A topic that intellectually excites you about 'speciesism' - Scholarship essay

lanes 5 / 33  
Hi- I need this edited and revised and done by TOMORROW! if anyone CAN PLEASE HELP! any feedback, thoughts, comments, edits or help at all would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Describe an experience that you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. When answering this question, you may want to consider some of the following questions: Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact the way you or others experience the world? What questions do you continue to ponder about it? (500 word limit)

Sometime in February of 2008, I received an email, from an animal rights foundation. The words 'WATCH THIS REMARKABLE VIDEO' appeared in big bold font on the screen. Intrigued, I clicked the link and a video popped up onto my computer screen. The link was entitled 'Earthlings' and the video was comprised of a seven minute opening to a documentary film. With a 'viewer discretion is advised' warning, I scrolled my mouse down and pressed the small horizontal triangle. For exactly six minutes and fity-seven minutes my eyes were fixated on the screen.

Watching the film has drastically changed my life and the way I perceive things. While vegetarianism has become a popular trend in today's generation, the profound exposition of necessary animal rights converted me to not only stop eating meat, but to perceive human behavior in an entirely different way.

I commemorate the film for introducing me to a new philosophy, one that I had never even heard of before, speciesism.
It is more than just a theory for animal rights activist. The philosophy of speciesism is similar to racism and sexism. In which racist or sexist, feel people of a different race or gender are inferior to them. Speciesism is the theory of a humans natural superiority complex by treating other species as inferior objects. Extreme racist and sexist are not commonly accepted, but humans across the world take part in speciesism, because society allows it. The human abuse of animals through slaughterhouses, medical research, fashion apparel, and recreational entertainment is something I am strongly against.

The universal problems of speciesism, racism and sexism trigger a huge quandary in my mind. The term earthlings, is shared by all ethnicities,religions,genders,species, and organisms that inhabit the earth. I question what forms humans to feel dominant? What is the terminology behind prejudice? What triggers one being to inflict suffering amongst another being? A clash of interest trigger an ongoing violation of equality. Stated in the documentary,

"No matter what the nature of the being, the principle of equality requires that one suffering should be counted equally with the like suffering of any other being."

These moral values, developed centuries ago have become implanted in our everyday lives like a set of rules; but are not acknowledged in situations we as humans take part in, such as speciesism. The development of human behavior and study of humanity triggers an abundance of quandaries in my mind. I strive to learn more about philosophy, applied ethics, sociology and anthropology. Being introduced to the topic of speciesism has intellectually excited me, and has led to the desire to grasp other concepts similar to speciesism. I strive for the skill to have some ability in specifically understanding human behavior.
ishfish82 4 / 11  
You did a great job of showing your interests in this cause and the reasoning behind your interest. Your passion for the cause definitely showed through. If at all, I would say what you have done so far between Feb 2008 and now that has allowed your interest to progress. Even new things you found out about the issue you made in between, just add in examples to show that you have researched and taken action against it.

Thanks for the feedback on my essay and I hope this helps!
sambo595 1 / 4  

I do not think most people regard speciesism as a philosophy, to me it seems more like a label.

P.S. I have seen Earthlings, definatly changes things.
OP lanes 5 / 33  
Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it!!

So should I talk more about the way I am today.. as a vegetarian?

does the essay work with the prompt, did I answer it effectively?
It helps if you use some of their key words to show clearly that you answered the prompt. I see that you used excite, but not impact or ponder.

I'm sorry, I see that you probably already turned this in. I think it is very impressive! I only hope that the omnivorous, speciesist reader can appreciate you despite her or his inability to match your high moral standards!

:-)
OP lanes 5 / 33  
Hahaha! I know I tried not to sound to condescending to people who love meat and torturing animals! They lengthed the dead line is there anything else I should add to get the point across? or things I should possibly take out? thsi isnt the final final piece I edited it a little.

thanks
The essay is very focused already. It's good. You know as well as I do whether there is anything that should be taken out, because you know that an essay is supposed to create an experience for the reader. As you take the role of the reader, what experience does it give you?What message does it send? that is how to proceed. :-)
MoeMoe1 13 / 75  
"No matter what the nature of the being, the principle of equality requires that one suffering should be counted equally with the like suffering of any other being." Superb!!!! Good work
OP lanes 5 / 33  
HEY GUYS. WOULD THIS BE BAD TO USE AS A PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR THE PROMPT
Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION
It seems like a great one for that topic. I recommend using the word issue somewhere in the essay to show clearly how you are answering the prompt. That is not entirely necessary, but it is sometimes a good idea. It important to name the issue explicitly.

Home / Scholarship / A topic that intellectually excites you about 'speciesism' - Scholarship essay