Trained communication skills at Campus Concern Medan (CC-Medan) and Gerakan Mahasiswa Kristen (GMKI)

anarut24 2 / 4  

NETWORKING QUESTION- CHEV SCHOLARSHIP

During my study in State University of Medan, I am an active learner in the classroom and I had so many friends. For two years, I was not thingking about join any organization in or outside my campus until I realize, I need to develop myself more. I joined two organizations outside campus such as Campus Concern Medan and GMKI or Indonesian Student Christian Movement. Both organization has the different mission but same vision. Those give me many chances to broaden my connection not only around the city but also Indonesia.

I became a member of Campus Concern Medan (CC-Medan) in 2012. This organization provided some discussions about relation of politic, economy, social and education. All the members originated from different major and most of them are Chrsitian. Three times in a week, this organitazion brought us to visit other student communities from different campus or discuss with them in different places and some of them are Muslim, Hindu, Budha or Chatolic. This activity succesfully built my networking skills because I was the leader of communication department in 2013 to 2014. My job desk was calling other leaders of different communities to join our discussion, approaching lecture or senior from other communities as a presenter in our discussion and also planning all the activities related to relationship with other communities.

In the middle of my service, me and other members of CC Medan have been chosen as the committee of conference that intended to invite our seniors from all over Indonesia, some NGOs and some communities. As a leader of the committee, I had to approach them directly to their home or office and give direct invitation. Those methods trained me how to connect with people and build realtion face to face although sometimes I need to answer some questions about my organization and material of the conference. This connection were giving me bigger opportunity to expand my communication skills and networking which is very usefull specifically for my job as a teacher. This job require me to relate not only my collegues but also the parents of my students. I need to be associates with all students' parents to explain about student development in their academic. Also, to improve my teaching skills, I have to attend seminars, conferences, and trainings that obligate me to bond with many people and accept their perspective about education.

As same as CC-Medan, GMKI is also giving me this chance by training my communication skills. The commuinity expanded my network through some conference outside Medan area and required me to meet seniors who became a member of legislative assembly, government fuctionary, teachers, lectures and other jobs. Both of organizations are influence me bigly and created my personality.

A future leader not only need outstanding networking skills but also become a good influencer. As chevening mission , I truly believe that my skills is helpful to communicate with people easily.
Rutmana, do not confuse the networking essay with the leadership and influencing essay. Those are two different essays that you have to write. Do not refer to being an influencer in this essay as you did in your last paragraph. That is totally out of place and not within the allowable discussion parameters. Your last statement should instead discuss how your existing networks will help the Chevening scholarship promote their objectives and also, how your network can help the future scholars as you come into your mentor role as a Chevening alumna.

Now, with regards to the earlier part of the presentation. I can see how you would think that this academic and sociocivic activity would qualify as a network. Don't get me wrong, it does qualify as one. However, it should be given less of a focus in the essay because the actual target of the scholarship is to find individuals who professional or work related networks are in place to help the scholar advance his career after he completes his studies. Maybe even have a currently existing network that can help the current crop of scholars in terms of finding mentors or applicable training avenues for themselves.

Whatever the focus, you have to understand that your current example of networking skills is something that will limit you to only a particular circle of network and service. It is not the type of far reaching network that the scholarship desires to see from its candidates. Therefore, this networking essay may not be helpful to your application. That is, unless you can present a more profession focused network in your revised essay.
pier 11 / 37 9  
@anarut24
Here, some suggestion I can give:
1. Check your writing through a spell checker.(Thingking->thinking, Chrsitian->Christian, ...)
2. Check for correct articles (the different->a different)
Sentences that I think you should change because of either grammatical error or strange style:
Both organization has the ...->Organizations had different missions sharing the same vision.
I became a member of Campus ...->... in 2012 which arranged some discussions about relation of politic, economy and society with education.
All the members originated from different ...-> Members majored in different areas and most of them were Christian.

My general impression is that you didn't read your writing throughly, otherwise you could find and correct most problems yourself.

Home / Scholarship / Trained communication skills at Campus Concern Medan (CC-Medan) and Gerakan Mahasiswa Kristen (GMKI)