As a teacher, I pioneer the future by inspiring younger generations. "Chevening is looking for ..."

anestinelum 2 / 2  
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

essay on Leadership and Influence skills

As a teacher, I pioneer the future by inspiring younger generations.

A current example of my influencing skills was in 2017 when I was transferred to Government Technical College, Ndimi. I discovered that extra-curricular activities were omitted, whereas they are an important component of teaching-learning. I decided to create clubs, which serve as platforms for learning and talent exposure. First, I met the Principal, with whom I shared my passion, clearly outlining the importance of clubs in terms of academic performance and learners' exposure. Then, I talked to passionate colleagues, who took over some responsibilities. I elaborated activities for each of the clubs and supervised implementation. These clubs - English Language, Journalism, Cultural dance and Theatre Arts - facilitated the commemoration some event days like National Bilingualism and Commonwealth Days for the first time since the creation of the school in 2013. Also, learners had the opportunity to participate in an inter-school competition with Government High School, Nguila as part of the activities to mark the National Youth Week. My commitment motivated both colleagues and learners to follow, improved learners' language proficiency and overall performance and placed the school at the top, classified overall best in the Mbam and Kim Division for the 2017/2018 CAP examinations. Performance in English rose from less than 15% to about 30%.

Also, I discovered that learners were not confident about the career paths/specialties they had chosen. So, I discussed with the Principal and got his approval to organise guidance/counselling sessions in school. In October 2018, I proposed activities to mark the celebration of the National Guidance Counselling Day. With the approval of the school administration, I mobilised colleagues and students, encouraged a passionate colleague, Mr Awono, to moderate the round table discussions and led a presentation on the theme of the Day - the fight against drug abuse in schools - and awarded symbolic prizes to learners who participated in any of the activities - quiz, debate, sketches. nfluence the thoughts, attitudes and actions of others

Besides displaying my commitment and proactivity in my professional work, I also identified lack of proper guidance as a major cause of delinquency in schools, which mars the efforts of teachers. Teenagers, with time on their hands, turn to crime in the absence of useful activities and parental guidance during summer holidays, with consequences on their academic, moral, social and psychological growth. Thus, in June 2018, I conceived and started a summer program to train youths to make assorted jewelries with beads, within which is embedded counselling/mentoring. First, I shared the idea in my cultural associations; then met the women of my local church during group meetings. I raised funds from my salary and partnered with a colleague to train. Most parents were reluctant to abide but we kept encouraging. This maiden project, which we intend to grow into a summer camp, introduced eighteen youths to a new livelihood mechanism, dissuaded them from undertaking street survival activities and offered guidance/counselling for choosing a career path.
Raanita /  
Hi Anestinelum,

I find your essay good. Its shows your professional leadership. A small tip I'd suggest is for you to make it seem like its you who everyone looked up to as a leader. Maybe you could summarize in a way you influence the minds of people successfully.

All the best!
Chi, what you have displayed here are the foundation of your networking skills. These are not clearly leadership and influencing events. The way that you had to discuss and get the approval of various people in order to enact projects shows how effective you are in developing and nurturing a network within your profession. This is not a leadership and influencing presentation at all. You could put this essay aside and revise it to become your networking essay. You must write a new essay that will be all about leadership and influencing.

As a teacher, you can discuss your current position among the academic staff. For example, are you the head of a particular teaching department? Have you been assigned a project by the head of the department? Think about an event or assignment that took you out of the classroom and instead, had you performing with a team of peers as their leader. Show your management skills. Depict how you perform under stress. When pressured to perform, how do you influence the team to pick up the slack and get the job done? This current essay doesn't show any of these instances.

You show an ability to network properly, which means you have the potential to become an influencer and leader in your field of work. You should find the right example to get you on the right track to depict that. I hope the guide questions I provided you will help you find your perfect leadership and influencing event to present in the essay.
OP anestinelum 2 / 2  
Hello Madam,

I am challenged by your comments and thank you. All suggestions are well received and noted with thanks

Home / Scholarship / As a teacher, I pioneer the future by inspiring younger generations. "Chevening is looking for ..."