"Tree Planting Advocates" President - CHEVENING LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCING

Olusola 1 / 2  
Hi everyone, I am applying for Chevening and this is my leadership essay. I will appreciate if it can be reviewed. Thanks in anticipation of your favourable response..

learning, teaching, leadership, and community development

I am a young, talented, and hardworking individual raised from an economically disadvantaged background. I am very passionate about excelling in all my endeavors regardless of the surrounding challenges and pressures.

My leadership skills was sharpened during the compulsory one year service organized by the Nigerian government, where graduates are posted to different states in the country. This is aimed at creating oneness among Nigerian youths regardless of social and cultural backgrounds. As part of this scheme, every corps member is expected to join a Community Development Service (CDS) group. I joined a group called "Tree Planting Advocates" where I emerged as the president after actively participating in the group.

As the President of this group, my leadership has been able to establish a solid collaboration and partnership with some relevant organizations in Plateau state. Furthermore, I played an indefatigable role in creating a 5,000 seedlings capacity forest nursery and organize a tree planting and sensitization program at Kanam local government area of Plateau state in the first few months of the group establishment. I constantly oversee the group to be committed to tree planting, training and sensitization, desertification control, distribution of free seedlings and plantation establishment in some communities in Plateau state, Nigeria.

I always like to make a difference and enrich my community. I have gained a unique sense of purpose by serving those around me, which is manifesting in other areas of my life. Currently, I volunteer as a Project Lead at Prime Africa Foundation. Prime Africa is a non-profit organization in Nigeria that is committed to raising public awareness on the impact of open defecation, sensitization on environmental sanitation, and facilitating the provision of hygiene services. The various projects I managed have developed and expanded my social network.

Finally, learning, teaching, leadership, and community development services are of prime importance to me. However, demonstrating diligence and optimism in doing these aforementioned activities has brought out the best in me and has also helped me in improving my community.

One more useless thread title = ban.
ody0397 3 / 5  
Hi, I like your essay but I think you can work more on the fourth paragraph. I think the fourth paragraph works wonders for the networking essay rather than the leadership essay.
OP Olusola 1 / 2  
@ody0397

Dear Ody, thank you for your kind suggestion. I will crop out the fourth paragraph and use it to develop the networking essay. Thanks for your time.
Actually, you have not represented a strong leadership presentation in this essay. You should have developed your leadership discussion based upon how you rose in the ranks of the military during that one year service. To show your leadership skills, you have to highlight what rank you had when you finally left the military service. Extend the explanation to show how the military service helped you develop your leadership skills. Use the CDS as a secondary reference. Explain how you applied what you learned from the military training to take charge of this assigned group and how you influenced the group members to become successful in terms of the civic duties the group undertook under your leadership.

You should make an effort to highlight the leadership and influencing part in this essay. You should use the 4th paragraph to show your non-military leadership skill since you deal with various projects. Just omit mentioning the social network. Instead, think about the projects that challenged your leadership skills as a member of this group and how you dealt with it. Based on the problems you indicated, you should be able to come up with a very good example using that experience.
OP Olusola 1 / 2  

Top of the day to you. It is not a military service. It's called NYSC (National Youth Service Corps). However, thanks for the review.

Home / Scholarship / "Tree Planting Advocates" President - CHEVENING LEADERSHIP AND INFLUENCING