Teaching context outline and an action plan containing measures to benefit a community

d2ny 12 / 39  
-outline briefly your teaching context
-submit an action plan of what you would do to benefit your community with particular reference to in-service training

This is an essay to apply for a scholarship to join the annual conference in ELT (English Language Teaching) next year in the UK.

Posting multiple essays in different threads = suspension.

scholarship application letter

My name is Dany and I live in Kediri, Indonesia. I have loved English since I was a child because my family used to teach me English and I had been exposed to the language with cartoons, movies and songs. I performed well at school and these led me to study at English department in one of the best universities in Indonesia, Universitas Negeri Malang. Now I hold a degree in both English Literature and Education and have been teaching for three years at EF English First, the company that owns one of the English centers where I used to study.

I teach mostly young learners but I also have teenagers as well adults pupils. I teach various skills and wide range of materials using EF's curriculum and external supporting materials such as course books like New Cutting Edge and New English File. Using various techniques that I have learned from EF trainings and self-study that I do, we practice English skills and discuss the topics from the book where we use English as the medium of instruction and communication wholly. I love teaching English since I feel satisfied seeing my students improve their skills and gain confidence as well as become more prepared in their life in the future. This way I can help to contribute to my community and country.

Upon my return, I am planning to conduct training to my colleagues at EF. I plan to attend the talks related to teaching methods and references about learners difficulties and special needs students such as students with autism spectrum disorder, students who are dyslexic and students who has deficit attention. I will have learned plethora of new knowledge from the conference and they will provide me an insight of refreshed ideas and skills in teaching that will be helpful to disseminate to my colleagues. Those are the problems that we face at the moment since we have limited knowledge about them and it results our teaching practice not to be prepared for those challenges.

I will share what I will have learned by doing workshops for my colleagues. At EF, each teacher has opportunities to do workshops bimonthly to share their best practices and challenges and get feedbacks from everyone. This will be a great time to promote IATEFL's scholarships as well as its activities so that hopefully more teachers will interested to join.

Thank you for the opportunity. Hopefully I will make it.
Dany, your action plan for teaching upon your return is admirable and well suited to your line of work. However, your teaching context is muddled by the extensive presentation of your background regarding the English language. You don't need to outline your love for the language and your training in the field. When a "teaching context" is required, what you need to discuss is the current environment that you have to deal with in teaching the English language. In what context or method do you currently teach English? Would you consider it effective or not? If not, then why do you not consider it effective? After you present your teaching context, you can then indicate that these are the problems that you hope to fix upon your successful advanced studies in this course. The action plan will then present itself as the possible resolutions that you hope to enact upon your return to your workplace. Make sure that the problems you present will be related to or solvable by your advanced studies otherwise the teaching context portion will not be effective. You need to represent (for the teaching context):

1. Where you are teaching
2. What your position is and how long you have had the position
3. The problems you encountered that frustrated you when it came to teaching English to your students.

Try to bear in mind that you have to present the learner- generated context in terms that relate to the difficulties that you have in trying to teach English to your students. The relationship between your teaching context and the learner generated context should successfully combine to better support your action plan upon your return.

Home / Scholarship / Teaching context outline and an action plan containing measures to benefit a community