UofT in Life Science: Need help starting an essay on my career plan

Eram09 1 / 3  
Topic:- To write my career plan and describe the means I undertake to achieve my goals. [MAX. 250 words]

Hello,

I really need help starting this essay.

In short, my career plan is to finish my undergrad degree at UofT in Life Science while getting some paid/volunteer work done in the related field. This will help me in future when applying for medical school. If I get selected then I will study hard to become a physician.

So, how should I put that in paragraphs? Hints please.

Thank you.
name_here - / 37  
Perhaps if you began with something about why you want to be a physician and then use this to emphasize how and what you will do to achieve this goal.
That is not a career plan! It is too general to be a plan. You can give an explanation of a tentative plan, and do not call it tentative. Everyone knows that our plans will change, but make a plan right now. Where will you be living in 10 years? What will be your specialization?

The trick is to give a well-developed plan, and that way you really prove something. Most people do not have a real plan for life, so if you do you are impressive. Be bold, and tell us the details of a plan, even though it is sure to change.
OP Eram09 1 / 3  
Thank you guys for your suggestions. But, I am still confused as to how to start. I mean what should I talk about? Examples please.
freezard7734 17 / 209  
You said that you are finishing undergrad study in life science. What are you going to do with your knowledge? By going into the medical field, what will you achieve? How will you help the world or your community with your experience? These are the kind of questions you should consider. For examples, think of the things you have done already during your life and reflect on how they shaped your plans. We don't know how you lived your life, but it definitely must have some impact on your future plans.
OP Eram09 1 / 3  
I wrote it but could you please edit it...its a bit over 250 words so please let me know what I can remove. Thank you.

As I was growing up, I found myself very fortunate to be born in an extended family where everyone is in different work fields. This gave me a wonderful opportunity to explore those areas to see what appeals to me the most. As I continued to receive more and more information regarding particular career, it was becoming extremely difficult to determine the one that was best, since they all seemed very interesting to me. After a significant amount of research, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. Even though becoming a physician is a long, arduous, expensive process, however it is a very rewarding career which can be attained with dedication. A career in medicine will be gratifying as I will be making a difference in someone's life, especially those who are suffering from diseases and may have no money for treatment.

Attaining a bachelor's degree is the first step in achieving my career goal. Therefore, I will be studying life science at the University of Toronto in the upcoming three years. Upon completion of my undergraduate degree, I hope to enter the University of Toronto's medical school for further studies. Furthermore, I have decided to enter in this occupation because it seems very fascinating to me since it deals with new discoveries, brainstorming, challenges, team work, extensive research, problem solving, and most importantly living things.

Also, I have done over 390 hours of community service in the related field. Volunteering at different places has not only given me an insight into different working environments but has also provided me with excellent knowledge and experiences. It also helped me to decide the career I want to pursue and opened a path to follow my dreams.
In that first sentence you switch from past to present tense. I know they still are presently in different fields, but stylistically it is good to keep it in past tense, so use "was."

Same thing in sentence 2:
As I was growing up, I found myself very fortunate to be born in an extended family where everyone was in different work fields. This gave me a wonderful opportunity to explore those areas to see what appealed to me the most.

Do not use even though and also however in the same sentence:
Even though becoming a physician is a long, arduous, expensive process, however it is a very rewarding career which can be attained with dedication.

Okay, I have some reading assignments for you. If you have your own books and articles that you want to read, then use them instead, but for now I'll tell you the ones that have helped me understand medicine:

The Body Electric by Becker
Unconditional Life by Chopra
anything by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
The Web that has no Weaver by Kapchuck

These books are not for everyone, but they happen to be books that tell AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL info about physicians. Your essay shows that you have not gotten very specific about what kind of medicine interests you. If I am wrong, I apologize. Please tell me what kinds of medicine interest you most, what books you have read, and so on, because the most important thing to do right now is become very knowledgeable about the various opportunities available to you. Even though you are just starting out, there is no reason you can't read books by physicians about the kinds of medicine they have practiced. That will help you decide what your specialization might be and also it will help you impress the AO reader. Without knowledge of the various directions a medical career can take, you cannot have a career plan.

Home / Scholarship / UofT in Life Science: Need help starting an essay on my career plan