Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

When used properly, technology can absolutely skyrocket the people language acquisition

adistavolt 1 / -  

Technology contribution to acquisition a new language

It expresses why I am so interested to join this program. It supposed to be my passion about language and technology. Language is a part of me and technology is a thing what I need as rapidly of global era. Language is a something need that people have to learn to connect people to other people. Language can be a communication tool, business, and also education. Currently I graduated as Bachelor of Education focusing English for education in 2014. As a requirement in the end of program, I made a research about using software as language technology to clear the lack the pronunciation in English. I am so passionate about technology thus I was willing to combine language and technology to support the education. It is entitled Improving Pronunciation by Using Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary Software. It was going through classroom action research which persuading the way to figure out the lack of English pronunciation. It took time during research before I thought how to solve it and combine with technology.

Currently I am working as an English teacher at Rumah Bahasa, translator, and Liaison Officer LO under the local government in my town. It has been almost 2 years. Rumah Bahasa is language center belong the local government especially city government of Surabaya who give language course for everyone as a free as a way to improve human resource facing the AEC ASEAN Economic Community. It is working with a lot of volunteer as a language tutor. I have so much charge besides an English teacher, such as designer, website maintenance, and computer maintenance, and English coordinator.

I thought, language is not only for communication but also education, how to encourage people to aware about foreign language especially English as a global language. It is talking about learning foreign language besides mother tongue. I thought learning a new language such as people trying to come inside in other countries. Firstly, it is about language, it does to prevent the language barriers for the communicator between speaker and listener or vice versa. Secondly, it is culture, how to speak the language in a proper like native speaker for its country. It could be totally different from mother tongue if talking about language roots. It supposed to be talking about linguistics.

Generally linguistic is a scientific study of language. It is focusing on language form, language meaning, and language in context. Linguistic analyses human language as a system for relating sounds and meaning. Relating sounds, it mentions about Phonetic which is studying acoustic and articulatory properties of the production and perception of speech sounds and non-speech sounds. Besides it, the study of language meaning, it deals with how language encode relations between entities, properties, and other aspects of the world to convey, process, and assign meaning, as well as to manage and resolve ambiguity.

I feel so anxious to persuade my next study for language and technology especially for English, while I heard there is a program of LCT language communication and technology. Before, I did a research combining about technology and language particularly for education as requirement to pass my bachelor. I did the research during the internship in one of public school and it was junior high school. I was teaching English for three months during the program. At that time, I had to figure out the lack of English at that school. I found there was a trouble for English during the students speaking. I tried to analyze and it was about pronunciation. The students did not know they speak in English not in a proper pronunciation. I should try to find a way how to solve it in straightforward. The students' pronunciation was influenced by the Javanese accent that mostly the students are Javanese, the teacher, and English is not using in a daily as surrounding even though during the class.

While I talked with some English teacher who put in charge, they were confusing also to clear it up. The teachers said their English mastery needs some improve to clear it up. Therefore, I talked to my lecturer about the problem, as I discussed before, me and my lecturer had a plan to combine the IT information and technology especially software with education, thus it assumed to take the advantages or the application of software. I tried to find it and should straightforward to use. I found software named Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary Software. It is software which everyone can learn British and also improve their spoken English skills and work on pronunciation. I did it during the program for three months. It was going through for several tests for typically research, such as taking a data, pre-test, and post-test. Afterward, the final data shown the students' pronunciation was improving. It persuaded the lack of pronunciation by using software, in other hand it is one of relevance of language and technology.

Why I am so interested about the program LCT language communication and technology because in the modern era every single thing can combine with technology such as language especially for education. In some places, the using of technology especially some countries in Southeast Asia people do not really attention about the advantages of it, here I am trying to reveal using language and technology for education. I am hoping the courses will be useful to anyone who wishes to understand how language relates to modern communication technology.

Presently there are a lot of impacts of technology on language learning. It can be seen every time technology is develop, people immediately enlist it in cause of teaching and learning a new language, after all, learning a new tongue is on many our bucket lists, and technology can help us learn quickly. Technology has change the way people exchange information. For colleagues sending company data across continents at the speed of light, to learning the whole new language, technology has made its presence known in no uncertain term. It has democratized language transfer. Instead of getting on a plane and going where the native speaker are, do not even leave the seat. Just visit the millions of website that reach language courses.

In the websites, people are using technology that makes the lesson come to life. They have memory games that make learning fun. Videos record the lessons and people can replay them at any time of the day and as often as like. People are not only listening to how the native speaker's sound, people are also doing it at their own pace. People are able to have translation services at their fingertips, before they even need them. At this point, there is really no excuse in not learning a second, a third or even a fourth language. Whether they wish to join the ranks of the polyglots or not, the resources are all waiting. In my view there are some ways to use technology for instant language learning, such as; change the language setting on the device or media social account, use instant translate from application on phone to learn vocabulary, making video chat with native speaker any time of the day, turning the radio into language classes, using YouTube to learn language acquisition, testing the knowledge through technologically enhanced language games, and listening to children's stories in target language.

Technology sometimes precludes human interaction. Some people just learn the best when interaction with others. Solo fights in front of the computer do not hold much appeal to them. There is just something about having warm body laughing people bungling of a new language. As it turns out, technology has its own shortcoming. People cannot lean on it too much. If people want a bountiful harvest, people need to put in the effort and the time to really do the hard work. Technology is the same. It is there to help, but it can drug people from bed in the morning and sit them in from of the computer and make them take the test seriously. Nevertheless, when used properly, technology can absolutely skyrocket the people language acquisition. Never before in human history has leaning a new language been so easy, so accessible and so cheap. What I explicated references why I have to take the program about language communication and technology, thus I can make something throughout the course and hoping it would be useful for everyone to learn language, afterward I will dedicate it to my home living and specially for supporting the education.

Home / Scholarship / When used properly, technology can absolutely skyrocket the people language acquisition