Subjects you've had difficulty with.

chuncky13 8 / 13  
Discuss the subjects in which you had difficulty. What factors do you believe contributed to your difficulties? How have you dealt with them so they will not cause problems for you again? In what areas have you experienced the greatest improvement? What problem areas remain?

No limit on amount of words.

Tear it up. Not that good at writing essays would love for input.

History is not my subject, because history never excited me, it never caught my attention, it never made me smile, it never interested me. History is a bunch of facts that should stay when they happened, in the past. Every history teacher that I've had, has taught the subject lethargically, never with enthusiasm. Ever since I could remember most of my history teachers were a set image in my mind: an old, boring, and out-of-date teacher. I believe that the underlying reason for my difficulty in the subject lies physiologically because of the lack of enthusiastic history teachers.

Because I knew that I would have to deal with history for the rest of my life, I chose to develop a method to use so that history could get a grasp of my attention. Whenever I face a history problem: studying, taking notes, learning the section, ect, relate the situation to my life some way or another. For example, the Louisiana Purchase, was the purchase of land from the Spain for America. The purchase was done because the king of Spain was at war and needed monetary support in order to continue his efforts. I remembered this because I related it to my uncle Fred selling his BMW, for little money, in order to pay for his bills.

So far my new methods for history have worked, they have allowed me to study with ease. But even though I can stroll through history classes now, I still don't see what is so interesting about the history.
mle2010 7 / 38  
History is nothas never been my subject,.becausehistoryIt has never excited me, it never caught my attention, it never made me smile, nor has it n ever interested me. History is a bunch of facts that should stay when they happened, in the past. Every history teacher ...

... a set image in my mind: an old, boring, and out-of-date teacher . I believe that the underlying reason for my difficulty in the subject lies physiologically because of the lack of enthusiastic history teachers.

... I chose to develop a method to use so that history could get a grasp of my attentionthat would make history come alive for me

... learning the section, ect, I relate the situation to my life in some way or another.
... the purchase of land from the Spain for America. The purchase wasdonetransaction took place because the king of Spain ...
I remembered thisThis stuck in my mind because I related it to my U ncle Fred.Hesellingsold his BMW, for little moneyfor less money than it was worth because he needed to pay his bills., in order to pay for his bills.

So far my new methods for history havehas worked, they haveit has allowed me to study with ease.
... what is so interesting about the historyit .

The part I italicized first seems slightly ignorant and rude. For the second one, do you think maybe it was psychologically because you simply made a preconceived notion in your head that you would not like history nor the person who taught it. You make a lot of generalizations without redemption.

The final sentence seems to be in the same inappropriate tone. This school might not like seeing your distaste for a subject. You should suck up your pride and write about how this new method a and studying technique help you succeed in history and learn to understand and love it more. I would not tell a college that you hate an important subject. Ever hear the quote "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." It is the first thing that probably comes to mind for most of your readers. Colleges don't want people who are doomed to repeat history. Sorry if it was harsh, hope it somewhat helped though.
NT159 3 / 8  
Overall the essay didn't answer the prompt's underlying question. It started off very blantantly obnoxious for the reading to hear. Instead don't say that you don't like it. Say "My mind could never grasp the overwhelming history facts and data..." Also if teachers were your reason for having difficulties, explain more on how you had to teach the information to yourself. It'll show your capabilities to deal with dilemmas.

Oh sorry I forgot to tell you the underlying question: How has dealing with difficult circumstances developed your capabilities and expand your knowledge? That's just my guess to what it would be. The deeper a meaning you can extract and incorporate into your essay, the better.

Home / Scholarship / Subjects you've had difficulty with.