Wanting make a change by revolutionizing the aerospace industry

JuanSebastianR 23 / 63 37  
Hello Essay Forum family, I hope you are all well and getting ready to start school wherever you are. The following essay is for a scholarship in the STEM fields, that is, science, technology, engineering, and math. This is my very first draft, and I would appreciate it if you could take time to leave feedback. Thank you!!!! :-)

In 1000 words or less, please answer the following questions:
How did you become interested in the STEM fields? How do these fields fit into your future plans and goals?
What actions do you plan to take to evolve the sectors of technology and science once you graduate?
What is one of your favorite emerging technologies? How do you see that technology evolving over the upcoming years?
What life experiences have shaped who you are today, and what challenges have you overcome in your education?

As you can see, this is a four-part question. I decided to write a complete essay connecting each idea and question into a story. Below, you will see in bold the areas where I addressed each question.

Memories often fade away, storing themselves in our heads, waiting to be triggered once again. As I write this essay, I dig deep in my childhood memories, looking for specific moments where my passion for math, science, and exploration began. One of those moments was in Pre-K at Taller Infantil Quiroga in Bogota, Colombia. My professor, Rose-Mery, has assigned us multiplication problems. I had the knack for these kinds of problems, often finishing and getting in trouble for not having anything else to do. Years later, when I turned 12, my mother decided to move to the United States in search of a better life. I boarded my very first airplane, which would fly us to Florida. Instantly, I fell in love with the big flying vessel, curious to know how it worked. Never would I have thought that my life would be dedicated to the aerospace world. Growing up in the United States has brought its challenges, but with my persistent and perseverant sense of self, I have overcome each obstacle, where I now dream of making a change in the world by revolutionizing the aerospace industry.

One of the greatest challenges I have endured dates back to May of 2009, the month of my high school graduation. I had already learned responsibility at the age of 14 by helping my mother with her cleaning business at night and also by working at the mall as a sales clerk whilst going to school. Also, I fell in love with college; during my last year in high school, I joined a dual-enrollment program that allowed me to go to college while in high school. However, on that evening in the beginning of May, our immigration lawyer called and told my mother that our petition for permanent residency would be on hold for three of more years. This impeded me from continuing to study in college. I cried that night to sleep, and with a broken heart, my dream of going to college seemed impossible.

The next four years were a time of growth for me. I left my childhood home in search of myself and what I was set out to do in the world. I worked several jobs, and at one point, I worked as a server, hotel manager, and front desk clerk simultaneously. Being employed continue to give me responsibility. It also prepared me with leadership skills, but I always kept dreaming of going to school someday, often telling people I was going to start school "next semester," uncertain of that truth. My permanent resident card arrived in the morning of July 15, 2013, more than four years after my high school graduation. Without hesitation, I applied to continue my Associate's Degree at Broward College. From my first day until graduation, I made school my main priority, gained A's in all of my courses, made close relationships with every professor, and I inspired students to dream bigger, teaching them the rewards of hard work and how nothing is impossible.

My passion for STEM also intensified during college, leading me to pursue a career as an aerospace engineer. I turned to space exploration and rocketry, one of my favorite emerging technologies. I spent my time in college studying, but I also dedicated my free time to investigating the advances of SpaceX and their landing rocket. Not only have they discovered how to reduce the total cost of a rocket's production, but these rockets serve for a higher purpose. They take satellites and humans to space to perform research aboard the ISS, research that benefits us humans here on Earth. As an example, Kate Rubins is aboard the station studying the microbiome, a bacteria in charge of our emotions and ability to fight off diseases. In the next few years, I see better and faster rockets, and I hope to be a part of this progress by shaping the next generation, our youth.

The week before my graduation from Broward College, I received my acceptance letter to Georgia Institute of Technology's School of Aerospace Engineering. One of the reasons why I got accepted is because of my admission essay, where I expressed interest in both space exploration and propulsion technology. Sadly, it is still a sector that needs improvement in performance and safety. The time it takes to travel to Mars would be over a year for a roundtrip flight. Astronauts will have to spend a year suffering from the effects of microgravity and radiation. If we had a set base in Mars, would need a faster spacecraft to take us there. My plan while as an undergrad at Georgia Tech is to get involved in research with faculty working on propulsion. This will prepare me to go to a Master's program and to grad school, where I will continue my research in advancing this technology, where space travel will become a vital part of our lives.

Memories are hidden treasure that can haunt us or benefit us; I chose the latter. When that kid boarded the Boeing-767, his heart ignited making him question and wonder. That boy still exists today as a grown 25-year-old. Although I had a difficult time getting to where I am today, I wouldn't trade any of my experiences for any other. As my life continues to unfold, I realize that there are no limits as to what I can achieve in my life. With my determination and ability to solve problems, I know I will contribute to the advancement of the space industry, and as a boomerang effect, benefitting people on Earth, both old and young, and the next generation of world-leaders.
Hi Juan, as I go through your writing,you definitely continue to impress us in making sure that each and every writing project you have, has the right approach for its purpose. As much as I love the fact that you presented your paragraphs very well, you also managed to create that sequence of ideas in continues format, this is an indication that you are streamlining each and every paragraph in order to create an overall picture of the essay.

Overall, this STEM scholarship is rather futuristic and very straightforward and indeed, there is no limits to what life can offer us. As the saying goes, if we can dream it, it comes true, have faith, be determined and act in aspiring your goals, this may not be long term goals but short term goals, leads to an even bigger achievement.

Furthermore, when you do answer prompts and scholarship themed essay, lean towards realistic examples, citations that happened on a first hand basis are definitely easier to elaborate than the ones that we just see or observe and this will also make our writing project breath life and make more sense towards the readers. I hope the insights helped!

Home / Scholarship / Wanting make a change by revolutionizing the aerospace industry