Vandy Chancellor's Scholarship on Values

Kristoria 3 / 51 1  
I still have 50 more words I could use to reach the max word limit. Any advice could be useful.

The values promoted by the Chancellor's Scholarship are leadership, scholarship, diversity, and citizenship. Please describe how one of your activities from the list above has contributed to your understanding of these values. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Everyone stood still. The atmosphere in the room gradually became more and more awkward. My fellow club members struggled to break the ice as the children stared at them, expecting them to say or do something. The Bustamante Hospital for Children takes care of some of the most severely ill youngsters in the country. Hence, it can be a frightening experience for first timers who are not used to the sights and cries of the children in pain. As vice-president of Octagon Club, it was time for me to step up and take responsibility of the club members who were under my command. This was my first volunteering trip as vice-president, but I had to think quickly or the trip would be a waste for the children. "What do kids love to do?" I wondered. "Play games!" I said to myself as I quickly recalled that most of the club members had tablets and phones with a variety of games on them. Slowly but surely, these games proved to be the ice breaker as I watched each club member getting more comfortable with the children. The unfortunate conditions of these youngsters can make it easy to forget that they want and enjoy the same things as any other normal child. Understanding this fact is the key to any successful volunteering activity with children. From then on, I could inspire my fellow club members to express themselves, so that the children can find joy in the time that is spent with them.

Octagon club has also given me the opportunity to interact with children who are economically disadvantaged. Every year the club has a stuffed teddy bear drive for less fortunate children during the Christmas holiday. This has given me a new perspective on the simple things in life many of us tend to overlook. My first Christmas drive proved to be a learning experience in regards to economic diversity. The children are always filled with joy when they realize that they will receive a gift for the Christmas holiday. Even though these toys are second-hand gifts, many of them no longer wanted or needed by their owners, they are grateful for the fact that they can say they got a present for Christmas. As vice-president at my second Christmas drive, I was able to bridge the gap between the club members and the children by showing them how to interact with each child. In this way, I helped to promote diversity to the other club members. Therefore, I have used my learning experience at Octagon to not only teach the members of the club the importance of giving back, but also how best to interact with those who are from different backgrounds.
ciennalongwood 3 / 9 1  
Hi!
Great essay! I would work on focus and organization. Breaking your essay down into coherent paragraphs will improve your essay so much! Including a introduction and conclusion will give the reader a clear roadmap of what you are trying to say.

I hopes that helps!
Kristoff, you need to directly pick out one of the core values described in the essay prompt and then relate it to the activity that you have been participating in. Clearly depicting how your activity and the core value have become a part of your personality. It is important to make the reader understand that you more than just understand the concept that you have chosen to represent. You should convince the person that you are the embodiment of the trait as well. After all, as a scholar, you will be expected to physically represent the values of the scholarship in order to promote their core values and objectives on a more public scale. Remember, you need to sell them on the fact that you will be the best walking advertisement for all that is good about the scholars being sponsored by this group :-)

Home / Scholarship / Vandy Chancellor's Scholarship on Values