Vision and Science - Leadership and influence / Chevening Scholarship Application:

Mohammedoat 1 / -  

the vision into reality

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

Hello, this is my answer to the question, feedback is welcomed and appreciated, thank you in advance.

It's affirmative that Leadership is the capacity to translate the vision into reality. I believe the next generation of leaders will be those who empower others, and that is the leader I aspire to be. Throughout my journey, I have accumulated quite an experience in leadership in theory during a leadership course by Harvard-Edx, and in practice during my work as a project manager and generally in my day-to-day life.

As a history lover, I grew up reading about how great leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and Martin Luther King Jr advocated and promoted democracy, peace, and human rights. With all the magnificent impact, they had over the world; I have always been inspired to contribute as much good as possible to the world in my own way, which is through science.

Influence is a fundamental aspect of life, and its assertion in our society is a double-edged sword, that I believe in Morocco its bad outweighs its good. Thus I believe we need to introduce critical thinking and empirical criticism in our society as a defense system against the bad influence. Chiefly my field of study which is science gives me a big advantage to influence people to think more critically about what they confront daily. Besides this influence would mean a great deal to our scientific community, in essence, scientific research in the coming decades will undoubtedly be the major factor in nations' development.

My curiosity about science, which was manifested through million questions was never fulfilled, simply because I am a first-generation college graduate and in my entourage, scientific thinking was never a common thing. Therefore, I feel it is my responsibility to alter how youngsters see science and advocate for knowledge equity and open science. This is how I believe, I would influence people.
The problem is that the applicant has discussed only the theoretical aspect of his leadership and influencing skills. This makes for an interesting overview of the skills the applicant might have, but does not indicate any effective leadership nor influencing experience as the scholarship review committee requires. There needs to be a definite narration of how he embodies his idea behind effective leadership and influencing.

Based on this presentation, the writer is clearly interested in becoming a leader and influencing people but, he is not a leader nor an influencer in his community. As such, he cannot be given consideration past the screening round. He must revise this to prove his claims within the presentation. A pivotal event that will highlight how he is an emerging leader and influencer in his line of work, or within his community, would amply satisfy this requirement. He seems to have forgotten the most important aspect of this essay which is:

using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

There is nothing here that represents face to face leadership and influencing, it is only theoretical in basis. Thus, there is no part of this essay that can be reused when developing the 2nd version. He must start from scratch,

Home / Scholarship / Vision and Science - Leadership and influence / Chevening Scholarship Application: