TURNTABLES/ MIXING SONGS; Gates Millennium Schol /Other areas of KNOWLEDGE or SKILLS

therealjso 1 / 1  
Other than through classes in school, in what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?

Every day you learn something new, whether it is how to play a game, or how to speak every language fluently. You are guaranteed to learn something. My brother and I are very close, even though we are nine years apart, we hang out and talk as if we were the same age. My brother is 26 and has been into music for 10 years. On his 16th birthday my mom and dad bought him turn tables and a bunch of records and from that point he knew he wanted to be a DJ. I am 17 and for my 16th birthday he bought me turn tables and records. I told him that I wanted to be better than he is. My brother took me under his wing and is teaching me a lot. He told me that he would teach me everything he knows about turntables, mixing songs, when to mix songs, scratching records and how to match beats. He has been teaching me this for a year and 5 months, and I've learned more than he learned in 3 years! The biggest thing he told me was that I could know everything about being a DJ, but if I do not have the skill, heart and passion to become one I wont be successful. He told me this the first day he started teaching me and it has stuck with me for so long because it is the most truest and most important lesson. I am Very thankful for my brother because with out his help, I would not have learned as much as what I know about DJ-ing as I do today. I acquired a lot of knowledge about turn tables and turn table history. I also acquired a lot of skills like how to match beats, how to count beats, how to scratch, and how to and when to mix. I have friends that are into DJ-ing as well, but are not as skilled as I am so I cant wait to share with them my knowledge and skill-set.
Dabbagh 7 / 11 1  
"You are guaranteed to learn something."
I find this sentence redundant and unnecessary.

" My brother and I are very close, even though we are nine years apart, we hang out and talk as if we were the same age."

My brother and I are very close; even though we are nine years apart, we hang out and talk like we are the same age.

You have a good essay. But it looks a bit all over the place, and needs more organization. I'm not good at proof-reading, so I will leave that for other posters to do. It looks like you wrote it in the last minute, so I highly advice you to go over it again and try to present your ideas more clearly.
hughj 2 / 21 8  
It seems slightly flaccid. I think you could add dialogue+details to make it more engaging.
Please see my essay.

Home / Scholarship / TURNTABLES/ MIXING SONGS; Gates Millennium Schol /Other areas of KNOWLEDGE or SKILLS