Unanswered [2] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES
 DrAfT!
Home / Scholarship   4

Three MSc courses for wildlife conservation. Why do I have chosen them?

Hey guys! This is my draft for the essay about the three courses i have chosen for the Chevening applycation. I'd like to count on you to proofread it for me. I'm not an english native speaker, so it is probably full of grammar and spelling mistakes, and poor in vocabulary. Do you guys think i managed to answer the prompt bellow?

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words).

biodiversity conservation programs in brazil

"Designing and coordinating effective biodiversity conservation programs is one of the critical challenges our society is currently facing. As a conservation biologist, I have chosen three MSc courses that directly link my professional and academic background with my desire to create new strategies and improve the ongoing environmental policies in Brazil.

The Nottingham Trent University has been carrying out high impact research, as endorsed by the Research Excellence Framework. Its collaboration with several research councils for the development of species reintroduction strategies, such as the International Union for Conservation of Nature, will allow me to build a strong network with institutions engaged on biodiversity conservation.

In order to carry out postgraduate research, I plan to join the School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences, undertaking the MSc course "Endangered Species Recovery and Conservation". I am especially interested in areas such as behavioural enhancement and species recovery, in which research have been carried out by the Animal, Equine and Veterinary Nursing academic team.

As my second choice, the MSc in Wild Animal Biology course designed by the Royal Veterinary College with the Zoological Society of London is perfectly aligned with my profound interest in conservation biology. This course focus on health management of captive and free-living wild animals, which represents a bridge between my experience as a biologist and the veterinarian perspective for conservation techniques.

The University of London multidisciplinary environment will broaden my understandings on wildlife management. In addition, London's multiculturalism will allow me to experience an inclusive atmosphere and enhance my abilities to understand people.

My experience as the head biologist at the wildlife project I work for showed me that basic competences in veterinary techniques, as well as a systematic understanding of wild animal conservation, epidemiology, diagnosis and control of diseases are critical for wildlife conservation. These abilities are all present in the course module.

Synthesizing the knowledge provided by this course with my experience in wild animal management will qualify me to carry out my PhD studies in biodiversity conservation and run import wildlife programs in Brazil.

The School of Science and the Environment of the Manchester Metropolitan University is my third choice. It has strong research links with South America, where Dr Alexander Lee have been carrying out studies in the Brazilian Amazon.

Since birds are the biggest victims of animal trafficking in Brazil and the most frequent taxon in the wild animal release project I work for, and several endemic species, such as the blue macaw (Cyanopsitta spixii) and the glaucous macaw (Anodorhynchus glaucus) are critically endangered, I intend to devote even more to the conservation of this group.

The MSc in Bird Conservation is, overall, an opportunity to experience ongoing international research projects in Tanzania, Kenya, the Philippines, Mauritius and Madeira, and will provide me with all the necessary skills for the implement of programs in wildlife conservation. This is an essential step towards my desired PhD, and it will allow me to contribute to the improvement of the Brazilian policies for biodiversity conservation".

Thank you very much!

Rodrigo, it is 3 courses in one university or 3 courses in 3 universities. You cannot present 3 universities and 4 courses. You have to remove one of the courses from the first university choice or, remove one university and course from your choice of 4. Don't misunderstand the prompt. It is 3 universities and 3 courses or one university and 3 courses. So that means, since you picked 2 courses in one university, that you only have room for one more university and course choice.

Your essay is not properly formatted as there is no reference to your academic and professional foundation for the given programs, per university. Aside from that, you also need to present an explanation as to how each course can be applied to the future of your career. Therefore, major editing needs to be done on your essay based upon the excess course presentation and lacking skills discussion per course choice.
I have changed my chosen courses and my essay trying to follow your suggestions... do you think i'm closer to answer to the prompt?

Thank you in advance!

Designing and coordinating effective biodiversity conservation programmes are some of the critical challenges [...] policies in Brazil.

My first choice is the MSc Ecology and Evolutionary Biology course designed by the Queen Mary University of London. This course is inherently associated with my plans to apply innovative methodologies for conservation of endangered species within protected areas in Brazil. I developed broaden knowledge in modern techniques for environmental processes research, invasive species ecology and conservation genetics through my professional experience at the wild animal release centre where I have been holding the position of head biologist for the last five years. These skills were critical in order to achieve the number of 1500 wild animals successfully reintroduced in their habitat. By undertaking this course in the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences at QMUL, I would improve my ability to disseminate scientific knowledge and practical expertise to different researchers and organizations engaged on biodiversity conservation. This course would also qualify me to carry out my PhD studies in biodiversity conservation.

As my second choice, the MSc Applied Ecology and Conservation offered by the University of East Anglia perfectly aligns with my profound interest in conservation biology. Whilst undertaking BSc in Biological Sciences, I carried out research in ecology as my final project, which showed me that a systematic understanding of ecological survey methods, statistics and practical wildlife management are critical for wildlife conservation. These abilities are all reflected in the course module, which would prepare me to identify threats and assess environmental changes. Synthesizing knowledge provided by this course with my experience in wild animal management would qualify me to carry out my PhD studies in biodiversity conservation and run important wildlife programmes in Brazil.

The Nottingham Trent University is my third choice. The School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences has been carrying out high impact research, as endorsed by the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014). Its collaboration with several research councils for the development of species reintroduction strategies, such as the International Union for Conservation of Nature, would allow me to build a strong network with institutions engaged in biodiversity conservation. In order to carry out high impact research, I plan to join the NTU, undertaking the MSc course "Endangered Species Recovery and Conservation". I am especially interested in areas such as behavioural enhancement and species recovery, in which the Animal, Equine and Veterinary Nursing academic team have carried out research. The rehabilitation protocols for wild animal reintroduction that I have implemented at the Projeto Asas Vila Verde equip me with strong science based knowledge and practical experience to undertake this course. This is an essential step towards my desired PhD, and it would allow me to contribute to the improvement of the Brazilian policies for biodiversity conservation.

493 words
Rodrigo, this is one of the more interesting responses to the prompt that I have read in this forum in a while. You have successfully merged the representation of your previous education, work experience, relevance of the course, and your future plans into every paragraph. The university course descriptions work well because you have thoroughly analyzed the applicability of the course to your future plans. I do not see any need to change anything at this point in the essay. Everything works very well. The whole paper cannot get any better than this. I strongly approve of the use of this paper for your UK Study Plan application. Excellent work. You may want to review what you have written just one more time in case you missed some important information that you would like to present. At this point, you are in the final editing phase of the paper. If you decide that this is the content that you want to go with, then go right ahead and submit this paper. It can only help your application to a certain extent. Now you need to focus on your Post Study plan.

Home / Scholarship / Three MSc courses for wildlife conservation. Why do I have chosen them?