Using new ideas and strategies acquired from Chevening in Africa

Prince Ifeji 1 / 2 1  
I am happy to be part of this forum. please, friends, help me check out my essay for Chevening scholarship

1.Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries

now a Chevening scholar, next - the future leader in Nigeria

Leadership is about mapping out strategic frameworks that will enable one accomplish set goals. I have always found myself in leadership positions since my secondary school days when I co-founded a social club called Special Guys Club (SGC) whose objectives were to promote unity, share ideas, network, provide career mentorship for junior students and organise tutorial classes to prepare them for O-level and JAMB examinations. As the leader of SGC, I mentored 8 junior students who are now university graduates and 2 graduated from medical school.

After my graduation and internship, I was the facilitator for an occupational health and safety company where I used my communication and presentation skills to influence over 2,000 graduates across 8 states to participate in monthly training, the highest number the company has ever recorded. In 2016, Young African Leaders Initiative Network (YALI), a US initiative, recognised my contributions in Climate Change advocacy, civic engagements and capacity building with an award of a Green Champion. A few months later, I was invited by the US Embassy, Abuja, to attend a climate change video screening titled, "Nowhere To Run". This stimulated me to launch Affincecurite Training Limited (ACT), a professional training hub focused on manpower development in the areas of environmental health and safety with a peculiar interest in climate change (affincecurite). Our current project is to impact 2000 secondary school students in southwest Nigeria by providing training and stimulating them to take actions against climate change and environmental misconduct.

Because of my passion for better healthcare delivery, I volunteered with Project PINK BLUE (PPB), a nonprofit organisation that engages young people in the fight against cancer in Africa. I was the Lead Strategy and Planning World Cancer Day 2016 (WCD) Commemoration event during which free breast, cervical and prostate cancer screenings were provided for over 500 men and women.

In addition, during PPB Pink October 2016, I led a team of 200 volunteers from different ethnic groups, cultures, and religions to host the event. With our team efforts, we had 410 participants who benefitted from free cancer screening. As part of the leaders, my contribution was key to set up Nigeria's first patient Navigation Programme called Breast Cancer Navigation and Palliative Programme (BCNPP), an initiative established to empower women at risk, or living with advanced breast cancer in Nigeria. Afterwards, we launched a toll-free line known as 08000CANCER or 08000226237 to help in patient navigation. This platform has enabled us to navigate cancer patients to the nearest cancer centers. Currently, I am PPB resource person for Southwest communities.

I believe I have made great achievements and I hope to do more for my country and Africa upon returning. I intend to use the new ideas and strategies I will acquire as a Chevening scholar to improve the quality of health. It is my desire to keep using my leadership skills to influence young people to take actions that will make a positive change in the society.
Tanveer Ahmed 3 / 7 2  
Prince Ifeji,
You have not elaborated your influential abilities, nor substantiate them through your career. Your leadership abilities sounds good with your achievement. If you omit very first sentence that will not make any difference.
Ifeji, don't just list your leadership abilities in the essay. The reviewer does not care about how many relevant experiences you have. In terms of leadership and influencing skills, you must focus on your most recent undertaking as that is the one that will most impress the reviewer. What you have done in the past is impressive but not really developed. It is most important that you fully introduce a leadership activity that called upon your influencing skills. Pick your most problematic leadership activity that required you to bring the team together to focus on and achieve one objective. It is imperative that you make an impression as someone who has come to be admired specifically for your leadership and influencing activities. While the experience need not be professional in nature, as one can also exhibit the same skills in a community service setting, it still must highlight the required elements of the essay in order to prove that you have the ability to be a future leader and influential person in Nigeria upon your return.
OP Prince Ifeji 1 / 2 1  
Thanks, I knew something was missing. I will rewrite.

Home / Scholarship / Using new ideas and strategies acquired from Chevening in Africa