Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

I'm still not sure about what type of physician, that relinquish pain, I want to become in future

jalaquan 1 / 1 1  
Prompt 1:Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success?`

I really want to know if my essay is on the right track to becoming competitive. This is a rough draft so any and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks

I excel in math and science because of my keen sense of numbers, but I can thank my extraordinary great-grandmother for my interest in biology.

When I was eight, I found out my great-grandmother had cancer that was gradually making her health decline. Eventually the cancer spread to her legs and within a time span of a year, she became a double amputee. Being so close to my great-grandmother, this hit me hard, but I felt no sorrow because I knew she was a strong woman, and, being naive at that age, I hadn't thought this event changed her because in my eyes there wasn't anything on earth that could stop her from getting better. It wasn't until one day spending the night at her house that I had heard something out of the ordinary. I heard my great-grandmother groan.

This was unusual because I had never heard the sound of pain coming from my great-grandmother before. I peeped into her room and saw her rubbing the region where her legs were removed. She rubbed her legs with a grimace until she notice I was watching her. Tears had already started to roll down my face and all I could do was run into her arms and embrace her. I had hugged her for so long without realizing that she had started to cry with me. I asked her what could I do to make her better, and she said the words that I'll always remember for the rest of my life: "Just grow up and be the best that you can be." At that moment I made a vow to myself to find ways to diminish people's pain.

The next day, after the tears had ceased, I started to search for a way to help her.

I went to the library to look at books about medicine, some of which were too difficult for me to read at that time. I eventually searched the web for doctors who specialized specifically with pain,and I came across a variety of doctors who did so. At that time this was overwhelming. I hadn't known that so many physicians dealt with pain, so I felt pressured to narrow my decisions to a minimum. I discovered how nociceptors activate when pain is detected and how there are various techniques for temporally ridding a patient of pain.

This is what ignited my interest in biology. I had only scratched the surface and knew that there was much more to learn. I enjoyed knowing the fact I would learn more difficult branches of biology, such as cell biology and genetics. I always think about how science can help me change the world so that no one will have to go through the same situation my great-grandmother went through. I might not be able to ease my great-grandmother's pain now, but in do time I hope to help others who face similar struggles. Even so, I'll never forget who I'm working for when I push myself toward this goal.

Science is everywhere at any giving moment, and most people don't even realize it-that's fascinating to me. Being able to understand science isn't why I excel in the subject. I excel in science because I have realized that science can potentially benefit the world by ridding every one of the overwhelming amount of pain that comes with permanent procedures, such as becoming an amputee.

I'll continue to pursue readings about pain in hopes that I'll discover a career of interest sometime in the future. I realize that I don't have all my future plans figured out, and I'm still not completely sure about what type of physician that relinquish pain that I want to become in the future. Nonetheless, I am willing to put in the effort to learn as much as I can and if my future involves medicine and science then that will be a future I will be pleased to have and will proudly engage.

Home / Scholarship / I'm still not sure about what type of physician, that relinquish pain, I want to become in future