Why the University should select me for the scholarship for masters

Murtaza Ali 2 / 4 1  

scholarship letter

Despite spending 4-6 hours working at the shop, I managed to get admission in one of the top-ranked universities of my country. Being a shopkeeper, I learned a powerful lesson; that is time is everything and passing it the best possible manner is an "ART" that comes with experience, suffer and realization. The one who understood worth and complexities of time are the ones to rule it.

I belong to a middle-class family and live in a middle-class society where load-shedding is a common problem, and we deal with it daily. Many kids born in an era when it started have started to think that it is the only way and had been since long ago, and unfortunately, I was one of them. However, people have found some alternative solutions like Uninterruptable Power supply (UPS) and small scale generators to manage their electricity needs. Yet, they have lots of drawbacks and maintenance cost is high, and not everyone can afford it. Electricity, like water, food, and oxygen, has become a basic need for a human being. Moreover, to live a comfortable and prosperous life, a continuous supply of electricity is a must. However, our government has been unable to provide it. Unfortunately, the problem does not seem to be solved until the next 5 to 10 years and requires attention and huge investment.

In such situations, engineers have to develop innovatively and out of box solutions to tackle the problem. I still remember when I was attending a workshop on Arduino in one of our University's departments. That day I realized how much power programming languages have to solve our daily life problems. However, It was an only two-day workshop, but the spark that it ignited in my mind did not let me sit back. That was when my life had a turn, and I began to view daily life problems in a completely different manner. Development and prototype and hardware were a thing of my interest for a long time, and with my intro to Arduino, it became even more profound. From that day, most of my semester projects were Arduino and programming based. Not only semester projects, but I also started to work on other projects related to daily life problems. One of them was "An Automatic system of underground and overhead water tanks," which got me 2nd position in a university competition. This achievement boosted my confidence, and I started looking at the other problems and realized that most of them are related to load-shedding of electricity.

So I began to think of innovative solutions and found that if the consumers and utility grid co-operate with each other, this problem can be solved pretty quickly. But unfortunately, neither the grid station nor consumers have smart gadgets to co-operate with each other. So I proposed the solution, which was developing a Smart grid and Energy meter smart enough to continuously communicate with each other and control the power during peak load hours. I took it as my final year project. I started working on it, but due to financial and technological constraints, I only developed smart meter capable of limiting the load during peak load shedding hours. But to provide a complete solution, smart grid and other aspects like proper communication technology and other smart gadgets are necessary.

And I think these both issues of technical and financial can be solved by "The National University of Malaysia". Firstly it is one of the most technologically advanced and modern University of the world with four world-class research centers and University ranking in the top 200 in QS world university ranking 2020. Secondly, it provides more than RM 10.4 million grants for research purposes. And I think that by taking proper advantage of these two benefits, I can develop a very effective and sustainable solution to load shedding.

If selected for the scholarship, I would like to choose sir Dr. Nor Azwan Mohamed Kamari from the "Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment" as my research supervisor. I have read the current research conducted by sir Nor Azwan Mohamed Kamari, which is "Optimal Energy Scheduling Strategy for Smart Grid using Wind Driven Optimization Approach." and I think my proposed solution has a resemblance to it. It will be very beneficial for me to work with sir, do my research work, and take as much advantage as possible.
I am not sure what university you are applying to and what the discussion requirements are for this scholarship essay. The way I see it, the essay does not have a focus on the truth intention behind your desire for the scholarship. You are talking too much about your background and your ideas about how to solve the power problem in your country. However, there is no stand out suggestion, accomplishment, or achievement that could set you apart from the other scholarship applicants.

How are you doing professionally in this line of work? Have you gained any sort of recognition within your company for accomplishments or nationally for any advancements you have developed on your own? These are normally part and parcel of the considerations for a scholarship applicant. The degree of your accomplishments as an undergraduate helps to show your potential as someone who can help promote the scholarship in the future.

Your reason for applying to the university does not really focus on the achievements the university has in line with your chosen masters course. You are merely paying lip service, letting the reviewer know that you have a good idea of the public perception of the university. The problem, is that you have not justified your academic reasons for choosing the university. It should focus on the professor and his research as it aligns with your instead. If you can align your research with the professor, and a justification for your interest in the grant, then you might become a contender for the scholarship. What do you plan to do with the grant should you receive it? If you can explain that, then the scholarship committee just might develop an interest in your application.

I am basing my comments on a general review of a scholarship masters application. I am not sure if you have any specific discussion topics as provided by the application forms. If you had some specifics to discuss, then you should have uploaded the complete instruction guide along with your essay for a more targeted review.
OP Murtaza Ali 2 / 4 1  
@Holt thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am applying for masters program at the National University of Malaysia. and as mentioned in the title they have asked me to describe " Why should they select me"

Home / Scholarship / Why the University should select me for the scholarship for masters