UGRAD - My dreams and passions of becoming a successful Interpreter may be fullfiled

getlazy 1 / 3  

Why would you be a great participant in Global UGRAD?

"When it rains in your life, focus on a flower which grows due to it" is a common phrase that I find myself in it. Rain was my parents' final answer of them not wanting me to become an Interpreter. They did not even want to talk about it because they thought it was not an important profession. That is why, my main goal was to somehow prove them wrong. Flower was my relatives' and friends' help, their belief in me and reassurance that my parents could change their decision. That means, even if I could not get it through my parents, I did not give up and showed my passion of becoming an Interpreter through my friends and relatives. Finally, I had a chance to apply for the profession that I loved most. This proves that I am not scared of challenges and can work hard to achieve success. I believe these qualities will make me a great participant for this program.

The reason I chose to become an Interpreter as my specialty is because nowadays people need the interpreter's services. Without their help there would not be an easily cooperating world community. Another reason is that I deeply love learning English ever since I was a young schoolboy. Stepwise, through my hard-working skill I gathered enough knowledge that I was nominated by our headmistress to participate in School Olympiad. At the same time, I have been involved in school activities and events. I was responsible for student's attendance where my mission was to check students if they were in class. From this experience, I became more active and responsible. Moreover, I am a flexible and determined person.

I should also point out that I have good sense of leadership. I was a monitor of my class for seven years. During my leading, I have faced many problems, difficulties and challenges, but all these experiences made me stronger and more powerful. That being said, when we were organizing some school-projects and meetings, I always showed my classmates clever ways to keep moving on, listened to them and supported their ideas and creativities. Leaders work alongside the people they lead to get to know and care about them. I believe I have demonstrated these skills at my University, which in result I was again selected as a leader of my group.

In the USA I would like to study International Relations because it has similarities with my specialty and currently the USA is the leader in this field. Volunteering in Department of International Relations, has helped me to learn not only about what the International Relations is, but also has deepened my cultural account with more information about our ancient history, tribes, traditions and customs which I am eager to share it with American society. Since I am interested in learning about diverse cultures and development of a global society, I can show Tajikistan to American students in a new light. In return, I will have a chance to look at things from a different perspective and try to live according to American way of life. UGRAD will help me to experience that and broaden my horizons in terms of learning about cultural and racial diversity.

In conclusion, spending a semester in the USA will give me a golden opportunity I need to follow my dreams and passions of becoming a successful Interpreter. I believe that I can benefit from this program and contribute to my country with the knowledge and experience that I gained.
abhi25 - / 1  
'That is why, my main goal was to somehow prove them wrong' will sound much better if you write it as 'That is why, my main goal was to somehow prove myself worthy(or something positive about your self)'
jennrobin23 - / 3 3  
I think your essay could be even stronger if you give specific examples. One could be where you say ". During my leading, I have faced many problems, difficulties and challenges..." You could add an example to show how you dealt with a problem and solved it.

Maybe rephrase your opening. "'When it rains ...' is a common phrase that I find myself in it.This is a phrase that has continuously applied to my life. " Or something like that.

When you say " I can show Tajikistan to American ..." Maybe expand on your new perspective makes you a good participant for the program.

"Another reason is that I have deeply love learning English ever since ..."
Good luck and be more specific with examples!
OP getlazy 1 / 3  
@jennrobin23
Thank you very much for your response!
What do you mean by this? "Maybe expand on your new perspective makes you a good participant for the program"
jennrobin23 - / 3 3  
@getlazy
What I meant to say is that give an example of how showing Americans a new light on Tajikistan makes you a good participant for UGRAD.
Parviz, this essay is too self centered and focused on what you can get, take, and improve for yourself in terms of your participation in the UGrad program. This selfish stance is what can tank your application because you are not revealing yourself to be an open person who is willing to undergo an intellectual and cultural exchange with the participants of the program. Your razor sharp focus on America alone as the anchor for your dreams and future goals does not leave much room for you to explain how the participation of others and your subsequent interaction with them will help you to become a well rounded interpreter and allow you to change your point of view about other countries and vice versa.

If you review your presentation with a critical eye, as I have to do as a contributor, the essence of what you are portraying here is a dictatorial personality that will tell others what to do, show others how to improve, defy anyone who tells you can't, and insist on your personal stance at all times. That is not really exemplary UGrad material. More importantly, you refer directly to why you will be a good candidate for the program rather than showing instances of interactive, formal and informal instances wherein you showed how you get along with other people in a situation that combines team work with leadership. These are the qualities that will prevent the one sided discussion that your essay currently has.

Remember, this is not a typical scholarship. This is an international scholarship to a university in a country that is known for its ability to be diplomatic, knows how to find a middle ground in times of discord with other nations, and practices responsible leadership in volatile instances through the use of discussion, agreements, and coalitions. These are the same qualities that they look for in their program participants.
OP getlazy 1 / 3  
Thank you for your advice! Could you be more specific which part is wrong or I should change?
rinirini 2 / 5  
That is why my main goal ...

... as my speciality is because ...

... according to the American way of life.

Home / Scholarship / UGRAD - My dreams and passions of becoming a successful Interpreter may be fullfiled