Telecom Company Specialist - Chevening leadership question

MohammadJB 2 / 2  

the art of motivating

It is worthy to mention that leadership in a simple definition is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. Based on this definition I can claim that I had a good background in leading and influencing people in different levels and steps in my life.

As a product specialist in one the biggest telecom company in middle east (MTN Irancell) I am in charge of so many products and projects and the most important one is self-care application named "MyIrancell" which is the most important channel for customers to manage their bill, account, packages and stuff like this. The workflow for this application is like this: Requester from different departments should send their requirements to me and my manager to validate and assess the items and prioritize them for the development. Next step is to draw a mock up and clarify the requests to IT and development team. After developing I should test and check end to end of the feature with Quality Control team and after launching the service I should communicate with brand team to promote and advertise the new change in different channels like TV, billboard, digital channels and so on. As it can be drawn from the process I need to debate, discuss and communicate with professionals with a set of skills different to mine, therefore, my first goal was to attain ways to communicate effectively with different teams from IT resources who have technical point of view to high level managers who have strategic and cost-benefit approach. Me as a coordinator will manage and handle all requests which come from high level managers. I will get all details and their needs, then I will explain all facilities and limitations we have in system to form the idea, and sometimes I totally convince them that the feature is useless or unnecessary at the time being, so somehow it shows my capability on inspiration and influence on managers. In the next step I should simplify the requirements to the developers. Working with IT man who are very strict and have zero-one approach is really challenging and hard but I always have warm and friendly and the same time very professional relations with them to handle the project smoothly with all tiredness and exhaustion which agile projects would have. Afterwards i should define test-cases and explain them to Quality Control team to test new feature end to end in order not to have any issue. Managing and handling quality control test-case are really time taking and vital because this tests should cover all aspects of security, user experience, functionality and IT guys mostly focus on technical point and its my responsibility to lead them to test comprehensively. Finally I should brief the idea and service to brand team to create proper materials for different type of campaigns and channels. All this process is really energy taking and very sensitive which I really did handle them smoothly and professionally without any serious challenge or conflict with different experts and managers in the company.

The "MyIrancell" application now has more than 2 million daily users which at the first day I accept the responsibility the figure was near 100 thousand per day. Being gold performer in the department also is somehow indicators of this leadership and influencing skills.
hichamsamma 1 / 2 1  
what you mentioned in your application is not really what they are asking for:
what you wrote are social skills that you gained from your work, not the leadership skills. it will be good if you can redraw your essay by stressing on how these skills helped you to make a real impact on your work and community
Jafarbekbo, this essay would have had the potential to become a leadership and influencing essay if you had focused on your people management, problem solving, and team building skills to signify the strength of your professional leadership and influencing abilities. Consider revising this essay in a manner that chooses to discuss a certain problem with the app that forced you to become a leader instead of a liaison officer between departments, which is what your current essay indicates. You see, being a glorified messenger in the office does not indicate leadership. Just an ability to follow instructions and explain the sentiments of others to your higher ranking officials.

At this point, this essay sounds like you just wrote down everything you could think of regarding your job duties and description, but you did not really give much thought to the leadership and influencing requirements in the prompt for the essay. That is why you wrote such a non-applicable essay as a response. You need to rethink the content of the essay. Make sure to focus on actual leadership and influencing. Don't bother with defining the meaning of the word. The reviewer will be looking for evidence of how you exemplify your leadership philosophy instead as it applies to your workplace setting.

Home / Scholarship / Telecom Company Specialist - Chevening leadership question