I think that good leaders are made, not born. Leadership and influence essay - Chevening Scholarship

Hassan91 2 / 4  
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

to become a successful leader

In searching for a basic definition of the word "leadership", I found that it means "the art of motivating a group of people to act towards accomplishing a common goal". The leader is, therefore, the person in the group that possesses the combination of personality and leadership qualities that makes others want to follow his or her direction.

I was born in 1991 during the Gulf War, and my family lived in a rural area. It is hard for a typical family to secure their basic necessities at / during war time. In the first years of my childhood, I worked with my brother in a stall so we could secure our education expenses. Working and studying gave me the skills on how to manage my own finances. I worked at night and studied during the day, and in elementary school, I received each year the top grade among students. At that time, my mathematics teacher asked me to teach the students, those who could not understand the subjects after class. At this stage, I had the opportunity to become involved in tiny leadership tasks. Thus, I commenced teaching a group of pupils, who subsequently became my friends in the future.

One of the best opportunities that influenced and improved my leadership qualities was the study of architectural engineering, because we have had to work with a team that contained 5 or 6 students on a variety of projects. Each time, I led the team and divided the tasks between us. I worked as a backup in the storage area or on any task that we need to enhance further. I was successful in persuading my group to stay in the department after hours so we could continue to work as a team, even at night. I communicated with our professor to receive the permission from? our head of department for that. At the end, we were the best group in the class. Additionally , I received the Tamayouz Award, which is organized by Coventry University in the U.K. whereby I was recognised as one of the Top Ten Iraqi Architects in 2014.

My international experience as Architectural Supervisor in the construction field with SK-engineering and construction company exposes me to work with multinational cultures (in a multicultural environment) and has broadened my horizons. It taught me a lot about how to be a good leader, to become very decisive and resilient. I have developed my team, so they can target their tasks, and I inspire the workers and cultivate teamwork among them. Therefore, I received an award as one of the top employees in the firm.

Ultimately, I think that good leaders are made, not bornI think that good leaders are made, not born. If a certain individual has the desire and self-discipline, they can become a successful leader. Not only that, but also there are certain skills a person has to know, and do. These do not come by chance or naturally, but they are acquired through hard work, dedication and perseverance.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@Hassan91
Hey. It's great to see repetitive names on the platform. We love being able to assist you in these endeavors. I hope this feedback suits you!

Firstly, the introductory paragraph is great. If you can reformat this to be more structured (ie. simpler sentences, transition better, ensure that you are specifying more than being vague), it will be helpful to clarify to the evaluators the standard that you are imposing.

The two succeeding paragraphs afterwards are sufficient, I find. You were able to subtly talk about your successes and how you made it through. Keep this up!

I would appreciate if you had added more concrete details into the last two paragraphs, especially the second to the last. Despite how well-composed they are, they need to be more specific. For instance, when you talk about cultivating teamwork, you can talk briefly about an experience that you had that would reflect this.
OP Hassan91 2 / 4  
@Maria
Hi, Maria
I appreciated your support and help to identify the areas that I need to work on. Your comments are clear and hit the nail exactly, I will work on that immediately.

Home / Scholarship / I think that good leaders are made, not born. Leadership and influence essay - Chevening Scholarship