URBAN-REGIONAL PLANNER UK CHEVENING - Help make my dream come true

jesalcu 1 / -  
I really appreciate your time giving me a hand!!!! Thanks in advance.

CAREER PLAN QUESTION

Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals. You may wish to consider how these relate to what the UK government is doing in your country. (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

After finishing my postgraduate, I plan to come back to continue working in Centro de Investigación de la Arquitectura y la Ciudad (CIAC) (Research Center for Architecture and the City) at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP) in order to consolidate my position in this institution by conducting my own research projects and teaching. CIAC conducts several urban and territorial projects, in collaboration with local and regional governments, that have had direct impact in policy design and communities' life. As member of CIAC, I would be able to expand my practice and network among designers, planners and policy makers. In the long term, I expect to become a consultant for the government and the leader of my own social enterprise focused in design and planning for communities.

Upon my return from UK, I want to make impact in my country. A member of CIAC Centro Tierra research group, we aim to design the escalation of innovative architectural design for high Andean housing feasible to be mass produced. This would mean a great opportunity to apply for Green Bonds, launched by UK government this year in Peru, to promote the installation of renewable energy technologies to ensure the independence performance of the houses.

Moreover, this year Peru has passed its first framework law on climate change. Being the third most vulnerable country to climate change in south america, this law will open opportunities to enhance my capacities in multidisciplinary and participatory projects to co-produce strategies to reduce environmental impact in rural-urban convergences, fostering community empowerment, that might be supported by CONCYTEC (Peruvian National Council of Science, Technology and Technological Innovation) and UK's fund agencies, as they have already supported this type of initiative in northern Peru, hit by unusual floods in 2017, through The Newton Fund. Additionally, as I run a citizen movement in my hometown, I have strategic allies who would join efforts to implement sustainable mobility projects establishing partnership between local universities, PUCP, the municipality and local stakeholders.

Years later, I would contribute as a governmental or NGO in urban-regional planning specialized in environmental quality and resilience. Thereupon, I would like to lead my own social enterprise aligned with the OSD11: Sustainable Cities and Communities, to undertake architectural and urban development projects for vulnerable communities. In the meantime, I want to keep on forming youth leadership inside my own citizen organization and as lecturer in PUCP.

My country needs more professionals in urban design and planning. The lack of them is one reason why our cities are not efficient or just. I want to be one of those professionals promoting and leading the change in vulnerable communities towards a future with opportunities in more resilient cities.
Jessica, since you are not explaining enough about the background of yoru own organization and how the UK efforts in your country may be supportive towards your personal group's plans, it would be better if you simply leave that out of this version of the essay. The focus of this essay should only be on 2 parts:

1. Your professional plans covering a 5 year period
2. How the Newton Fund and Greenbond opportunities will help move your career and organizational (comply where you work) plans forward.

The essay is not about the movements of the government to enact changes. You are focusing on the wrong aspects of the discussion. This should be about how you can enact change using your company and the UK assisted projects in your country. Start with the second paragraph since that pulls an immediate focus upon your work and the company you work for. You may summarize the new law and government plans as part of this presentation. Remove all other lengthy government plan references in the essay. Focus on your career and the Newton Fund / Greenbonds.

After presenting your career plans in the first 2 paragraphs, use the next 2 paragraphs to discuss the Newton Fund project in one and the Greenbonds in the other. Explain how these projects can be used to support university plans or the reverse. How the university can support the plans of these 2 UK supported discussions.

By doing this, you properly divide the discussion in the essay within required topics and give yourself the opportunity to properly explain your plans as well.

Home / Scholarship / URBAN-REGIONAL PLANNER UK CHEVENING - Help make my dream come true