How studying media and communication contributes to my career

kacanakya 5 / 12 3  

media literate society

The study will contribute to my goal to be a media professional who is able to continuously develop critical comprehension of the mass media, capable in applying analytical and strategic communication skills to fulfill targets, and also useful to the society.

First, the study will help me solve problems in understanding my audience's needs and determining the appropriate communication strategy to engage with them. For example, in my job as a coordinator for Japan tourism web magazine targeting Indonesian audience, I have identified my audience characteristics as a majority of Islam followers and their needs for information regarding tourism in Japan that accommodate their religious views. I have adjust the magazine content to fulfill their needs, but have yet to improve the readership engagement. I infer that I do not have full comprehension of my audience's need and/or haven't applied the appropriate communication strategy (the choice of headline and header image, the use of social media accounts, etc.). I will encounter more challenges similar to this in my career and the master program will equip me with the knowledge and skills to tackle them.

Second, the program will connect me to people and organizations that can help me create job opportunities for others in the media industry. I need to learn entrepreneurship and organization skills from others to fulfill my target. I also want to connect with organizations that we can work together to provide jobs and educate media professionals so that they are ready for the job.

Third, the study will help me develop a media literate society. I can improve my understanding of the condition of the society and develop skills to use the necessary tools for media literacy education. I can also connect and work together with people and organizations who have experience in media literacy education.
Katya, try to show a familiarity with the program that you are applying for in reference to your career. The method by which the study can contribute to your career ties in directly with the classes that are involved in the study of this course. The discussion will require you to infer both your strong and weak points as a media practitioner. So start with your strengths in terms of your profession and how these will be further enhanced by your study. You show some semblances of that in this essay. However, it should not be the focal point of the essay. As a student, you are expected to have some weak points that the program of learning should help you address by either improving your skills in that area or, imparting new knowledge that can help you to further increase your professional capacity. Basically, you need to expand upon the information that currently exists in this essay in order to create a better understanding of how these studies will contribute directly to the development of your career. The essay that you wrote is acceptable but can use further development. Hopefully, you will be able to use my advice in further increasing the reflective side of your presentation. Remember, further develop your strong points as indicated in this essay but also give ample attention to to addressing the weak side of your professional career because that is always the main reason why one opts to enroll in additional studies related to your current job. That will help show the method by which your studies will help to improve your career.

Home / Scholarship / How studying media and communication contributes to my career