'I wanted to become a computer programmer' - Essay for an scholarship

cesaral1510 1 / -  
Tell us about your academic/career short-term and long-term goals.
How has your Hispanic heritage influenced these goals?

Since I was a child, my passion for computer programming started to develop. When I was seven, I started to play a strategy game called star craft from Blizzard Entertainment. That game grabbed my attention because I wanted to understand how it was created. I was astonished by all the thought process behind it and how everything was linked. Even though I was still young, my interest for computer software started to flourish.

At a young age, I decided I wanted to become a computer programmer. As time passed by, I started to like it more. I am currently a sophomore in college, and I am really happy with the career I have chosen. My short-term goal is to obtain an internship this summer to contribute and gain experience in my field, Computer Science. With that experience, I would be able to evolve more in my career and get more knowledge that can be applied to find solutions for more complex challenges. So far, I have created programs for my classes and some exercises online. For example I created a "Guess the number" game where the user had to input a number and he had three chances to guess it correctly. However, I would like for those problems to be taken to the next level. In an internship, I would be able to learn from experienced professionals who are passionate about their careers.

My long-term goal is to obtain my bachelor degree and get a job as a computer programmer. I want to develop software to improve the human-device interaction and increase efficiency. I know it is going to take a lot of effort and I am willing to do it because I want to be the best in what I do. Maybe it will take me a long time, but at the end it all be worth it.

Being Hispanic has inspired me because we are a minority in the engineering and science field in the United States. Only six percent of scientist and engineering.I am Peruvian, and I have friends in Peru who are studying engineering and they are doing really good. However, they cannot come here to study. I would like in the future to start an organization that brings students from Hispanics countries to the United States to give them the chance to learn more and become someone successful. That it's a long dream that I have but I know I can accomplish it if I put the effort and heart.
leviator 7 / 39  
That it's a long dream that I have but I know I can accomplish it if I put the effort and heart.

this sounds better as follows:

It's a big dream, but I know that if I put in effort with all my heart, I can accomplish it.

It's a very to-the-point essay, which is a good thing in your case, because it shows your character as a direct programmer. However, the starting "since I was a child..." strikes me as odd. You couldn't have discovered your passion for programming as a kid, just a passion for computers. So you might want to change that.

Good luck for your scholarship.

Home / Scholarship / 'I wanted to become a computer programmer' - Essay for an scholarship