"to teach art in the elementary school" - Narrative of Art Ed.

mgandrews 1 / 3  
I haven't used this site before, but feed back would be greatly appreciated. The guidelines are: A narrative/statement that responds to the question, "Why it is important to teach art in the elementary school?"

The sound of the metal seatbelt latching into its final destination is one that still to this day, rings in my ears. We were off again to the tutor's house. I am sure my Mother's frustrations of having three children, diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (A.D.D.), were smelt by the retired math teacher as she draped herself with Winston perfume from each puff off of her cigarette. I made games of my own during those many rides, trying to follow each tree as we passed, creating one line out the many dotted that lay sleeping on the road, even drawing designs through my warm breath on the glass of the back seat window. However, this time I began to notice we weren't driving down a road with crisp yellow lines, I began to hear the rocks hit the underside of the car. The old barn began to slowly reveal itself through the trees. I thought to myself "We've never been here before."

My brothers and I followed my mother into the barn; the paint was peeling off every inch of its old bones. There were tables filled with every art tool imaginable, from clay tools to paint brushes I had never seen such a bountiful amount of art supplies, it was mesmerizing. We were introduced to Miss Julia; we would be spending several hours in her art studio exploring various mediums and techniques.

I was allowed to choose the colors of paint I wanted to dip my brush in, draw with anything that would make a mark onto a sheet of paper, and squeeze the wet clay out of every orifice of my clinched fists. I was captivated by the freedom I was allowed. I was focused, relaxed, listening, devoted, and enjoying myself all at the same moment. Through every tool I explored my thoughts and began to discover new methods for their use. I wouldn't have noticed that my Mother had been speaking to Miss Julia unless I hadn't looked up to ponder through my imagination of what I would create next. I ran to her to and grabbed her hand, leading her around the studio to show my creations from the day. My brothers gave her the same tour as soon as I was done. The ride home was different, my perception of the world seemed more clear as I noticed more of it through the back glass of the familiar station wagon. I never stopped creating, expressing, problem solving, or hesitating my thoughts from that day forward.

While working as a Teacher's Assistant in the Elementary setting I often came across students that had learning disabilities, A.D.D., and behavioral issues. The place that these students most excelled was in the Art classroom. The excitement from the achievements and connections that these students made in that room was something I experienced so long ago. Often I was reminded of my own struggles and success by the positive changes that occurred through each child I was involved with. The undeniable improvements in their critical thinking skills, self-esteem, and collaboration with other students were remarkable. Art Education in the Elementary school setting awakens the mind into a world full of rich possibilities of embracing the love of learning, discovery, and awareness. Art is an essential role in creating the imaginative, caring, well-rounded learner.
tee1709 - / 2  
this is really interesting and convincing
it kept my attention throughout the whole essay
if anything, i would alter the last sentence. its a little wordy
OP mgandrews 1 / 3  
NARRATIVE of my ART EDUCATION

I've only had one response and I need help with content and editing, this is due this week.

1. A letter of introduction.

2. A statement that responds to the question, "Why it is important to teach art in the elementary school?"

Well I see that the responses you give other people are only a sentence or two long. One good strategy is to give other people substantial feedback and then link them to your essay, asking them to return the favor.

Your first paragraph is intriguing!! The description is very clever.
The old barn began to slowly reveal itself through the trees. I thought to myself, "We've never been here before." ---do you see where I added a comma?

Now, i don't know if I like this as the end of the first paragraph. It makes me think, "So what if they have never been their?" I think another sentence should be added to that intro.

every orifice of my clinched fists.--- I don't know... don't know about the word orifice here. An orifice is eye, nostril, ear, mouth, etc.

One last idea:
---that occurred through for each child I was involved with.

:-)

Home / Scholarship / "to teach art in the elementary school" - Narrative of Art Ed.