Surviving Awkward Networking Experience - A Chevening Essay

ndhnif 5 / 8 3  
Dear Reader,
Thnak you for opening my thread. Here's my essay demonstrating my networking capabilities for Chevening application. Please review and give feedbacks for me, thankss! :)

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship-building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future. (minimum word count: 100 words; maximum word count: 500 words)

the prestigious meeting

Nothing can be more dreadful than when I was informed by my boss that I should attend meetings on behalf of him because he had another important schedule. It was no ordinary meeting because I was going to meet several official authorities from the British Government. The notification I received from my boss four hours before my departure to London for an academic paper conference.

The meeting was held in London, there I would meet officials from the Department of International Trade (DiT), UK Export Finance (UKef), and Bank XXX to discuss business opportunities in the railway sector. Apart from preparing the discussion material, I was also studying the business and responsibilities of DiT and UKef, their mission, and also their project in other countries. During the meeting, I positioned myself as an active listener and sharing partner to the officials despite positions and age differences between us. Because I believe that networking is more about listening and maintaining the relationship later

The meeting went well, both with DiT and UKef. They are interested to expand the market for UK based company including Indonesia. Due to my position on a job right now as a sales engineer, I understand that not many UK Based products are used for the Railway Sector in Indonesia, due to the limited information from both sides. So, on the last day of stay in the UK, I met few potential partners from UK to get us know each other business, accompanied by a representative from the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy of UK. To maintain the opening chapter of collaboration between UK and Indonesia, I actively write follow up emails to them.

Experience taught me, the best way to engage with someone is to listen to their needs first. Upon finishing my agenda in the UK and back to Indonesia, I arranged follow up meeting with authorities from British Embassy Jakarta. There, we discussed the follow-up actions that we are able to execute in Indonesia. We consider few projects further, but the nearest one is not on my company's scope. Therefore, I was connecting people from British Embassy to a company who usually doing this work. Beside of that, we also examine the opportunity to collaborate in XXX which also becomes the main subject of collaboration between Local Government and UKef.

Apart from that, I also actively involved in XXX a join collaboration among companies of Indonesia, consists of XXX, XXX and XXXcompany with aim to offer complete turnkey solutions for railway moreover to third world country. Through the collaboration, I am grateful that I have the chance to meet and discussed with significant figures from other countries. Such as when I lead the welcoming event of Uganda delegation, which the 2nd Deputy Prime Minister also appears, as an mc and tour guide to accompany them to visit one of my company's project.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@ndhnif
Hi there! Thanks for being here. I'll give you feedback on your writing. Hopefully, this will give you an idea on how to better develop your writing for your Chevening application!

First and foremost, I appreciate the manner that you composed your writing. The essay appeared to be a clear-cut and straightforward manner of writing everything out. While I do feel as though the first parts of the essay are sufficient, I think it would benefit you if you included a small explanation on why you're writing this content. Something as brief as a sentence as a thesis statement for the entire essay will boost your writing tenfold.

When you're trying to relay your experiences, I suggest compartmentalizing everything and making sure that you're not writing excessively. This will improve your writing dynamics a lot more because you can convince the readers to engage and listen. Don't over explain your experiences; rather, always dissect what values these experiences have taught you, making it even more essential that you listen.
RSQL001 1 / 6  
The STAR approach would serve you well here. S - Situation T - Task A- Action R - Result, it will help you structure your personal responses because they're looking for highly personalized answers.

Home / Scholarship / Surviving Awkward Networking Experience - A Chevening Essay