completing the programme, I will be able to apply techniques and concepts to promote behavioural changes for the benefit of individuals and society, such as improved diets and healthier lifestyles.

3.) Royal Holloway, University of London: Consumption, Culture and Marketing (MA)

I'm always curious about the society and business at the same time so I was very excited when I discovered this distinctive interdisciplinary masters programme that draws together content from both marketing and sociology. This course will engage in a number of theoretical areas theoretical areas: branding, marketing, bio-power and neoliberalism. I will gain insights from analysing marketing behaviour and consumption practices and critically explore the experiences within the consumer society.

Home / Scholarship / STUDYING IN THE UK - Chevening: motivations to make marketing sustainable