Short Term Research during overseas PhD for Endeavour!

Hi Forum Members,
Could you please read this below and let me know if its relevant for the scholarship?

Please summarise, in words that can be understood by a person outside your field, details of your proposed leadership activity, why you chose your proposed host organisation and what your proposed leadership activity is intended to achieve. Also provide details, including proposed dates and locations of any proposed fieldwork and/or internships. (300 words)

biofuels Combustion research

Combustion research using liquid biofuels at the Clean Combustion Research Group, University of Sydney to reduce emissions of toxic pollutants is the aim of the proposed short-term activity. The visit will focus on the collaborative development of an advanced mathematical computation software for the analysis of low emission burning of biomass-derived liquid fuels. I will be the lead developer of the spray flame research branch of this state-of-the-art software pertinent to industrial applications, such as furnaces, gas turbines, direct injection and rocket engines.

I chose the Clean Combustion Group as they have created an open-source combustion research software project, known as CSMS, which is very efficient and precise in predictions. Prof. Brown leads the software arm of the group with eight international institutions from Australia, India, China and Germany contributing to its collaborative development. I was funded by the Sri Lanka Development Fund to visit the group for two months in June-July 2018. The commitment of the group towards achieving low pollutant burning inspired me to continue my Doctoral thesis in extending their research to biofuel combustion.

Combustion though encountered in very simple applications such as cooking, is a very complex phenomenon. The burning of fossil fuels causes emission of pollutants, but cleaner combustion can be achieved by a better fundamental understanding of the physical and the chemical processes involved. University of Sydney's up-to-the-minute research training will help me mathematically predict pollutant formation and propose changes to combustion system design engineers for optimization. It will help improve the efficiency of power generation devices further leading to a lower emission of greenhouse gases. A scientific contribution may be expected in form of joint publications related to biofuel spray flames.

The visit is planned between 01/AUG/2019 and 30/DEC/2019 with most research to be performed at the Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Sydney.

This is for the application for the Endeavour Leadership Program in Australia. Thank you for reading and I highly appreciate your feedback.
GB.
You forgot to explain why you chose to attend the University of Sydney. It is not enough to say that they have cutting edge research in the field. This particular explanation needs to relate to the experiment and research you will be performing with the professor. That way you create a fully integrated explanation between the proposed leadership activity, the host organization, and the objective of the whole program you will be under taking.

Your layman's explanation regarding the details of the activity are still a bit complicated for the average reader. Try to simply it a little bit more by explaining what combustion research is about, what toxic pollutants it aims to decrease, and why this particular research is important. What is the final objective of the research aside from just lowering the emission of pollutants? Why is clean combustion important? Try to integrate the 3rd paragraph with the first paragraph as those discussions are connected and will help you better explain the point of your course interest. If you can better explain these parts then the essay will be easier to understand coming for the point of view of a person unfamiliar with the topic.

Home / Scholarship / Short Term Research during overseas PhD for Endeavour!