I am targeting for the scholarship Erasmus Mundus school - Motivation Statement Guidelines

harisabbasi89 1 / -  
Hi,

I am writing my Motivation Statement for MS in Strategic Project Management (European) and I am targeting the scholarship. I have BS in Mechanical Engineering and have around 3 years experience in Oil and Gas Sector, where i was part of various projects. I want to switch from the Oil and Gas to Energy Development Sector and have the stories to put in the statement.

Deadline is near(Dec. 8) but I am pretty confident that I can write one before that. I had one drafted, but it sounds more like a resume than a Motivation Statement. Can anyone of you provide me with the basic guidelines and assist me with the whole process. I have attached my resume for reference.

fahmisadja 33 / 33 34  
Hi Haris,

Let me to give you some comments...

I'm glad to see your attachment. Well, in my opinion your draft is like resume, curriculum vitae or portfolio. If I'm not mistaken, you should explain in narration or essay. Sometimes we call it statement of purpose. Firstly, you should express who are you actually (what do influence your career) and what your professional interest (what is your plan after you finish your study in the university?).

The main purpose of motivation statement is to give a description about your goals and backgrounds that can influence your application to be accepted in university which you want. Moreover, at least you have to mention :

1. things that made you who are now.
2. what motivate you to do something and why i really want to do this study
3. why you choose special country or university to continue your study
4. why you choose particular program/major

You will write about your interest or passion later. So, some people tell experience to show it. I have some tips for writing essay based on experiences. Fortunately, I told to many people who joined in this forum. But, maybe it can be useful for you. Use method : STAR , your story should include, Situation/Task (what kind of jobs/responsibilities you tackle/handle or the situation that you experience), Action (what did you do to solve/accomplish/response problems/troubles/tasks/obligations/situation/experience etc.), and Result (what happen when you did your action). This method will help you to make the flow of story attractively.

I hope it can help. Good luck then :)
Well Haris, to think of applying for a scholarship is already a challenge and to take on that first letter to write an essay that is your one shot to the scholarship is a rather daunting task, so here are some additional guidelines you might want to consider.

- research for similar work for the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, this is not for you
to copy or anything because you know very well that you can do better than anyone else's work,
this is for you to have insights on what your essay is suppose to have.

- dedicate a good paragraph to showcase your inspiration and how this drive you to conquer the next level
- what can you do to help and contribute to your future community

Lastly inject a personal statement on your final paragraph to have that personal feel and authenticity.
When you're done, post it here on EF so we can assist you further.

Home / Scholarship / I am targeting for the scholarship Erasmus Mundus school - Motivation Statement Guidelines